Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 !  (Read 58974 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10 update - Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2016, 12:00:20 pm »

Even with v8.1 they have made it increasingly difficult to save files where you want to file them, MS having long ago decided we are all too stupid to be able to save files within our own choice of folders.  They want all your personal stuff on their 'Cloud' to which MS have full access, and once you have more then a few megabites they will charge you increasing sums to 'upgrade' your storage capacity.  That is where MS see future profits developing from.   No doubt v10 makes it almost impossible to do any independent local filing.

Even my Wife's v7, if you just "save" it reports "file saved" with no hint of where MS have dumped it.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2016, 12:18:50 pm »

They call all storage, the  Library since Windows 7, in the hope you don't notice wheather it's local or 'cloud'.
I don't do "cloud" storage, not even to a NAS box, always use old school backup drives.

( NB. You can easily deactivate the Libraries and go back to folders - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21462/how-to-enable-or-disable-the-libraries-feature-in-windows-7/ )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2016, 12:56:55 pm »

I've never had any problems in specifying where I want to save my stuff in any versions of Windows, including W10.

I think that if you are going to use a PC then you do need to put a bit of effort into understanding how it works and organises itself. The alternative is of course to accept the inbuilt defaults which a lot of people do but they then give up their control of the beast!

Colin

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2016, 01:00:54 pm »

I always save files to my data hard drive, so have to specify where it needs to go.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2016, 01:02:23 pm »

Same as that, Martin...I save my research material, photos, etc into a new folder in Downloads, and then keep a back up copy in a remote usb drive. That way if my computers crash, have hissy fits, or generally refuse to comply with my wishes, I have all my material on a separate drive. (been there, done that, lost a shedload of hard earned research material)

As for The Cloud...I don't understand it, and therefore I don't use it. If I can't touch it, feel it, or see it...it ain't there.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2016, 01:09:01 pm »

I think that if you are going to use a PC then you do need to put a bit of effort into understanding how it works and organises itself. Colin

In Win 8.1 even "save as" only gives you options in their version of Cloud Library, it usually takes a lot of fiddling stepping back up to Drive "C" before you can start searching down for your own "Home" directory structure.  It is a pain, and designed to be, plus seems to get more awkward with every new release.  Going way back I could set a Home Directory which a Save As always started from. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2016, 06:51:54 pm »

Couple of good Apps out there to stop Windows 10 installing:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

The W10 nag reappeared in one of our PCs yesterday. I ran never10 on it and today the nag has disappeared, so it looks like it takes care of that too which saves a lot of fardling around  :-)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2016, 07:00:10 pm »

Been Running W10 since it came out, Other than the emicons issue I have had no others , really can no see what all the problems about.

Stavros

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2016, 07:05:08 pm »

Well said Larry.......I am a complete computer numpty and havnt had a single problem with it except the emicons on this site....If I want them to work Ill use firefox...but to be perfectly onest with you who cares they don't work as far to many are used everywhere

Dave

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2016, 09:20:00 pm »

A very few people will need to stick with earlier versions because they have rare/custom software that they need for whatever reason that will simply neither load nor run on W10.  Some will have computers that are simply not compatible (like basic netbooks).
W10+chrome test  ;D  .  From a rather basic Toshiba from Argos.

If your data has not got at least two backup copies where you can physically get your hands on it, you didn't really care about it.  Risking being contentious, anybody putting their faith in the cloud for continuous access, reliability and security deserves everything that will happen to them.
When updating to W10 I took care to avoid every one of the "wonderful extras".  Some unavoidable extras yielded to the advice on howtogeeks.  I do keep system clones of my C drive just in case.  Having the sense to have such clones of my previous systems in case I needed to revert has proved useful.  Reloading a system that way is a great deal faster than letting it happen the "official" way.
But perhaps the last word should go to the man himself - http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/windows-was-just-a-nasty-trick-all-along-says-gates-20160526109129 - not to be read before the watershed time.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2016, 09:32:31 am »

I use a CAD system called Catia V5 for work and I recently bought a tablet / laptop called a Microsoft surface pro 4. Off course this came with Windows 10 and when I contacted the Catia re-sellers we use, I was told no, Windows 10 won't run it, not supported, don't even try etc....

Well, I'm not one to give up so I had a go and yes, it wasn't easy to get it to work, had to change various folder permissions after installation, run it under compatibility mode, run as administrator etc. but it does now work perfectly!
I'm pretty convinced any software designed for earlier versions of Windows can be made to run if you have the time and know what you are doing.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2016, 09:38:02 am »

NB I believe MS Surface use Surface OS or Surface Pro OS not Win10, looks the same. And so it will run differently
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2016, 10:25:29 am »

Been Running W10 since it came out, Other than the emicons issue I have had no others , really can no see what all the problems about.

Your missing the point . . . . WINDOWS 10 IS/WAS BEING PLACED ON MY MACHINE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION . . . which I'm sure has happened to more folk than me . . . I stayed on it to try it & was going to roll back over the weekend . . . I NEVER GOT A CHANCE . . .all the passwords were screwed up, try as I might re entry wasn't possible . . . . I'm getting MAD again . . . . . <*< 
Bill

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2016, 10:47:50 am »

When I upgraded my PC which didn't have a local password the machine defaulted to my Microsoft account password - the online one you set up when you first register a new PC.

