Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My daily trot - 2016  (Read 7893 times)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
My daily trot - 2016
« on: April 27, 2016, 08:09:05 pm »

Now that spring is here and the weather is improving, well supposed to be anyway! However, the light is now much stronger and the north winds do blow all the crud away, leaving us with a speckled sky.

The tide at lunch time produce some interesting sights probably the most interesting was the arrival of the Atlantic Conveyor and the departure of the Atlantic Star. These two vessels represent the old and the new in that the Atlantic Star is the first of the new G4 class conro vessels to come into service with ACL. The Atlantic Conveyor was the last of the G3 class to come into service over thirty years ago. The older vessels are gradually being replaced with the newer vessels over the next twelve to eighteen months.

LB

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My daily trot - 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 02:14:24 pm »

Nice pics L.B. I do enjoy your posts  :-))
Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:28:17 pm »

On the ship to the left (bottom photo), are the uprights baffles or container handling systems?
Pond weed is your enemy

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 10:26:34 pm »

tennis nets for bored crewmen.

I'll get my coat now.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 11:03:09 pm »

LB did note that......'The Atlantic Conveyor was the last of the G3 class to come into service over thirty years ago'..so assumed as an older style or date mechanical guiding reinforcement for containers being loaded?

When we watch the current day documentaries, it suggests that the container stacks have a small clearance in all vertical planes and it is the mechanical locking between each successive container in the stack that anchors them together.......the X type cross bracing installed after loading just keeps them from falling off their locking pins in heavy seas

When we think about this......vessel container capacity has gone from 500 to 18000 TEU %) ....vessels have become larger, but the shore side cranes have also become larger but also far more complex to cope with the higher and further reaches required in loading/unloading

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 09:53:49 am »

I did wonder as I had heard of containers regularly faling off and becoming hazards to smaller vessels yaughts etc. Sort of inert sea mines {:-{
Pond weed is your enemy

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 11:46:51 am »

LB did note that......'The Atlantic Conveyor was the last of the G3 class to come into service over thirty years ago'..so assumed as an older style or date mechanical guiding reinforcement for containers being loaded?

When we watch the current day documentaries, it suggests that the container stacks have a small clearance in all vertical planes and it is the mechanical locking between each successive container in the stack that anchors them together.......the X type cross bracing installed after loading just keeps them from falling off their locking pins in heavy seas

When we think about this......vessel container capacity has gone from 500 to 18000 TEU %) ....vessels have become larger, but the shore side cranes have also become larger but also far more complex to cope with the higher and further reaches required in loading/unloading

Derek
ACL are proud of the fact that they have NEVER lost a container at sea , their method of loading is permanent GUIDE rails that the boxes just slide down into position & lock , the new G4's are fitted out the same way .
Bill

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 12:20:39 pm »

And, a sight that'll never be repeated TWO of the G3 ACL's at Liverpool . . .

Their starting to look sorry now, must be doing minimum maintenance.

It's the Compass (backing into the berth) & Conveyor (going out) on the 28th April 16.

Bill  <:(

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 12:22:37 pm »

(I see that someone has beaten me to it) As has already been noted the uprights are indeed guides for the containers. ACL have never used the bracing method as this has many intrinsic drawbacks, in my view, not least of which is the stability and security of tall stacks which are in essence, just held (lashed) together with a few wire cables and locking mechanisms on each corner, top and bottom.  A another major problem with this method is that while the ship "works" when at sea they become slack and have to checked on a regular basis. Whist many stacks on other vessels using this method have collapsed in heavy weather ACL can proudly boast that they have never lost a container over the side in the fifty years or so that they have been in operation.
So back to ones Daily Trots: over the last couple of days I have had to fit in time at college, restoring my TR6, and the anticipated arrival and depart of some interesting vessels but as can be the case the weather intervened which can and does lead to much wasted time. This happened a couple for days ago when a vessel bring the new straddle cranes for the new L2 site was obliged to abort his approach and later anchor to wait more favourable conditions. I believe that this will be on today's afternoon tide. (HW 1643 if you're interested)
In the meantime the Atlantic Compass arrived from Halifax for the final time. She discharged a lot of containers and yesterday left the port for the final time to two long mournful blast from her whistle after thirty two continuous years of trading on the North Atlantic. She is now bound for Antwerp and Hamburg were she will discharge the remainder of her containers before she starts out on the long journey, around the Cape to Alang in north west India and her final demise.

