Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound module needed for a Lifeboat  (Read 2951 times)

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
Sound module needed for a Lifeboat
« on: April 21, 2016, 09:12:33 am »

Hello all

I've posted this in the electronics section but it's also a lifeboat question I guess.
I want to fit a sound module in my 1:12th Severn lifeboat and need some suggestion on what to fit. The real boat has twin, 22 litre, V10 Diesel engines and looking at the size of the exhaust pipes, I imagine they sound rather nice.  ;)

I'd like a sound unit that changes revs as the throttle increases, forward and reverse and I'd like just the engine noise. No horns, sirens, radio calls etc....

Anyone know of an off the shelf unit that fits the bill? Has anyone tried recording a real Severn lifeboat and adapting the sounds?

Cheers

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

mersey dave

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sound module needed for a Lifeboat
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 09:21:51 am »

Have a look at this mate, I have one in my Arun they are brilliant.  :-))

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P100.pdf

Regards Dave.

inertia

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 10:21:06 am »

Have a look at this mate, I have one in my Arun they are brilliant.  :-))

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P100.pdf

Regards Dave.

Think ACTion P110...... aka Noisy Thing Mk2. It will be coming along very shortly and is more versatile and user-friendly than the P100....and cheaper! I'll try and get some blurb from CompShop to put on the Traders section here.
Dave M

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 10:39:48 am »

You could have a look at the Beier system as supplied by Astec Models :-)   You can download any sound you want onto Micro SD

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 03:20:51 pm »

Thanks all, That P100 looks ideal.
I assume the engine start sound is played when the unit receives power and it automatically goes to the running sound and plays the engine shutdown sounds when the power is removed again?
If it does that then it does all I want really and the other, switchable sounds are a bonus if I choose to use them.

Keep us posted on the P110 as that sounds even better.

Thanks again

Craig.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 03:51:06 pm »

There's also the benedini option. Arguably the best model sounds out there. There's also a Chinese version of the tbs micro which is about £17 off the website Banggood.com

inertia

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 04:30:08 pm »

Thanks all, That P100 looks ideal.
I assume the engine start sound is played when the unit receives power and it automatically goes to the running sound and plays the engine shutdown sounds when the power is removed again?
If it does that then it does all I want really and the other, switchable sounds are a bonus if I choose to use them.

Keep us posted on the P110 as that sounds even better.

Thanks again

Craig.

Not quite. You blip the throttle to fire up the engine Startup sound and it then segues into the idling sound, which increases to full revs as you add throttle. Shutdown happens after you've left the throttle untouched at idle for about a minute and a half. If you want to restart the engine you blip the throttle again.
P110 can deal with two independent engine sounds for twins (there are two throttle inputs if you need them).
There are up to eight additional "one-play" sounds and another eight looped sounds - all switchable from the Tx.
All sounds are held on an SD card (supplied) which you can program easily using 'Drag and Drop' from your PC. WAV-format files are standard.
The engine sound continues while any other sound is played.
The amplifier is a built-in Class D 10W unit (minimum supply 8v) so you don't require anything else except a suitable speaker and an SD card reader/writer if you want to program your own sounds.
P110 works with either brushed or brushless speed controllers.
The price should be less than £80 (excluding the speaker).
AND it's British-designed and manufactured!!
DM

Mods - feel free to move this to Traders Section - I'm not on commission these days.  <:(

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 09:04:55 pm »

Well, That sounds absolutely perfect then and sounds great to be able to start the engine with a push of the throttle. If the amp is built in then the wiring gets easier and as I am using brushless motors and lithium batteries, even better.

I assume it's component shop I need to keep an eye on then for when it's available to buy?

Maybe I'll be one of the first to have a go with it but seriously doubt I'll be the first on the water with it!

Many thanks

Craig.

inertia

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 11:25:34 pm »

I assume it's component shop I need to keep an eye on then for when it's available to buy?
Yes - very shortly (or so I'm told) - and a certain Mr P might just beat you to it... %)
I shall get mine this Saturday...... :P
Dave M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.