Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polishing varnished hull  (Read 2401 times)

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Polishing varnished hull
« on: April 21, 2016, 11:43:09 am »

Hi. Couple of years ago I built a gentleman’s run about, mahogany planking, several coats pf yacht varnish etc and it did and still does look very good.

Now for my question. I would like to just improve and deepen and protect the shine. The existing varnish is in perfect condition and I have been thinking of polishing it.  I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has done this on whether it’s a good idea, what to us, and how to do it. Also have done this will I then have to redo it on a regular basis.

In short any relevant advice.

Many thanks

g

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Polishing varnished hull
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 04:04:29 pm »

yacht varnish is soft so that it expands and contracts with the wood. So you may find that it drags when working the surface.Nemesis

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 04:18:43 pm »

If you polish the hull then the application of the polish will make it difficult to touch up any damaged areas as it will need to be completely removed first. The usual method for restoring/deepening the shine would be to give it a general light sanding all over with fine abrasive paper and then apply another couple of coats of varnish of the same type used previously.

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:50:21 pm »

Colin sorry to say this but you are incorrect in what you are saying ref polishing a hull.......ANY polish can be simply removed by the application of either Panel wipe or even your dish washing liquid.Just remember I do spray cars for a living and have to remove Polish off panels prior to painting !!!!

If you want to polish it up then use a top quality polish BUT here lies the conundrum......will it enhance the finish....personally not as it is not a 2 pack type paint and enamels simply do not respond very well to polishing ...my advise is to try a test piece first before commiting to a full polish....please DO NOT fall into the old trap of flatting down with wet dry prior to polishing...it simply WILL NOT work

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 09:09:17 pm »

I understand what you are saying Dave but you are a professional and you do a professional job. Amateurs may not be quite so thorough - like me for example.

But when I had a full size boat, the accepted way of reviving varnish,was to flat down a bit and apply further coats. The paint was a different matter, yes you did use polish on that to protect it from the elements. And when it eventually failed you stripped it off, reprimed and repainted.

Colin

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 10:42:48 am »

Thanks guys. Dont know where the polishing idea came from but am about to fit some new deck fittings and thought if it really was effective it would be a good time to do it.I wont be polishing. The varnish is in very good condition and if i do anything in the future it will be varnish. :-))

Hi ColinThis is the SG&K boat you were so very helpfull with I hope you are well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.