If your interesting general shipping matters, tugs and towing then you may find the following sites well worth subscribing to:
clippingnews@maasmondmaritime.com
gCaptain.com
Towingline.com
Shipais.co.uk

Piccies will follow.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 12:39:14 pm »

Atlantic Compass waiting for Gladstone Lock to rundown 28th April. Al lovely spring day -not!

Then departs on the following day, sans ACL logo.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 12:39:57 pm »

more.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 05:54:27 pm »

Quite a few interesting vessels to observe over the last day or so including two fairly large container vessels making their first appearance in the port and then came the one which I had been waiting for the Zhen Hua 25. She is a former tanker which has been converted into a heavy transport ship to take new container cranes and their equipment from the construction company in Shanghai to where they are required in the World. The first set of cranes arrived in December via the Cape as they were too high to transit the Suez Canal; this consignment was able to do so as they are considerably lower. In point of fact they are not really cranes, they are referred to as straddle carriers as such they move the move the containers around  the berth or at least that's what I assume. She will be unloading for the next week before returning back to her base. There will be at least one, probably two more consignments of cranes and carriers.
We have a new pilot launch as well the Puffin.

1) Bomar Resolute
2) Puffin
3) Zhen Hua 25

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 06:01:13 pm »

Continuation.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 06:06:12 pm »

Thanks LB.....I didn't realise that the Suez had a height limitation.....or a fixed bridge that spanned the canal....

Courtesy of WICKI...... 'Some vessels may be constrained by the Suez Canal Bridge which is 223-feet high'

Have never seen Straddle Cars with such tall legs {-).... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 06:54:09 pm »

Dwarfs compared to the unloading cranes Derek . . .

20 of these altogether I'm led to believe plus another 3 large ones .
I think they stack Containers four high in the UK .
Bill

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 07:17:38 pm »

Yes Bill :-))...... I had seen the thread & images of the shore side container gantry cranes some months back here on MBM......

From memory, they also came in on the Zhen Hua 25 .......the vessel appeared to be lost  :embarrassed: at sea for a few days......between scheduled docking/unloading to the actual

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 08:02:01 pm »

The big beggars came in on the Zhen Hua 23 Derek ,it might be my imagination , but the Z H 25 looks shorter than Z H 23 , if you span the big ones from the screen they would be a VERY tight fit on the 25, I could be wrong . . . .
Bill

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 12:22:12 am »

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 09:40:50 am »

There's a video on you tube that shows the torment these big ships go thru it's . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmlTk_3NN_g
It's by MAERSK aboard one of their box boats , NOT FOR THE SQUIMISH  %%  there was a link many moons ago on Mayhem ,but I can't find it so I've posted it anew .
Bill

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 09:53:55 am »

Brilliant footage!!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 01:45:03 pm »

My old RN buddy said you could see the same thing on the main gangway on the old Ark Royal.
I never believed him, now I do.  :o
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Fubar

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 07:17:14 pm »

Thanks for sharing the vid, very interesting.
Also enjoying the pics of whats coming and going.

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 07:29:03 pm »

Next time you fly look outside and see what the wing is doing.

John

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 08:47:55 pm »

During the last day or so my trots and drives along and under the Mersey have yielded some interesting shots, principally these were the departure of the almost resorted Daniel Adamson, the former Manchester Ship Canal Tender and for so many years laid forlornly at the Ellesmere Port Boat Museum from Cammell Lairds yard for Canning dock in Liverpool. work has included completely refurbishing the boiler, engines and the interior of the vessel. work is not fully completed yet but the was plenty of steam on the boiler though not connected as yet to the engines, she will be in steam on the river later this year. there is also still some work to do on the interior of the vessel. however, she will be open to the public this coming weekend during the steam festival which is being held in the area of the Albert Dock; and no it has not been well published at all.
Before she could depart the wet basin thought the heavy lift vessel Jumbo Javelin had to depart. this vessel is on charted to bring wind farm bits over from Denmark to the yard from where they will be transported to the Burbo Bank extension and thereby create more eyesores and dangers to navigation.
The following evening the bulker Federal Oshima arrived just before sunset. Her cargo consisted of wooden pellets to fire our power station's. So instead of digging the fuel for them from our own resources we chop down trees in North America and thereby decimate the forest's of that region. Great - not.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 08:49:31 pm »

more
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.784 seconds with 22 queries.