Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 !  (Read 58976 times)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Re: Windows 10 update - Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2016, 09:14:44 am »

Turned my laptop on this morning to find Windows 10 starting to load itself, despite me removing it yesterday ( I did try it, but my laptop didn't like it at all, so I removed it)

I have a real antique laptop which has Linux installed on it...I like Linux, nice and simple to use, and it works...but is it possible to download it and install it onto this laptop (an HP running W8.1) without doing any damage?
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2016, 01:28:29 pm »

You need to remove KB3035583 - this is the installer for win 10, I am trying to find the thread of a web site that allows a program to run in one instance that removes all the bits that removes win 10 installing etc - highly recommended, but you have to try and remember the kb reference number because it will be a important update to trick people into installing the pesky blighter.

If you go to your windows update icon in the start area - then select windows update - look for whats been installed and then scroll down if its been grouped or just look for kb3035583 at the end of the Microsoft update, then uninstall it, I ran the program and it removed any gwx references and then a couple of days ago it installed kb 3035583 as an important update, because I had forgot to switch auto download off - duh.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2016, 01:55:21 pm »

I've removed KB3035583 from our computers several times, and hidden the update when it immediately adds itself to the list, but this is not a permanent cure, even though it should be. After a few months it reappears in the notification area - presumably MS have some means to force it in.
However, per post #56 earlier the "never10" utility appears to remove it automatically, for how long remains to be seen, so I'd recommend using that over the much more laborious manual method.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2016, 08:29:42 pm »

I agree - it is just that knowing what to look for is as good as well, especially if the pc wont let the program run as intended, after a BBQ I can now look for the link.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2016, 08:50:30 pm »

KB2952664 is another to remove - another that nags you to download GWX.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10 update - Saving for later
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2016, 04:57:38 am »

Gunna build those other boats one day.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2016, 07:06:53 am »

Just nine more days until I (hopefully) will no longer be constantly pestered by Microsoft attempts to rebuild my computer.  Why would I want to?  It works fine, but may not do so if I click "Oh, go on then, make my day".
Microsoft say 10 is "better" without any real specifics on how.  They say it may be "faster", but I have no problems with how 8.1 runs.  Lots of conflicting reports on several rival MS browser options, but insufficiently developed to still retain IE10 as one of the main options.  I see absolutely no valid reason to risk messing up my desktop for a bunch of vague hypes that appear to offer nothing for what I use my computer for.   >>:-(
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2016, 07:50:05 am »

I run win 7, had to completely reinstall lately, so its improved its speed and operational abilities, though MS's browser is starting to annoy me with its jerkiness, I think MS are just trying to make people switch, to control the revenues they hope to generate from pay on demand services. so I wont ever be updating to the latest offering, i'll switch to another OS before then.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2016, 08:11:49 am »

Always amazed at the people that won't try new things.
I've installed it on all my computers, had no problems, no charges for anything, They do run faster and all software I use still works fine.
I really like it.

Craig.

Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2016, 11:35:56 am »

Personally; 
Windows 10 is 100% better than 8 or 8.1
Windows 10 will be very unfamiliar for Windows XP or 7 users  but it is faster.
Windows 10 does a LOT of stuff in the background that you have no or very little control of, updates, 'bloatware', push ads, etc.

I will be cloning my OS drive and updating to 10, just to get the free licence but sticking with Windows 7 for now.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2016, 01:53:43 pm »

Question:  Microsoft says it's "better", and more importantly now so does our Martin.

So, what exactly is "better", or even different from 8.1.  What can it do that I cannot do now.

With 8.1 the worst aspects were [1] making it look and feel like a mobile phone (hated that but managed to get the proper desktop back), and [2] a grim determination by MS to force you to only save in their "cloud" (for which they can charge a lot extra if you do put all you data on it).  It is much more longwinded to save on disk, where I have 3 separate levels of local backup.  ie: Go to Drive C then work my way down folder by folder to my desired home directory.

I have a sneaky suspicion that after the 29th MS may do something to destabilise customer PC's who refuse to change over.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2016, 03:21:34 pm »

Hi Bob,

Windows 8 / 8.1 was always designed around a "touch interface" screen, Microsoft call that one too early!
Windows 10 install checks if you have a touch screen, if not it automatically disables all that stuff.
Also of the 'back office' stuff, control panel, drivers, apps, updates are much more logical in 10 than 8.1.

So:
[1] It's much better now, more 'like' Windows 7
[2] Cloud, OneDrive, OutLook, etc. can all be completely disabled in 10
[3] You can bring up Windows Explorer 'File Explorer' to work same way as normal - like I do! - You can even turn off Libraries!

No, I don't know what going to happen after July 29 either but personally, I do think windows 10 is worth a punt!
Not trying to sell it to you Bob but I've found the Win 10 interface to be everything that 8.1 wasn't!
Anyway, you will have 30 days to roll back to 8.1 afterwards if you hate it.... but do give it a chance for a week.   :-)

Do a data  backup 1st!

