Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Royal Marine  (Read 20429 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Royal Marine, painting
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2016, 08:25:23 pm »

HMS Royal Marine.  Painting

Some basic painting techniques in this stage.  Whilst obvious to many it may be of interest to others as this aspect is often skipped in build logs.

To get a hull colour approaching what I needed I had to mix Tamiya XF-19 (light grey) with XF-2 (white) eventually reaching a 50/50 mix to get it light enough.  I find a 20% addition of Tamiya thinners works well for my airbrush.  Airbrushed topcoat applied, three light coats 20 minutes apart. 

A few days to let the paint dry solidly, then applied Model Technics Trim Line tape to define the under hull red lead edge.  Sticks nicely and takes curves / detail well when burnished down.  Next used green Frog Tape partly overlapping the Trim Line and some white bin liner to protect the model beyond this area.  Halfords Red Oxide rattle can is a good colour match for anti-fouling.

Usual pause to let the paint dry, then more Trim Line tape to mark out for the light blue camouflage areas.  Tamiya do nothing like this colour so used Humbrol matt 89.  Uncomplicated areas involved so brush applied.  Not keen on airbrushing enamel as cleaning the equipment afterwards is a real pain.

Between paint drying I made up the stand from dowelled MBF using the templates in the instructions, plus some 1.6mm MIL Neoprene affixed with impact adhesive.  Note one of the loose parts mounting strips with ident masking removed.  Instead of using the planking decals supplied I decided to use very thin sheets of wood veneer instead.  Planking lines applied in pencil.

Now I can start putting it all together.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: HMS Royal Marine
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2016, 08:52:19 pm »

I hate cleaning airbrushes at the best of times but can see the issue with enamels and the need for spraying white spirit about.
Pond weed is your enemy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2016, 08:57:43 pm »

Hi Bob.  Thanks for the info on muses and thinners. Always handy to know other people's ratios with the different manufacturers  of paint
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2016, 11:36:55 am »

HMS Royal Marine

With most of the work on detail parts done as part of the painting processes it is now mostly a case of identifying where the cast and metal fittings go from the plans, and fixing them in place.  A few bits of minor detail painting to do, mostly prior to removing parts from spraying boards. Again, easier to do before assembly.  Coming together quite quickly now.

The masts will be interesting, tripods of thin brass tubes.  I may make up a small jig for this so I can silver solder the joints.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2016, 11:42:55 am »

A quick question in general here. So I apologise in advance Bob , but were life rafts etc really yellow during the war?  I habe seen many modelled warships from wwii with yellow ones and just querying
full time penguin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2016, 12:01:55 pm »

A quick question in general here. So I apologise in advance Bob , but were life rafts etc really yellow during the war?  I habe seen many modelled warships from wwii with yellow ones and just querying

Not 100% sure Klunk.  The photos and illustrations show a kind of off white, but RAF ones were more of a yellowish orange.  Looking on Goggle I can see everything from khaki to yellow and brown.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2016, 12:15:51 pm »

That's what I've seen but nothing definitive
full time penguin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Royal Marine, nearly complete
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2017, 03:11:50 pm »

HMS Royal Marine, nearly complete

Following Klunk’s reply I did a lot more net trawling on life raft colours. Very little info out there, but I did find something that said in peacetime of that era the rafts were carried in their normal colour, but tended to be painted to match the superstructure in wartime.  Also looking at a lot of photos of WW2 model warships this seems to be what most modellers have done.  So, I have repainted them a slightly different shade of light grey.

More of the pre-prepared painted fittings are going aboard.  I normally use etched stanchions, but thought I’d try the Dean’s supplied die-cast ones with 0,5 soft brass wire.  Drilling holes in decks is easy with a tiny archimedes drill.  Opening out the holes in the cast stanchions not so easy, but all part of the part dressing operation.  Pre-painted, then assembled with lengths of rail, fitting and gluing as I went.  Not too many on this ship !

Photos of progress so far :

Still a fair bit more to do.  Stairs, more handrails, masts, rigging, life boats (Quaycraft), etc, but now fast approaching the status of a trip to the lake.  Should I add Milliput Splinter Mats to the bridge?  With detailing I never know when to stop  %%

Bob K

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2017, 03:14:05 pm »

Lovely job Bob
She looks very professional. Neat work with the hand rails.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2017, 04:55:32 pm »

Bob. I apologise profusely! !! I was a genuine question  as well. Everything I've seen is a dirty white in the few colour films and pics I've seen.....but most modellers paint the life rafaft yellow, which to me seems strange as the shop is painted for camflage but then having a garish yellow seems to go against the grain!

