Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large cruise ships and supersized pollution problems.  (Read 7359 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Large cruise ships and supersized pollution problems.
« on: May 22, 2016, 09:56:32 am »

Wow, I never realised they were this much of a problem.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/21/the-worlds-largest-cruise-ship-and-its-supersized-pollution-problem
“Cruise companies create a picture of being a bright, clean and environmentally friendly tourism sector. But the opposite is true. One cruise ship emits as many air pollutants as five million cars going the same distance because these ships use heavy fuel that on land would have to be disposed of as hazardous waste.”
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Large cruise ships and supersized pollution problems.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 10:24:32 am »

Yes, a lot of money has recently been spent on European ferries to fit them with 'scrubbers' which wash out the emissions in the exhausts. If not fitted then they now have to burn expensive diesel oil instead which is less polluting.

Some ports, notably in the US, now have electrical hookup points at cruise ship berths so that the vessels can use shore power in port instead of running their own engines.

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 12:49:31 pm »

Stena have shore to ship power on there North sea ferries for when in dock . They also have hook up points so the Refa trucks can turn off the refa engines and run on the ships power.
These new Cruise ships really should be LNG .

john

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 01:27:03 pm »

I'm not sure I'd want to cruise on top of a couple of thousands tonnes of LNG  :embarrassed:

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 10:57:14 pm »

So Plague......can we assume you will not be a volunteer crew member of Brian's new build?  {-) ...... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 11:31:32 pm »

Thanks for that info TT, now I'm feeling guilty {:-{  We sail on the "Dawn Princess" on Friday June 3 for a 17 night cruise around Australia from Sydney to Fremantle (Perth) via Brisbane, Cairns, Alotau (New Guinea), Darwin, Broome and Geraldton. However, at just over 77000 tons she is a midget compared to "Harmony of the Seas", so hopefully she won't emit too much pollution. We come back to Sydney on the Indian Pacific train, a 4352 km trip across Australia - 4 days 3 nights - so I hope it doesn't create much pollution either.

Peter.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 12:33:06 am »

So Plague......can we assume you will not be a volunteer crew member of Brian's new build?  {-) ...... Derek

Let me think ... Hmmm ... Yes :-)

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 12:37:16 am »

I wonder if putting 5,000 people on return flights to, say, Italy and putting them up in luxury hotels for a week would actually be any better environmentally than a big cruise ship?

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 01:03:11 am »

They are claiming that modern ships are more 'ECO' friendly , burn fuel more efficiently & don't discharge waste over the side anymore (use Digesters)
Bill

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 01:12:36 am »

I cannot think of anything I would less like to do than sail with 5000 other passengers on a cruise ship.   {:-{

Give me a desert island beach with a handy bar any day. %)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 09:17:10 am »

I wouldn't worry too much Peter, just by breathing we are all contributing to C02 levels in the atmosphere.

Yes, ships are responsible for a considerable amount of pollution but just think how bad it must have been years ago when they all burned coal. And if you weren't aboard the ship then the chances are you would be driving your car or throwing some poor wriggling thing on the barbie...

Colin

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 10:03:34 am »

I wouldn't worry too much Peter, just by breathing we are all contributing to C02 levels in the atmosphere.

Colin

<*< WOAH ! ! You're giving the 'Obedient Servants' tax ideas we'll all be gross polluters , unless you walk around with an absorption mask or stop breathing TAX EM  %% 
Bill

D108

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
    • My models
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 06:06:56 pm »

On the pollution front, albeit on a far smaller scale.  The wife and I took a Nile cruise several years ago when moored up alongside there were often other boats ahead and astern and two or three deep. All with diesel generators. You could barely breathe on the upper deck for diesel fumes. I breathed less smoke at horsea island !
Paul

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 12:10:27 am »

I cannot think of anything I would less like to do than sail with 5000 other passengers on a cruise ship.   {:-{

Nor me Brian. The "Dawn Princess" carries just under 2000, so we shouldn't feel too crowded.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 02:59:14 am »

Without getting too far of track here...yes the gaseous pollutants emitted by machinery as used on cruise ships and motor vehicles is quantifiable and certain environmental or political groups make great use of this data in their advertising causes

However, one spit from a semi dormant volcano situated in the ring of fire produces potentially a million fold volume of equally noxious gasses, however the actual output is incalculable & at best left as estimates

These however these accepted as beyond the grasp of human technology to harness or stop

Scientists do however understand the volume of methane produced by the worlds milk cow herds.......& yes China is the worlds largest consumer and importer of powdered milk formula...should we ban or restrict the use of cows in the food chain?

Did all of those years of those beautiful coal burning steam engines do irreparable damage to our human existence?...were the infamous smogs of London created by this use of coal, or were cows a partial contributor?

The burning of the Amazon rain forests or similar illegal forests burning in Indonesia <*<.....no Government appears able or willing to stop these activities......and yet these Countries delegations vote at World Trade & Economic conferences to limit Green House gases 

I have a similar view to our member Plague....I would choose not to venture too far >>:-( on an LNG fuelled [potential time bomb] vessel

Enough said...... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 04:33:17 am »

Having lived through the London and Manchester smogs they were certainly caused by coal.   I have never seen a cow that produced 20 cent sized pieces of soot!  (correct spelling) Our car and the pavement was completely covered in it overnight.
I can remember not being able to see my hand a few inches (in those days) in front of my face.
We had several days off school during the worst periods.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 11:16:05 pm »

I doubt that anyone could argue with the pollution caused by coal fires in the past, but with the technology now available, scrubbers can remove most of the pollutants from power station smoke. One power station in Queensland traps the carbon from its emissions and compresses it into bricks which can be used for construction.

Peter.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 10:00:26 pm »

Not so long ago it was acid rain from aircraft exhaust and atmospheric moisture mixing, killing off the Scandinavian forests. But seriously consider the amount of aviation fuel burnt each year and the chemicals added to protect the fuel tanks etc , how does that compute to a handful of vessels. But the real problem with these vessels is safety, how can you rescue a possible 8000 people mid Atlantic in a winter storm or Pacific and how would the multi lingo and national crew get upto 4000 people safely off the vessels in the early hours!!!!!!!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 03:00:31 am »

Not so long ago it was acid rain from aircraft exhaust and atmospheric moisture mixing, killing off the Scandinavian forests. But seriously consider the amount of aviation fuel burnt each year and the chemicals added to protect the fuel tanks etc ,

I am pretty sure that this is a gross overstatement that sits with the chemtrail alarmists.
Why do I say this?. My first degree was an environmental degree, and we looked the case study of the Scandinavian forests.

The main culprit was coal and oil fired powerstation emissions (mostly from Britain, how we got the label The Dirty Man of Europe), a secondary contributor was transportation (of which aviation is a tiny part). These emissions then floated on the winds, combined with water, underwent chemical change, and formed acid rain.

Yes, aviation contributes, but to blame the Scandinavion acid rain on aviation is erroneous on the part of some alarmists/conspiracy theorists. A bit like me blaming my neighbor's fridge for my insomnia, although it is a contributing factor to the urban noise pollution.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 06:49:04 pm »

Hi Tiger Tiger, what I suppose I was getting at, these cruise vessels burn FFO, which I admit contain a lot of various heavy metals etc, but aviation fuel is a lighter grade of oil but has added various chemicals and also burns lubricating oil in the engines also with some nasty chemicals added. The amount of aviation fuel etc  burnt, far exceeds the small amount cruise vessels burn in a year compared to international air flights.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.