Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• Mayhem at Wicksteed!: May 25, 2019 - May 26, 2019
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem Weekend 2019  (Read 80703 times)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Mayhem Weekend 2019
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2019, 05:13:55 am »

and where is Monk???
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2019, 11:38:07 am »

ps what colour will miss mayhem be doing this year?

Probably all of them as usual!  %)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2019, 06:14:04 am »

major problem encountered.  sunday morning i was up bright and early......5am, and thought, I know, I will get my Atlantis out and have a shake down sail before Wicksteed.
so went to rollerskate (aygo) put rear seats corn and sorted junk out. went to shed and got the sails out then the hull. just before my side gate, we have a table so i put her on the table and think, let's change the battery while I'm here, it's easier than doing it lake side.  so  i take the center hatch up to get to the sealed deck hatch and saw condensation on the inside  hatch. oh look, guess who forgot to unreal and vent the boat after sailing her at Black Park in September!
now, the hull on the Atlantis is huge and beamy. I struggled to get her up the stairs then had to slide her on the floor through the door into the side loft (29 inches wide door).
step over her, stand in a corner where my 2 size 8s just fitted, pick her up and turn an deposit her on the work table.  that completed, I went downstairs, grabbed the ibuprofen gel and gave my back a Good soaking, grabbed a cuppa, the bleach, Mr muscle, wire wool, kitchen roll and a new bin liner. back upstairs. opened all 3 hatches, mould everywhere! i had not only forgotten to vent it, I had not even emptied the water from inside( she has always taken water on but i could never figure out where from)
so large 100ml syringe was used 4 times to empty the hull. I then got my 50ml syringe with the narrow tubing and emptied another 3 times from the keel area. she stank to high heaven. i then removed the propshaft, rudder servo, upper clear shroud protector, electronics board, battery and lower clear plastic tray. this gave me access to the lower inside hull. kitchen towel was put inside low down to soak up residual water and then everything inside was sprayed liberally with bleach and left hour an hour. all kitten towel removed, all surfaces wiped down and new kitchen towel put down and a listing of Mr muscle squirted in. left for another hour. in the meantime, I stripped the servos down, cleaned and re greased, all wires were taken off and wiped down with bleach cloths and 2 extension leads replaced for safety sake, due to some signs of damage.
she has been cleaned out again and will now be left in a warm room with several humidity bags inside her to totally dry out.
BUT......while doing this I found the source of the water ingress! as this is the v2 version of the Atlantis, she has a fixed propshaft(although fitted with motor and esc, neither are connected) the lower motor mount is actually screwed in through the hull from the bottom, with no sealing grommets!. now as i never built the original kit, I did not know this. So i looked on my plans for her, and none were supplied! this has now been remedied with 2 small o rings  on each screw and a liberal dousing of bath sealant inside over the screws. all the electronics work outside the boat. So hopefully next weekend I can start to reassemble her. with any luck she may be ready for Wicksteed!
full time penguin

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2019, 09:44:28 am »

Everyone should heed Mr Klunk's warning and give all your boats a thorough running between now and Wicksteed. I took the boat I'm intending on running out yesterday and gave it a proper thrashing, have found that I have a slightly dodgy Rx connection which has been sorted.

Things will always be easier to remedy now, so avoid disappointment at the weekend  :-))

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2019, 04:21:08 pm »

Just done that myself making sure the models I want to use work when I want them to work!

Sorry to hear about Atlantis, hope you can get her shipshape for the Mayhem weekend. We had a similiar mis-hap with our train ferry last year when we sailed her in the rain on a night/evening sail and we thought we dried her out but the the following week she was still producing water on the bench top. When we looked beneath we found that she must had impacted with something and there was a split in the hull right on the curve as it disappears below the waterline. I spent the next two weeks cutting out the damage, drying out, and repairing.
Looking forward to the weekend. :-)
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2019, 04:33:38 pm »

well all the bits work on the bench!
full time penguin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2019, 04:41:27 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2019, 05:33:37 pm »

Wot no pictures of vertical mist or airborne gazebos. Fake news  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Don't Assume Check

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2019, 05:38:43 pm »

He said it!
 ..... if it does, you're the scapegoat!   <*<

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2019, 08:27:44 pm »

I'm rubbish at predicting, especially things in the future.  :kiss:
Don't Assume Check

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2019, 06:07:00 pm »

Hi everyone

It was reported to me last night that the campsite fee discount wasn't working when contacting Wicksteed Park reception. Needless to say I was more than a little miffed and I'm glad to say I have sorted it out.
It must have been my expression that they realised something was wrong as I was almost seething with annoyance!

Anyway, I found out what was wrong and its been corrected- four new receptionists were recruited last week and it was forgotten to brief them... not any more I now add! My point of contact in the park has now reiterated the discount to the staff and if you have any issues mention Laura (senior receptionist) and she'll will tell them off.

