Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheerline Trafalgar  (Read 3076 times)

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Sheerline Trafalgar
« on: May 18, 2016, 09:20:07 pm »

Hi all

I am currently making a start building a Trafalgar sub, the two halves of the hull were quite a bit out of line, I have heated the top half and pulled back to something near but as it cools it splays out slightly, this can be overcome by installing some kind of fixings inside the lower hull so my question is how do you sub guys locate the top to the bottom and keep everything flush?

Thanks

Russ

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sheerline Trafalgar
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 09:37:45 pm »

Hi.
If there s a flange where the 2 halves meet on the inside edge then add locator pins to the bottom hull flange and holes for them to locate into on the top hull.
If no flange then...

Add a lip to the inside edge of one of the hull halves depends which half you need to keep in ie if the toP splays out then add to the top inside edge if its the bottom splays out add it there...simples.
Good luck
regards Sub

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 09:51:54 pm »

Thanks Sub, yes I realise I need some kind of lip but not sure what use, I was thinking like brass plates about 10mm wide and 20mm long probably half a dozen down each side, only snag is the fibre glass is different thickness on each halve so might not finish with upper and lower flush with each other? I have tie wrapped the two halves together and will leave for a couple of days and see if it sets any better...

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 10:34:13 pm »

Hi.
Onother way is to install some half round bulkheads which are only about 10mm wide all around the half hulls and fibreglass those in where needed...this can also double as the support cradle for a module...if you see what i mean.
Regars Sub.

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 09:24:55 am »

Hi Russ,
On my Sheerline Traffalgar I installed brass location pegs in the top and bottom of the hull so the hull half`s interlocked along the length if the hull is deformed a lot then you can warm it up with a hair dryer after fitting the location pegs and gently fettle the warmed hull into position once in position you can then ti-rap or tape the hulls together and leave for a while until the hull go`s cold it may take a few go`s with the hair dryer and fettling

Mark.

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.