Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project Two Feet  (Read 5723 times)

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
Project Two Feet
« on: April 28, 2016, 11:27:53 pm »

This is a build log of a two Footy class RC yachts. These have begun to be popular amongst the boat group at our club.

The yachts have quite a following and a number of clubs and associations around the globe.

http://footy.rcsailing.net/

http://www.sailfootyuk.com/

Another member of the club and a member on this forum found two Polish made Opalek kitsets at an online auction site. Have got both for a good price he handed one to me and we set about putting them together.

The photos in the posts below indicate the building to date, a few hours work.
"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
Progress
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 11:35:00 pm »

The kits.

Project Two Feet by White Anglia

The plans.

Dry fitting before getting the glue out.

The decks were fixed to a building board and the keel and frames glued together.

Delboys

Ours

Nearly ready for the hull bottom and sides.

KiwiCachers

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
Hull progress
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 04:02:48 am »

The next couple of sessions have seen progress made to the hull ready for putting the hull bottoms and sides on.

The mast tube has been glued in place along with the keel box, servo mounts and the rudder tube made from brass tube.

All the joins have then been given a generous application of epoxy resin glue and the whole frame assembly has been given a thinned wash coating of epoxy resin.

Securing nuts have been added to the keels and some brass tubing added to the supplied rudders.

We are going to deviate from the supplied kit by using 0.8mm ply for the hull sides and bottoms.

Delboy has already started fairing his keel to an aerofoil shape.

KiwiCachers

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Project Two Feet
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 06:19:35 am »

Hi, Antipodes,

Fascinating!  I am a footy freak enthusiast and have raced against, and  bought one of these from the designer in , I think, 2009 at the Footy Gold Cup in Birkenhead, UK

Its a lovely little footy, and the originals that he brought to the UK were made of "Jaffa" ply (the thin 3-ply that oranges are delivered in).

My mate Gary has/had one which was donated by the designer (whose name I will remember anon) and it has raced with some success once the rig was tuned a bit.

Little-known facts (except to Poles) is that the name is pronounced a little like "opawek"

Somewhere I have photos of the Polish fleet of them at the Gold cup.

Enough reminiscing - enjoy the build, and next time I am in NZ I will bring a Footy :-)  or two

andrew

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 12:05:51 am »

Hi Andrew,

The kits that we have are really well made, the ply is of good quality. Only had a couple of issues. There are a couple of locating tags off a couple of frames  - nothing a revision of the laser cutting couldn't remedy.

The language in the instructions has had us struggling at times, but we manage to work it out. Still don't know what the instructions mean by 'pads'.

Our only real deviation from the plans is to use 0.8mm ply for the hull bottom and sides, rather than the supplied material.

We have also got confused over the attaching the hull bottoms - the frames have quite concave shapes - but it appears that the hull bottoms do not get fixed to the frames, just to the keel, chine and transom, leaving a gap between the hull bottom and frames.

More photos soon.

The Footy is undergoing a bit of a revival at our model engineering club - I've also got two Footy 507's from Australia to build. Hopefully we will have enough boats and interesting to have some races, rather than just cruising on the pond.

Bruce
KiwiCachers

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 12:19:35 am »

Hi, Bruce
Happy Jedi day!

Nostalgia yesterday made me go and look at the what was published on Opalek - there are several sets of instructions in (sorta) English but it seems that you are moving along well.  Yes, the frames have concave shape.  I had never considered what or if the skins followed them. 
What I do remember is that the whole Polish fleet of them weather-cocked into the wind and could not be steered in gusts, and the same happened to the one that Gary was given in return for his Duck.  This was solved by radical changes in sail area using the original sails and mast position.

But I see lots of pics of them sailing well, so probably this has been overcome

Good luck, and enjoy footy sailing!
andrew
I did not know the 507 still existed!  I'm in Melbourne and would like , one day, to meet Andrew Cook, who crochets them from merino wool

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 01:05:50 am »

Hi Andrew,

With you, may the 4th be

A couple of pics of two of our club members Footys.

KiwiCachers

Goldcupper

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:55:16 am »

Ye Gods those things are ugly!  And footy in all respects. Looks like a cast off shoe with odd shaped sails!

Martin

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
Hull Bottoms
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 11:39:23 pm »

So last night we glued the hull bottoms to the frames.

