Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My next build...  (Read 2973 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
My next build...
« on: May 21, 2016, 03:58:51 pm »

Ok so you have all seen the many posts I've made over the last few months with regards, gears, motors, electronics to name a few. Well Ive been collecting info and parts to start my next build. I was taken by her lines when I saw a video of her workup trials last year, yep she is only 10 months in service and 12 months out of the yard. Up to seeing her I was going to build an X Bow ship, but that is now shelved (probably permanently)

So without further pre amble, the name of the Ship is the STRIL BARENTS.

I intend to have as much of the equipment working as possible, radar, fi-fi, 4 tunnel thrusters, 1 retractable azimuth thruster, 2 main drives in Kort nozzles.
Working towing winch, the daughter boat launcher at the stern, one of the two fast rescue craft operating, and a workable ROV which is launched from the starboard stern inside a hanger.

Hopefully among the electronics I will have a working dynamic positioning system to hold the ship while it launches boats or rov - still lots of brainstorming to do there!

All that is left is to link in a video of the real craft. I've collected several of the builders videos and edited them together to show the deck equipment I hope to have working, the only thing missing is the ROV which I have seen on the net, but couldn't find whne I needed it.

https://youtu.be/FHFx3g47y94

Best put a still photo as well....

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My next build...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 06:47:34 pm »

I am sorry but only a mother could love that!
But good luck with the build.
regards Roy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 08:00:30 pm »

It's like something from Thunderbirds with all those boat launching systems. I like the rear ramp of driven wheels. I can see that being a challenge to build, but a coup once finished.

Lots of cogs and small rubber wheels. I would start to see what cheap toy cars/trucks there are in the shops and buy stock of the correct car!
Pond weed is your enemy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 09:10:18 pm »

WOW !

What a fascinating project this will be. Hope you can achieve all the systems - if it turns out anywhere near the real thing, it will be such a fantastic model. (the video gives us a good insight as to your systems goals).

Wishing you all the very best on this one Brian - good luck.

Regards,

Ray.

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 09:38:39 pm »

I think this looks fantastic.  I like the idea of mother and daughter boats. What sort of scale are you planning to work in?  A compromise necessary between a large mother ship and not too small babies!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 10:18:31 pm »

What an incredibly unusual ship Bob.  Not quite sure if it's a tug, ocean survey vessel, or what.
I shall be watching this with great interest.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 08:47:39 am »

Thanks guys.

I'm currently half way through building the plug to make a grp hull, the scale is 1:72 giving an overall length of 1.3 metres.

The real ship is designated a PSV- Platform Supply Vessel. But has the ability to tow, as can be seen from the video of the work deck, although the towing winch has by todays standards a measly 100 ton bollard pull, so could be used for manouvering rigs in conjunction with other more powerful ships. As mentioned, as well as two fast rescue craft, she has the daughter boat at the stern and a ROV in the starboard stern, behind a lift over hatch, similar to that seen when the rib launches in the video.

This style ship along with the X Bow's from Ulstein seem to be the way forward for shipping serving the energy industry nowadays. This one has been specifically designed as the name implies to work in the Barents Sea, so is also certified for working in ice fields as well.

I'm excited about the build, I think more so than any ship I've done before, I think this is due to the amount of ancillary stuff that will work on it and the problem solving of actually getting all those systems to operate. One thing for sure, its not going to be a quick build and I'm sure in coming months I'll be throwing tools about and wishing I'd never begun :}

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 08:59:14 pm »

I look forward to your updates and will help as much as I can with ideas O0
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.