I will mention that make sure that if want to camp mention "model boat mayhem" early on in the conversation and when they ask what size your tent/caravan is say its the smaller sized one and this will put you on the lower campsite fee as larger tents/caravan get charged a higher rate. Obviously don't say that I said that as you'll get a better deal if you go for the smaller tent size.

Most Important

Please do not try to book your campsite this weekend, the road works close to the park inadvertantly cut the telephone lines going to the park and they have an intermittent telephone service and the computers are all down due to the network failure! Try, like me, to book from Wednesday onwards, Wicksteed Park apologise for this inconvenience and will try their best to get all booked in when the system is back up and running.

Any problems don't hesistate to contact me, the quicker you tell me the quicker I can sort it out. :-))
Nick B

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2019, 05:47:29 pm »

All right! How's hidden, nicked, stolen my Club 500?!!   <*<

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2019, 06:11:02 pm »

I've just trawled down the whole of this thread and I still don't know if there's any procedure to adopt when trying to gain admission on the day. Do we get a discount on the usual entry fee? If so, how do I go about it? In the past there's been a downloadable "pass" to show but I can't see any reference to that for this year. Do help, please... I'm getting older by the minute!
DaveM

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2019, 06:32:48 pm »

Hi Dave

You’re not missing anything so you’re sane there.

Essentially you turn up to the main gate at Wicksteed Park where you get a parking ticket from the machine. The machine issues the ticket and raises the barrier. You follow the road around to the right and keep following it until you see a kind of a three way junction- you’ll see the campsite to your right-don’t go in to the campsite but turn left and follow the road into a field where you’ll see the car park. There will be Mayhem signs up to follow.
The car park fee is something we can’t get any discount on because it’s so variable. Essentially the maximum you’ll pay is £6 which is for all day parking, and for less time there are lower parking fees going down to free for 20 minutes! To pay for the ticket when you come to leave you have to go to the main complex which you’ll pass on your way out. There are three machine or you can pay in reception. And finally you present your ticket to the exit gate machine and it’ll let you out.
It’s changed a lot in the last few years as we used to have to pay £6 regardless if you were there for five minutes or all day and on the old system it was easier to set up a discount on it. The new one is fairer for everyone as it has ranges going from free to £6.
Hope this helps.
Nick B

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2019, 07:23:17 pm »

Do I need to bring a box of plasters Dave  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Steamed up all the time

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2019, 07:35:39 pm »

I mentioned many posts ago that reception had no idea about the discount. It was Laura I dealt with and I asked her to ring me back when she had clarification.
She rang back within the hour and took my £75 after discount but I never received a receipt nor a reply to my later email asking for one.
I just intend to arrive around a Friday lunch and block the road with my van until they get things in order and direct me to my field  {-)

SEE post 109
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54589.msg663588.html#msg663588
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2019, 07:46:07 pm »

Hi Andy

No need to worry and block the road :D

Whilst I’m not sure about the receipt you requested, on the Friday just visit the reception in the main complex and you get your campsite ticket and car pass from them. Whilst I’m not 100% privy to the workings of the park that’s what I’ve always had happen. When you get to the campsite you’ll be able to see the Mayhem encampment just as you enter and look to your left.
Nick B

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2019, 07:56:02 pm »

Steamboat apprentice and I  will be there about 12 0/c on the Friday, bringing sunshine, the tea urn, French hooch and some boats that don't have that funny wireless control, and maybe on fast steamer that does.....be afraid (I am )  %%
Steamed up all the time

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2019, 07:58:27 pm »

The wireless training continues young one! (Insert yoda face here! {-) )

Great to see you and Steph again :-))
Nick B

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2019, 07:59:29 pm »

Will they accept payment in Fairey Gold?

Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2019, 08:16:21 pm »

Do I need to bring a box of plasters Dave  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Bring anything you like, Phil. I have long since developed an intense mistrust of folding tables, although being tended by two Abbots at once was an experience to dine out on...
Enjoyed our last Mayhem get-together (2017). Let's hope the weather holds good. Will be forced to go to the pub in Nottingham on the Friday but Saturday looks clear - according to my social secretary.
Checking out Swordsman at Papplewick next Sunday, with luck. Hope to bring the entire Fairey fleet.

Admiral B
I suspect coin of the realm will be the only legal tender, so recommend you leave the dubloons at home... along with all the cheap jokes involving Fairey Liquid.

DaveM

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2019, 08:23:44 pm »

And I was going to bring Fairey Cakes  :}
Steamed up all the time

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2019, 08:39:59 pm »

:kiss: :kiss: DM

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2019, 10:44:19 pm »

Phil,
How about the mythical tenner!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2019, 10:45:52 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.