Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newby question on RF antenna location  (Read 2207 times)

KevinM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Newby question on RF antenna location
« on: May 12, 2016, 08:43:57 am »

Hi im very new to all this so please forgive what is probably a stupid question.

Im building a midwest fantail and am at the point I want to complete the hull planking but I have to decide upon antenna location first.

If the antenna needs to be vertical I need to buy the receiver and feed the antenna up the flagstaff on the rear before closing, I will not be able to remove the receiver then.

If the antenna can be horizontal and perhaps run under the gunnals (or even coiled under the rear deck) and give enough gain to work across the pond I can go ahead and seal it up.

Any advice welcome

PS am thinking to get the TAMCO 6 channel TX/RX

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Newby question on RF antenna location
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:33:13 am »

No need for it to be vertical just as long as it is above the waterline if your using 2.4 Ghz

Mark.

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 09:41:47 am »

Assuming a 2.4GHz radio, as long as whatever structure is between the antenna and the outside world does not blank the signal, under the deck is fine.  Wood, plastic are generally transparent to radio signals, metal isn't.
Siting any component where it is inaccessible for later work is never a good idea, especially a radio.  If it ever needed rebinding (say, if a new transmitter was got) and you couldn't reach the bind button or access the bind pins easily, that would be a disaster.
Older type radios work OK with the antenna around the deck edge, but do get better range if vertical.  On a small model the extra range is usually surplus to requirements, on a larger model a vertical one can be "lost" easily enough, but does not need to be  fixed to the receiver - it can have a plug in line.
Only the end 1" of the 2.4GHz antenna is used as a signal pick-up, and must be straight.  The black part is a co-ax cable connecting receiver and actual aerial.  The long aerial wires of older systems work best if straight and vertical, still work OK horizontal, acceptable if scrunched in an untidy manner above the water line, and "sort of" work if tidily coiled, when they effectively become an in-line choke.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 09:54:59 am »

I ran my antenna up vertically above the deck on my tugboat, worked a treat.

Then..after taking off the superstructure to make some adjustments, forgot to put it up the channel....the antenna stayed inside the hull, above waterline and horizontal.......worked just as well.....

So unless you intend to run your boat to the limits of the transmitter.....anywhere above waterline is fine.

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 10:02:56 am »

That Tamco radio looks pretty good, and a nice price as well for a 6ch set..

KevinM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 10:22:29 am »

Great replies guys thats put my mind at rest, full steam ahead then getting the hull completed and ordering the Tamco system etc

Thanks for taking the time to help an ignorant novice out

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 10:37:52 am »

Just to add a little. I was testing a Planet R6m receiver for range in Orca...see top left! I had the Rx on the hull side about 1" above waterline, out of any bilge water but still accessible. At Canoe Lake I was able to operate from cafe end to the other end of the lake, which is about 600' , with no trouble. Not bad for a short range product! Mind you, you cannot get the system any more..and I was struggling to see what the model was doing at that range :-)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.