My laptop did have a local password and when I did the upgrade earlier this week it did keep the password.

There is a lot about upgrades and passwords if you Google it (not much use if you only have the one machine though!) and it seems that a lot of the problems are to do with the way in which the original copy of Windows was licenced.

I agree, it is all a bit of a shambles really.

Colin

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2016, 12:17:48 pm »

This is why the uptake of Apple machines is on the increase.
For the majority of people who want a machine that "just works" then the Apple OS is ideal.  Granted there are issues when it comes to cost and software availability, but for the last few years their market share is increasing.

Linux and the related OSes are also seeing in increase in take up as well

Before anyone starts the "X os is the best" I'm not saying that everyone should move over, only that there are alternatives for those disillusioned with MS
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2016, 12:51:28 pm »

I'm not saying that everyone should move over, only that there are alternatives for those disillusioned with MS

And that number of annoyed or disillusioned people is growing.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2016, 01:16:57 pm »

I think this will be remembered as Microsofts "U2" moment ( you know when they put their new album on EVERY single iTunes device on the planet whether you wanted it or not... made a hell of a lot of people HATE U2 and Apple ) or their "Rattners" moment where things started to go downhill very quickly due to public mistrust.

They have played this very very badly and I for one will be going across to Linux Ubuntu on at least one of my old PC's next week to get used to how it works and if its fine I'll be doing that to my main PC as well.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2016, 01:45:34 pm »

This is why the uptake of Apple machines is on the increase.
For the majority of people who want a machine that "just works" then the Apple OS is ideal.  Granted there are issues when it comes to cost and software availability, but for the last few years their market share is increasing.

Linux and the related OSes are also seeing in increase in take up as well

Before anyone starts the "X os is the best" I'm not saying that everyone should move over, only that there are alternatives for those disillusioned with MS

If Apple machines 'just work', why do they need so many tech/repair experts in their shops?
My experience of Apple is it 'only just works' and they break down a lot more often that their hefty price tag should allow. Then you're screwed - practically no help unless you want to open your wallet and assume the position.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2016, 02:21:42 pm »

From what I can gather, it is not a software issue, Apple machines are more fragile. Then again, in most cases they are a lot lighter and slimmer than your average laptop, or notebook.

In fairness, smart phones and tablets also break, a lot.

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2016, 02:31:20 pm »

It 's alright for all you clever fellahs but I'm an old duffer and can'' t do clever things on computers

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2016, 02:39:52 pm »

Hi I use a Macbookpro and would not willingly go back to MS.  It has cost a bit to repair (I have a good repair guy in Hatfield) but now I have a fan cooler underneath it, I have no problems.  The graphics card gets very hot, or it used to. 

It is simple and works for me.  I look at a MS laptop and do not know where to start now, apart from how it turns off.
regards Roy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2016, 04:36:02 pm »

Heat might be less of a problem in future. More and more puters are going over to solid state memory SSD. This generates a lot less heat.

One of the problems with all super skinny computers is heat.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2016, 10:56:58 pm »

My son is an IT pro and with two minutes' googling and two minutes on the computer, we stopped Windows automatic updates and set it to show all available updates instead. We then deleted the Win 10 update from the list and also removed KB3035583 from already installed Windows updates. Problem solved - permanently. After the 'free' Windows 10 period is over (just watch them extend it, though!) we can set things back to automatic updates. In less than fifteen minutes we'd done all the PCs', two laptops and one of the servers, the other's using Linux.

As for Macs, each to their own and I won't re-ignite the 'which is better' feud debate.  :-)

However, I had a half share in a Macbook Pro with my son. No way would we have paid the full whack of £1400+ for it, we got it from a 'fire sale' for a third of that. It looks great, it feels great, but it's broken down twice, including an overheating HDD. Mac OS updates have screwed things up every time they've come out - some of my outboard gear stopped working, awaiting drivers that never appeared - and my son's reinstalled the OS on several occasions. I sold my share and went back to a Windows laptop - a refurbished top end HP Elitebook, It's built like a tank, runs faster than the Macbook and has a bigger screen of similar resolution and quality. The Windows 7 installation was legitimate (that's good for an ebay purchase), it had a 3 month warranty and it came complete with a full-spec docking station. As the station had a DVD drive, I didn't need the one that was in the laptop. So I swapped it out for an SSD and my total outlay was less than £350. I'm sticking with Win 7 and my Mac days are over. Lovely bits of kit, but just not right for me.

Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2016, 11:11:27 pm »

Reply 59

"But perhaps the last word should go to the man himself - http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/windows-was-just-a-nasty-trick-all-along-says-gates-20160526109129 - not to be read before the watershed time."

Thank you Malcolm, %%  %%  {-)  {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2016, 09:09:09 am »

@73
That's our British sense of humour for you! Some of the other Daily Mash stories are even better - and perhaps almost believable.....
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.