I owe a bacon roll next time we meet.
full time penguin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2017, 06:19:12 pm »

I would definitly sculpt some splinter mats and then call it a day as regards details. You could always go back and add a few more details during a periodic model tidy up?

I think the randomness of the splintermat detail given their flexibility adds a touch of life to what is understandably a mecanical straight line structure.

Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2017, 06:26:34 pm »

Not at all Klunk.  A perfectly valid question, which at least got me researching some more.  Thank you for asking.

At 619mm long this is less than a tenth of the length of the next 1/96 scale warship I intend to build, but at only £120 plus electrics the amount of detail makes it excellent value IMO.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Royal Marine, ready to sail
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2017, 09:50:30 am »

HMS Royal Marine, ready to sail

It always seems like the many last little details take forever.  Masts and rigging, various stairs and ladders, lots more handrails, and of course breaking out my tiniest brushes to detail seventeen 1/96 crew members.  Somehow no model is complete without some crew visible, plus it gives a sense of scale.  Several light coats of Pastikote satin clear varnish to protect the finish for sailing.  Lastly the glazing can go behind the numerous windows and portholes before the last sub-assemblies get glued on.  Wiring LED’s

I am quite pleased with my somewhat modified 4 inch gun.  It looks about right, especially with railings and crew alongside.

I find that these builds make a refreshing change from long term projects whilst still giving plenty of scope for customising or adding extra detail.  My next build will be ten times longer with a very high proportion of “scratch” in its construction.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2017, 08:40:22 pm »

That is a gorgeous model Bob. I hope to see itat Wicksteed later this year.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2017, 09:29:50 pm »

Thank you. I enjoyed building her.  Wicksteed is on my 2017 list.  See you there  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2017, 09:33:01 pm »

Fingers crossed.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Royal Marine, maiden voyage
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2017, 12:58:20 pm »

HMS Royal Marine, maiden voyage

Final ballasting test showed up just how high and heavy the superstructure had become.  Almost 200 grams.  A lot of fittings + brass masts.  Had to take out the bags of lead shot and substitute for some lead bar on the underside of the hull.  Sits slightly lower on the water than I’d like, but is now stable.

Sails really nicely though.  A two hour session at Black Park on a very calm but slightly misty Sunday morning.  I am well pleased with the overall result.  Sorry, no LED's or splinter mats (extra mass) will be going on this one.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2017, 03:52:45 pm »

Very nice Bob- she looks most purposeful on the water. You've done a wonderful job with the kit and I look forward to seeing her for real later this year. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2017, 06:22:00 pm »

I don't blame you Bob. It is no point adding all the details if it affects her sailing abilities especially if the sailing is an important part of your hobby.

Being able to say stop is a good skill to have.
Pond weed is your enemy

markjames68

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2017, 03:18:50 pm »

Lovely build of a. Lovely boat,
A question tho, you have mentioned a couple of times that your next project is ten times longer.....?
6.19 metres ! . 20 feet give or take! What is it?? Alsi if its 1/96 project, that means the real boat would be 1900 odd feet long..

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2017, 04:12:38 pm »

I did say that, but HMS Royal Marine is just over 600 mm long.  I am aiming to build HMS Agincourt at the same scale, which will have to be split in half for transport due to its length.  Over 6 m

On detailing, no I don't know when to stop - my favourite stage in any build.
However, it was mainly the height of the superstructure plus supplied die cast and resin fittings plus the supplied brass rod for masts that created the issue, not what I had added over and above that.
Thin deck planking, scale figures, etc will not have made much difference.

Anyway, she is sailed regularly, providing not too much wind (waves).

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2017, 05:13:36 pm »

She looks sweet in the water, nice job, well done :-))

Good news on HMS Agincourt, I think you are getting a touch of the old tunnel vision on the length there. She is 2.15m or 84.6" or just over seven foot long. Still no tiddler and certainly worth transporting in two halfs.

Six metres, crikey, I thought, Schleswig Holstein is 4.2 metres long, and they make me sit in that one O0

Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2017, 09:11:25 pm »

Sadly Bob has no choice but to lop it in two halves to fit in his car. There was an interesting bit of the specific topic with loads of suggestions on how to build a two part hull and how to do the electrical connections; or not.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.