Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm stunned!  (Read 3222 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
I'm stunned!
« on: May 20, 2016, 06:52:09 pm »

On tuesday I contacted Davalls about a gear set, they of course replied to my email query and priced the items I required 10 mitre gears of 10mm diameter.

Unsure of the layout of the quoted list I asked for clarification as I couldn't work out whether the quote was for all ten gears or per pair of gears.

To say I was stunned when I received the reply today would be an understatement, the price was for neither. It was per gear, yes £30.38 per gear :o :o

plus £12 carriage plus packing and then the dreaded vat on the top of it all £338 plus the tax :o :o

Well I'm not made of money so they are not getting that order, especially as I'm still not sure if this is going to be the way to proceed. Instead I've ordered some Delrin ones from Ebay - sorry that should be China :D Cost me a fortune £1 with free delivery {-) and I get 20 as well. I don't think they will stand up to abuse but at least they will let me test out theories and fitment.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I'm stunned!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 07:34:19 pm »

I also saw these on the  'Bay' .  These look well worth a punt so We would be grateful for any endurance reports you might have on them.   :-))

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:00:50 pm »

£30 for a 10mm gear? Now I appreciate that some gears are complex, but even a bevel gear has to be mass produced, and even if made in the UK, that is way more than I would expect to pay.
Pond weed is your enemy

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 10:02:30 pm »

Delrin is a plastic that gets harder as you work it, so you might find these gears if they are Delrin will last well

Brian
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:02:36 pm »

Plastic, probably Delrin, gears are used on mini lathes so they are pretty tough. Quieter than metal as well.

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 04:10:48 am »

Brian ...are these bevel gear sets for the quasi positioning drives?.......

I suspect the gears if Delrin will be injection moulded [no machining involved]....toleranced perfectly, superb tooth surface finish :-))...will run for extended periods as long as alignment and a little additional lubricity are maintained

All of the gear sets in domestic appliances....can openers, sharpeners, 12V power tools, computer printers & scanners etc  are usually from this family of plastics

The only issue I have ever experienced is securing them to the shaft.... <*<

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 12:15:56 pm »

Spot on Derek.

My one concern over using the Delrin gears are that this material is renowned for being very 'slippy' I've even seen it advertised as self lubricating! I've done research on the stuff and it seems the industry has no way of fixing the stuff with a bonding agent or adhesive due to its properties. It is normally mechanically attached either by grub screw or cotter pin, or in the toy industry they are mostly a press fit on a shaft.  I'll just have to see how it goes when they arrive.

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 12:26:42 pm »

As they run together the touching surfaces will get harder, making them less prone to wear
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 01:49:43 pm »

Just a quick update for anyone wanting gear sets.

I've located a website in the USA that has them at $5.99 each. SO even with postage and import duty, I'm still going to have a full set of 10 for about the same price as 1 gear from Davall %% I'll order a set but I'll still see how the Delrin ones stand up to abuse when they arrive.

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 03:42:01 am »

I have used plastic ? gears for a long time and never had one fail. One use is for replacing stripped gears in servos. Not had a replacement  fail. YET famous last words. Gear Best sell assorted bags dirt cheap free postage. There are at least 2 different bags available Also sell lots of R/C stuf
f
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.