Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio equipment for subs  (Read 1914 times)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
Radio equipment for subs
« on: May 11, 2016, 06:47:41 pm »

Hi, havent been on here in yonks but im wondering how you sub guys are getting around the lack of 40mhz radio gear being produced now.
Its like submarines dont matter so you can go without

For my subs which ive yet to finish  :embarrassed: i want a NEW 40 mhz set that i know will work and should it go wrong i can get spares or replacements. This doesnt seem possible anymore and eventually the second hand market will dry up because theyll be snapped up by people that NEED them
This whole ghz takeover though beneficial for most seems to have killed off part of a hobby for us.
What happens to people with 1000s of pounds worth of engel subs for example? When their gear packs up or receivers damaged by a leak and theres nothing around. Just shove them in the wheelie bin and watch them be carted off?

I think its ridiculous
Modelling is a dying hobby and it seems its the manufactures helping to kill it off

So what do you guys reaort to? And what would you recommend to someone still trying to get started in subs?

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Radio equipment for subs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 06:49:56 pm »

Seems a bit extreme, you can still buy the robbe 40mhz gear. Also there the 433mhz option

http://www.subpirates.com/showthread.php?5173-OpenLRS-433mhz-RX-and-TX-modules-what-it-is-where-to-get-it

inertia

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 07:10:10 pm »

Modelling is a dying hobby and it seems its the manufactures helping to kill it off

Not quite, m'duck - just the obscure bits of it that they can't make money from. For every person who operates a RC sub there are probably a hundred thousand others worldwide who operate RC model aircraft, helicopters, cars, tanks, rock crawlers, trucks etc etc. Model boats has always been the Cinderella of the RC modelling world, and you guys are like the ugly sisters who end up with nowt.
Ranting about it will do you no good at all, so go either with the flow and see what the 433mHZ thing is all about or buy one of the few Robbe sets still left (and hope that someone will be able to fix it if it ever goes wrong).
If I were you I'd do both  8)
DM

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 09:09:42 pm »

this is a topic that has been discussed ad-nauseam in the model submarine community, and the answer is/was/and always has been:  either buy second hand units off of places like ebay,  buy one of the only remaining units available, which is the futaba 4y 4 channel setup, or switch to the 433/458mhz setups.

the only way you will be able to run brand new equipment with more than 4 channels is to switch to 433/458mhz.   there are plenty of people discussing the 433/458mhz options.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,50377.msg553368.html
http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t83-2-4-ghz-and-submarines-also-458-9-mhz
http://www.subpirates.com/showthread.php?5176-Tim-Senecal-s-fantastic-instructional-technology-class-SubRegatta-2014

not really, the manufacturers are trying to consolidate on a single system that makes it very easy for them to manufacture.  it doesn't matter to them that they are losing maybe 1000 people worldwide in a world of millions of possible customers.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 10:52:54 am »

A little ray of light...Thunder Tiger are producing four versions of their sub, two, I think using 40mhz gear. If enough noise is made, maybe it could be marketed as a stand alone unit...maybe. BEWARE FLYING PIGS!!

Another DM gem..."the ugly sisters who end up with nowt." Like it..must use it!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.