Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sealing tape  (Read 4896 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Sealing tape
« on: May 06, 2016, 04:18:23 pm »

I am looking for sealing tape recommendations to keep water out of access hatches on yachts and similar.
I see a lot of yachtsmen with taped patches over covers and note that sometimes turning into wind has the boats healing over so far that water can come over the deck.  With superstructures having deep coamings works well, but not sure about other flat areas of deck.  Tape would need to be waterproof, not damage varnish or painted finishes, yet be able to be removed and replaced when required.

Is Gorilla clear waterproof tape any good?  It is listed online in one inch and 48 mm widths.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: Sealing tape
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 05:33:08 pm »

Hi Bob, most of the guys in our club use electricians tape to seal covers and hatches on their
Faster boats, but it is removed after sailing and renewed if you take a cover off to change
Batteries etc. IT is not a permanent fix.

John

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 08:27:33 pm »

not sure what you would call it in the UK, but over here, we have a nice semi clear tape that goes by the generic term of "hockey tape".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Hockey-tape-/121978107609?hash=item1c667636d9:g:XKUAAOSwfl9XBIGn

i buy it a local sporting-goods store for less than $2 a roll.  a roll will last several seasons

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 11:07:27 pm »

Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 02:37:18 am »

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
Im gonna need a bigger shed.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 08:44:14 am »

Aah !   Now that looks more like the stuff.  Regular electrical tape does not stick very well unless wound over itself.  Not sure about the 'Hockey tape'.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 05:27:49 pm »

having purchased both, the hockey tape and sealing tape are/were identical, with the hockey tape (in my case $3 versus $13 per roll) costing considerably less...  apparently hockey players are not as rich as us model boat owners.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 12:58:44 am »

On mine I use colour matched insulating tape. Works well & have had no issues.
Jim

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 02:32:38 am »

Aah !   Now that looks more like the stuff.  Regular electrical tape does not stick very well unless wound over itself.  Not sure about the 'Hockey tape'.

It sticks fine for a days sailing, and can easily be pulled up to re-open the hatches for battery changes, or maint. You will then need to re-seal with new tape, but seeing as it is so cheap. But you do need to try to color match it, easy with white.

Some of the fast boat guys use Diamond tape. It is a clear tape. This I think is no longer made, but you can still buy it (while stocks last).
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.