KiwiCachers

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 08:21:18 am »

What glue are you using?   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 11:43:05 pm »

What glue are you using?   :-)

Hi Martin,

The hull bottoms were glued on with 4:1 epoxy resin.

The skeleton and frames were put together with cyno and then all the joints were reinforced with quite liberal amounts of epoxy mixed with glue powder.

Bruce
KiwiCachers

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 05:24:35 am »

Some more progress on the hulls have been made with both delboy and I nearly at stage where all is left is painting and then staring on the rig.

Keen eyes will spot in the photos will notice that the only real difference in our construction is the different method of attaching the bulb to the keel. I've gone for a bolt anchored in the keel through the two bulb halves with a nut securing it all, while delboy has gone for just epoxy glueing his in between the two bulb halves.

Attaching the bulb

At the same time both of us were getting the hull sides on - gluing with epoxy resin. Both of us had a bit of issue with delaminations of the 0.8mm ply at the bow. Nothing a bit of resin and filler wont fix.

Pegs, clamps, and bigger clamps...

In the photo above of delboys Footy you can see the holes in the top (actually the bottom) of his keel to aid the adhesion when he joins it to the bulb.

Two Feet - ready for some decking.

Antipodes Footy

Delboys Footy

Fibreglass on the rudder and keel

Decks are on.

Looking good...

KiwiCachers

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 12:56:24 am »

Time for an update. Things went a bit quiet, had a bit of a c*ck up, loss of interest and then a revival.

Putting the switch and cover in wasn't straight forward - and we made it more difficult by covering in the fore-deck.

Time for some primer.

White deck

And shiney bright green for the hull.

Looking good - but soon the wheels would fall off.

Just one more half turn....:censored: Dellboy made the stands, and even after pre-drilling I still made a mess of it.

Our keels were ever so slightly different lengths so some slight adjustments required.

Rudder post and tiller arm.

The tiller and servo arms installed (sorry about the lack of light)

Hull ready and time to start rigging.

It was here the wheels completely fell off. I'd spent a few hours sanding and painting, sanding and painting to get a nice smooth surface on the deck. I was really pleased with how the boat had come out and was really looking forward to getting it rigged and going for a sail. So Dellboy and I set aside a night to do this.

One of the things you need is an attachment point on the foredeck to attach the fore boom to. In mu case this was going to be a small eyelet. I dutifully drilled a pilot hole, tested the thread and checked everything. I then removed the eyelet, added a bit of CA glue and then put it back - and then at the last twist the eyelet snapped  - I was left with the eye and the thread was buried in the hull.

It's just a small mistake but I was very miffed. I'm sure on the scale of c*ck ups to make it was rather minor, and I'm sure bigger ones are to come. To get the thread out I had to drill around and then extract it. Then came the task of filling in the hole, and repainting the deck. Sadly I didn't take any photos of the repair.
KiwiCachers

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
Project Two Feet - Rigging and First Sail
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 01:39:10 am »

The rigging was reasonably straight forward although there were a couple of little changes on the way. We ended up shortening the jib boom a little and moved the mast crane forward a bit to give a better angle on the jib.

Lots of small knots.

Fully rigged and ready for water. Dellboy and I got new sails made here in NZ. Most of the photos of footys have the class insignia with the big toe closest to the mast when viewed from the port side. The one that came on the sails annoyed me.

Fortunately a colleague at work has access to a vinyl letter/shape cutter. Registration numbers and class insignia - all done - now for some water.

The remaining photos are of the maiden sailing on our pond. It sailed really well - it was a bit blustery on the day but it behaved like most other footys I've seen, unexpectedly turning in to the wind and trying to bury the bow under the water.  Really enjoyed the sail.

And some very short videos.....

KiwiCachers

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
Project Two Feet Thanks
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 01:41:34 am »

This is not something I would have done normally. Hadn't really had an interest in sail.

A big thank you then to Dellboy who found these kits on a local auction site and offered one to me, and for the help and advice putting them together in the early days of the build. Hopefully Dellboy will add some pics of his finished boat soon.  :-)

Having been bitten by the yacht bug there a couple of footy 507s and an IOM to build (not to mention the collection of powered stuff).  :o

Also a shout out to Spud for his mentoring and assistance with those very tiny knots.  ;D
KiwiCachers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.