M
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2016, 03:50:44 pm »

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2016, 04:36:55 pm »

My impression of 10 is that, whereas in the past,
the 'extras' had to be ticked to activate, now it seems
everything is thete and needs ticks to deactivate the
extras.
Otherwise, I am happy up to a point.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2016, 05:11:07 pm »

Mix in with the data back up the sensible idea of cloning the win 7 or 8 operating system disk, where all of your programs live as well (don't they?)  as well as the separate disk with important data files. 
I like that the vast majority of what I have learnt over the years regarding working with Windows still applies to W10, as opposed to the stupidity of W8 and its toytown screen, so virtually no learning curve.  I visited a site called http://www.howtogeek.com/227827/windows-10-is-great-except-for-the-parts-that-are-terrible/ which, after exploring the site a little, let me get rid of most of the annoyances.  You do have to go several steps further than just ticking a box to eliminate the dumbware, but I found it worth the minor effort.
I still find it a good idea to keep a check on the state of the updates if only to ensure that I can turn off my netbook when I want it to turn off instead of it telling me hat an update is in progress.
I had one program that didn't want to work under W10, but it was not that vital since I found a free alternative.  Obviously, if it was a mission critical program, it would have been a deal breaker, but it wasn't.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2016, 09:40:37 pm »

On a web browser this morning  - after I had posted here, the revenues for win 10 were better than expected was the title of the subject.
Me - I know win 10 is a cash cow, you cannot buy a standalone copy of office anymore it's pay per month (as my son found out), £8 is a bit much for me, businesses would find this a problem if they became cash strapped at any time and then go under. Can you guarantee that the cloud is absolutely secure - I don't think so, if you ran a company where you were a technologically advanced and the US government wanted it - who is to say they don't get through to there friends at MS in the interest of national security, and gone is your interlectual property, just a thought, as for win 10, its going to be the default option in a few years when they disable all the abilities of the old OS's as they take over, you wont be able to use the internet as the browser that is available will be not compatible, especially when they buy out the competition and shut them down or make them more problematic.

The machines are taking over - oh oh a T 1000 has just appeared in the back ya...

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2016, 10:49:05 pm »

When I first tried W10 about a year ago I found that by the time I'd killed off the flagship MS applications that I had no interest in (Edge, OneDrive, Cortana) I was pretty much left with W7, but with a less pleasant/familiar interface. So what was the point? (I rolled back.)

More recently I wondered about the speed thing, so I cleaned up a W7 laptop we have, but don't use much, by removing all the games and similar software, used CCleaner, made sure it was defragged and then ran a test boot from cold to time until it was (really) ready to use - ie. when all the services and stuff have started and not that half life situation where you can 'use' it, but it's a dog. Result: 2 mins 40 secs.
Then I let W10 install, ran through all the reboots, updates, etc till it was a steady install. Reran the cold boot test: 2 mins 30 secs.
Faster - yes. Worth the bother - no.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2016, 11:09:46 pm »

Windows 10 is fine...

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2016, 11:14:59 pm »

Me - I know win 10 is a cash cow, you cannot buy a standalone copy of office anymore it's pay per month (as my son found out), £8 is a bit much for me

If you have a 'hard copy' of your old Win.7, you can take MS Office 2007 from there & shoehorn it in, it works perfect in Win.10, I have all my databases & Excel spreadsheets working.  :-))
Im gonna need a bigger shed.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2016, 11:21:39 pm »

Likewise running office 2010, no probs.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2016, 11:38:47 pm »

I finally gave in and updated to W10 from 8.1. The install went well, and I quite like the look of the new OS. However, since upgrading my computer will unexpectedly hang, and the only way to bring it back is by turning it off with the power button, and restarting. I Googled the symptoms and it seems that this is not uncommon. It was recommended that I run MyTurboPC which I did. It removed a lot of rubbish that I wasn't using, but the hanging problem still exists. Has anyone else experienced this?

Peter.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2016, 11:39:45 pm »

How old is the hardware?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2016, 12:25:14 am »

Folks...........I do not intend to enter the debate about Win10, suffice to say both of my machines run Win7 for their foreseeable life :-))

The issue I have is Cloud repositories 8) ....a few years back my ADOBE .pdf to .doc converter yearly software subscription was located on my C drive

This year when providing $25.00 subscription I end up with a Licence that allows me to send .pdf documents to the Cloud & they near instantly return as mirror image documents however in editable .docx text

Now I am sure the Cloud repositories is not really interested in a 5 year Contract Licence between a Not for Profit model Train Society and it's Local Council, however to comply with Council....that is what I had to do....convert it from a .pdf document, to a .docx editable document, add our text of agreement, stamp the document with our Official Co-corporation Seal, sign it....rescan it and convert it back to a .pdf and e-mail it away

Thank goodness we were not talking about the password or access combination to a Bank Account  >>:-(

Derek

MB...the image below is me converting the Council document prior  to adding the text & signatures & stamp......

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2016, 11:05:05 am »

How old is the hardware?

It doesn't matter Martin , the fact that it's been 'IMPOSED' on everybody is surely the issue ?
It cost me £200 to recover my computer from the mess Win 10 left , lost two years data (you cant 'uninstal' the backup win 7 files 45 GIG of them >>:-(  without the microsoft installer & they make sure you can't get that so it's a drive format .
I was willing to give Win 10 a trial & wind back if I wasn't happy , never got that far. . .  all my passwords were scrambled, I couldn't access the comp'. . . PERIOD (the next day) even with a bootable CD.
 I was tight on drive space & couldn't leave it there . . .
Bill  %%  I'm GETTING MAD AGAIN . . . .

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2016, 11:19:26 am »

That is why you never start a new O.S. install until you have taken a image of the drive's existing installation.  Windows 7 has the necessary software pre-installed.

Then when it goes wrong, you simply restore from the image and everything is exactly as it was before.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 22 queries.