Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: worm drive with limit switches  (Read 6477 times)

markrider

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
worm drive with limit switches
« on: April 30, 2016, 05:59:36 pm »

Hello
 I'm making a ferry with a bow door.I have made the worm drive and motor mechanism so that works fine.
I'm just struggling to wire the circuit 
What I want to do is when you move a channel on the controller say down the servo with move a micro switch so turning the motor and lower the door.  But I also want it to carry on untill it's down and the limit switch is reach this stopping it then push controller up to raises it etc.
The circuit for the switchs on for servo and the limit switch is OK but the bit I'm struggling with is how to make it carry on after releasing the transmitter I think I need to make a layching really circuit but I didn't know how to do that.
Hope that makes sense

Thanks very much

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
Re: worm drive with limit switches
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 06:10:04 pm »

Hi,

BarrrieW mayhem member recently did this - perhaps worth a PM

Check out post #71 http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53368.50.html

Jonathan

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:26:40 pm »

Mark,

I can't help you with the micro switches - I didn't use any. What I have done is use a microcontroller (Arduino) to move the servo to two set positions, depending on the position of the transmitter lever.
Before I did that, I used an Action Servomorph which allowed me to set the end points and to slow the movement, BUT you still had to use the control to decide how far to move.
Importantly, I used the non-centred control on the TX.
I think that what you want to do - keep the servo moving even if the Tx control returns to the centre - may be possible using an Arduino, but would need to experiment.

Barrie

PS

If you look at http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,40587.0.html - Bassplayer1 described the system you are looking for - can't remember if he gave a wiring diagram.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 06:35:22 pm »

The old way would be a couple of DPDT relays that use one contact to provide power to the coil so it self-latches and the destination microswitch breaks the circuit to disable the relay and enable the return relay - wired in a similar manner.

From a pulse input, it would travel to its destination and shut itself off. The next pulse would send it back to the start position.

There's simple circuits on google for this type of operation. Look at model train sites for simple end-to-end shunting tracks that do this.

markrider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 06:49:38 pm »

Thanks for replys.
 Barrie has used the servo to move the ramp so can control the server via the arduino.
 But I'm runing it off a motor just using the servo to switch the switch to startvit moving.
 I have a look at the train forums

Thanks

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 08:47:47 pm »

Not quite what I was thinking, but this works.

Your servo controls the DPDT switch, and the follower on
the worm drive activates the stop switches.

markrider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 10:43:49 pm »

Thanks for you  replys I think thy will help
Assume the DPDT switch works like a latching relay ?
All a great help thanks

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 06:45:59 am »

Mark,

Not as nice a diagram as Umi's, but this circuit uses micro switches rather than a DPDT switch. It doesn't latch. Push and hold the Tx stick one way until the limit switches stop the ramp. Release the Tx Stick and the ramp stays in place. Push and hold the Tx stick the opposite way and the ramp returns. I think if you want to be able to just flick the Tx stick, you need to add latching relays between the servo switches and the limit switches.
 Hope this helps. Good luck!
Barrie

inertia

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 08:35:19 am »

It strikes me that most of these suggestions would do the job if you were to use a fifth channel, typically operated with a 2-way switch on the Tx. Having said that, it would then seem a bit strange to operate a servo to throw switches to operate another servo (in this case a motor plus worm-drive). You could just connect one servo direct to the door(s) and adopt Barrie's suggestion of a P96 to control the speed and throw. That's one of the jobs it was designed to do.
DM

markrider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 09:25:37 am »

Thanks people
I did have a servo but it couldn't manage bring the door up even though it was high torque one so I made a worm drive and motor. It's quite a heavy door and pulling from the bottom so it's like the real ship as that has a hydrolic  ram pulling from the bottom.
So if I take barries diagram as that's how I figured it as well how would I put latching really in?
 I have a p96 but that won't work with a motor. I could get another transmitter with a switched channel but I want to use my transmitter

Thanks again

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 12:09:39 pm »

Mark,

The only thing my sketch doesn't give you is the latching. You would have to keep your finger on the transmitter stick until the ramp stops moving.
I have never used latching relays so don't know anything about them.

Barrie

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 08:13:16 am »

The rather fetching blue drawing in reply #5 does most of the job. 
If the motor drives to one end, it has its circuit broken by the limit switch at that end. 
When the current is reversed by changing the state of the DPDT contacts at the bottom of the drawing, current passes through the diode allowing the motor to start driving.  The process is repeated at the other end.
The DPDT switch (or 2 microswitches or wipers on a PCB arranged appropriately) can be worked by a servo for momentary operation.  The DPDT switch could just be replaced by the output from an ESC, but that would require that the operating signal be kept on until the motor has driven to its end point. 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 08:13:30 am »

The rather fetching blue drawing in reply #5 does most of the job. 
If the motor drives to one end, it has its circuit broken by the limit switch at that end. 
When the current is reversed by changing the state of the DPDT contacts at the bottom of the drawing, current passes through the diode allowing the motor to start driving.  The process is repeated at the other end.
The DPDT switch (or 2 microswitches or wipers on a PCB arranged appropriately) can be worked by a servo for momentary operation.  The DPDT switch could just be replaced by the output from an ESC, but that would require that the operating signal be kept on until the motor has driven to its end point.

Re-posted because the automatic random text resize gnome struck the first line and I didn't notice.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 03:37:09 pm »

You could get the whole thing in one brick with a car central locking mechanism - limit switches, motor & worm drive in one box - just hook an ESC to the motor and drive it at whatever speed you like.

andyquirot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 09:00:56 pm »

eBay item number:222455589122
These boards come with instructions on how to set a motor up with limit switches.

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 06:06:43 pm »

eBay item number:222455589122
These boards come with instructions on how to set a motor up with limit switches.
0                         results for 222455589122                                        
Follow 222455589122 to get e-mail alerts and updates on your eBay Feed.
Unfollow 222455589122 to stop getting updates on your eBay Feed.
Yay! You're now following 222455589122 in your eBay Feed.You will receive email alerts for new listings.

Could you post a description of item.
Gerald.   

Shipping to                           Canada - CANAfghanistan - AFGAlbania - ALBAlgeria - DZAAmerican Samoa - ASMAndorra - ANDAngola - AGOAnguilla - AIAAntigua and Barbuda - ATGArgentina - ARGArmenia - ARMAruba - ABWAustralia - AUSAustria - AUTAzerbaijan Republic - AZEBahamas - BHSBahrain - BHRBangladesh - BGDBarbados - BRBBelarus - BLRBelgium - BELBelize - BLZBenin - BENBermuda - BMUBhutan - BTNBolivia - BOLBosnia and Herzegovina - BIHBotswana - BWABrazil - BRABritish Virgin Islands - VGBBrunei Darussalam - BRNBulgaria - BGRBurkina Faso - BFABurma - MMRBurundi - BDICambodia - KHMCameroon - CMRCanada - CANCape Verde Islands - CPVCayman Islands - CYMCentral African Republic - CAFChad - TCDChile - CHLChina - CHNColombia - COLComoros - COMCongo, Democratic Republic of the - CODCongo, Republic of the - COGCook Islands - COKCosta Rica - CRICote d Ivoire (Ivory Coast) - CIVCroatia, Republic of - HRVCyprus - CYPCzech Republic - CZEDenmark - DNKDjibouti - DJIDominica - DMADominican Republic - DOMEcuador - ECUEgypt - EGYEl Salvador - SLVEquatorial Guinea - GNQEritrea - ERIEstonia - ESTEthiopia - ETHFalkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) - FLKFiji - FJIFinland - FINFrance - FRAFrench Guiana - GUFFrench Polynesia - PYFGabon Republic - GABGambia - GMBGeorgia - GEOGermany - DEUGhana - GHAGibraltar - GIBGreece - GRCGreenland - GRLGrenada - GRDGuadeloupe - GLPGuam - GUMGuatemala - GTMGuernsey - GGYGuinea - GINGuinea-Bissau - GNBGuyana - GUYHaiti - HTIHonduras - HNDHong Kong - HKGHungary - HUNIceland - ISLIndia - INDIndonesia - IDNIreland - IRLIsrael - ISRItaly - ITAJamaica - JAMJapan - JPNJersey - JEYJordan - JORKazakhstan - KAZKenya - KENKiribati - KIRKorea, South - KORKuwait - KWTKyrgyzstan - KGZLaos - LAOLatvia - LVALebanon - LBNLiechtenstein - LIELithuania - LTULuxembourg - LUXMacau - MACMacedonia - MKDMadagascar - MDGMalawi - MWIMalaysia - MYSMaldives - MDVMali - MLIMalta - MLTMarshall Islands - MHLMartinique - MTQMauritania - MRTMauritius - MUSMayotte - MYTMexico - MEXMicronesia - FSMMoldova - MDAMonaco - MCOMongolia - MNGMontenegro - MNEMontserrat - MSRMorocco - MARMozambique - MOZNamibia - NAMNauru - NRUNepal - NPLNetherlands - NLDNetherlands Antilles - ANTNew Caledonia - NCLNew Zealand - NZLNicaragua - NICNiger - NERNigeria - NGANiue - NIUNorway - NOROman - OMNPakistan - PAKPalau - PLWPanama - PANPapua New Guinea - PNGParaguay - PRYPeru - PERPhilippines - PHLPoland - POLPortugal - PRTPuerto Rico - PRIQatar - QATReunion - REURomania - ROURussian Federation - RUSRwanda - RWASaint Helena - SHNSaint Kitts-Nevis - KNASaint Lucia - LCASaint Pierre and Miquelon - SPMSaint Vincent and the Grenadines - VCTSan Marino - SMRSaudi Arabia - SAUSenegal - SENSerbia - SRBSeychelles - SYCSierra Leone - SLESingapore - SGPSlovakia - SVKSlovenia - SVNSolomon Islands - SLBSomalia - SOMSouth Africa - ZAFSpain - ESPSri Lanka - LKASuriname - SURSwaziland - SWZSweden - SWESwitzerland - CHETaiwan - TWNTajikistan - TJKTanzania - TZAThailand - THATogo - TGOTonga - TONTrinidad and Tobago - TTOTunisia - TUNTurkey - TURTurkmenistan - TKMTurks and Caicos Islands - TCATuvalu - TUVUganda - UGAUkraine - UKRUnited Arab Emirates - AREUnited Kingdom - UKUnited States - USAUruguay - URUUzbekistan - UZBVanuatu - VUTVatican City State - VATVenezuela - VENVietnam - VNMVirgin Islands (U.S) - VIRWallis and Futuna - WLFWestern Sahara - ESHWestern Samoa - WSMYemen - YEMZambia - ZMBZimbabwe - ZWE                                                                                                                                                        
 222455589122:

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

andyquirot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 08:13:41 pm »

Ebay listing

[/t][/t]Radio Control 2 way Relay Switch RC R/C Tank Boat Tug  A motor that you need to control with stops at each end

eBay item number:222517762411 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.