Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 !  (Read 58975 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10 update - Go for it it!
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2016, 11:05:34 pm »

Way back......my faithful XP  :kiss: machine died  <:(

Mr Smarty Pants sales manager @ Harvey Norman said no worries this new VISTA is beaut  :-)) for my price budget
Parted with $1499.00...went home & set it up :o
Returned to Harvey Norman 2 days later & told Mr Smarty Pants ....I had a few issues >>:-(

Hewlett Packard  4L = no drivers
QuickBooks Accounting = not compatible....[but I needed to complete the Taxation Office quarterly BAS Report in 3 days]
Telstra Bigpond = no technical support for 4 weeks
Various Technical Packages = not compatible

Mr Smarty Pants didn't believe me until he telephoned Hewlett Packard Australia, Quicken Accounting Sydney & finally Telstra

Walked away with a new XP machine with a price tag of $2149.00 [last of the expensive range] at no extra cost O0

This [buffoonery] by Mr Gates has left an indelible mark on my brain & never to be repeated

Derek

BTW Arty........I thing the Pommie Cortinas were 4 potters only.....probably surplus engines left over from Prefects and Anglias  {-)

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2016, 11:16:33 pm »

Quite right Derek, the 6 cylinder Cortinas were only built in Australia.

I'm still having problems with W10 causing my computer to freeze unexpectedly. I told my wife that, based on my experience, there was no way she should upgrade her laptop from W7.

Peter.

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #152 on: August 02, 2016, 07:31:11 am »

Interesting that third parties begin to remove support...

This is a reminder that on August 29, 2016 Dropbox will be ending support for Windows XP, making Windows Vista the minimum supported Windows version

To balance the story if only a little I have been running Windows 10 on a laptop and PC for 7 months and not one glitch - they are both used many hours a day to pay the mortgage (for work) with a range of software from MS Office, web design, graphics software, database management, programming languages etc etc - so there are some good news stories out there...

Regards
Jonathan

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2016, 08:26:55 pm »

The Anniversary update became available today through Windows update, so I ran check for updates and downloaded it.

All 5 machines here updated without a hitch

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2016, 09:01:57 pm »

With those WIN10 figures, no wonder Microsoft is worried.
Looks like Win 10 Bombed out.

What next???

28 % is not that bad really with all the other MS combining to 26.6, seems to be a lot of resistance from the W7 at 14.2 %

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2016, 10:08:01 pm »

Windows 7 probably does everything that most people want and does it with no fuss most of the time.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10 - Yes or No?
« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2016, 06:26:53 am »

28 % is not that bad really with all the other MS combining to 26.6, seems to be a lot of resistance from the W7 at 14.2 %  :o :o :o ??????????????????????????????????????

This I think reflects the true statistics for WIN10, over 47% is still WIN7 O0 O0 O0

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

In descending order

WIN7

WIN10

XP

However, at the end of the day you can make statistics say anything.

Gunna build those other boats one day.

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2016, 07:45:08 am »

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

I wonder how truly representative these figures are - have a look at how they collect their statistical info.

Any body visited one of these on-demand networks? - I haven't so they aren't counting my suite of PC's in varying guises....

Jonathan

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2016, 12:15:38 pm »

Just installed the 'end of 1st year' W10 update.  Took about 1/2 hour.  No major problems.
Again, no real differences from 8.1, or any faster.  Perhaps I may get fewer Norton's Security warnings on both MS Browsers.  Kodak printer 'driver loaded' with W10 update, but still not working.  Called Kodak tech support who kindly took it apart and reinstalled all the printer s/w.  At last, I can print and scan again.

So, just about where I was before the W10 hit me, and the desktop is working.  I will probably dump Cortana as that seems aimed for camera / mic tablets and mobiles.  I may also dump Edge as it is not as versatile as IE11.

Well, it performs the function, although XP was far more user friendly and versatile. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2016, 12:17:10 pm »

So far no probs with 10 this time except it turns comp off if left too long instead of hibernating and I have to reboot

You can alter that if you go to 'settings>system>power & sleep', I have mine set to 'never' for screen & sleep, it's not done a switch off on me with those settings.  :-)
Im gonna need a bigger shed.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2016, 12:51:31 pm »

You can ditch Norton now and speed up the machine even more.
Windows 10 has it's own built in anti virus, anti malware, spyware etc. tool called Windows Defender. It's all I have ever used and never had any problems. It will jump into action once other anti virus software is removed.
Best of all it's completely free.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2016, 03:03:13 pm »

Sorry, but MS have never been that good at catching the vulnerabilities that they themselves have built in, plus any antivirus will have similar run-time overheads in performance.  I would not recommend Windows Defender as a sole safety net, although better than nothing.

The best independently rated antivirus systems are Symantec (Norton), Bitdefender, and Kaspersky.
Remember nothing is completely 100% so careful online practice is essential.

Also note that these are all antivirus.  You will also need a good anti-malware program too.  eg: Malwarebytes.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2016, 04:26:25 pm »

Anyone know how to delay / extend the 'sign in' screen time?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2016, 11:35:03 am »

And has anyone worked out how to get rid of the Taskbar from the bottom of the screen? I know all about "Auto-hide", but that only works if you Restart, and then until some app (is that what we are supposed to call software now?) annoys it and it pops up again.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2016, 11:57:38 am »

And has anyone worked out how to get rid of the Taskbar from the bottom of the screen? I know all about "Auto-hide", but that only works if you Restart, and then until some app (is that what we are supposed to call software now?) annoys it and it pops up again.
Recall seeing something, didn't take a  lot of notice because am not using WIN10, that apps and software are not one and the same????
The more knowledgeable can no doubt explain it.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: Windows 10 !
« Reply #165 on: September 07, 2016, 01:50:50 pm »

To completely hide the taskbar

In order to completely hide the taskbar, we need to go for third-party tools. While there are many tools around, Taskbar Hider is one of the better tools out there for this job.

Taskbar Hider allows you assign a keyboard shortcut to hide or show the taskbar, so that you can hide or unhide the taskbar in a second. While using it, make sure to check the option labelled Load at Windows Startup

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: September 07, 2016, 04:04:59 pm »

My taskbar (set to auto hide) vanishes until the mouse comes into its area.  If not wanted at that time, a depart and quick return vanishes the taskbar and lets the mouse do what is wanted in that area.

"Apps" used to be application programs limited to smartphones, and some sources define them as self contained programs designed for a specific purpose.  The term has spread out to cover pretty much anything software related, probably for the benefit of those who cannot spell "program".  They are never "self contained", they always use a lot of resources from elsewhere.  For instance, a small spreadsheet to work out scale details could be called an "app", but clicking it just wakes up the spreadsheet module in the office suite which is run through windows which is a handy way of using the computers operating system.  Or a chunk of system in a mainframe computer at some unstated part of the world if it is a computer that runs all of its functions through an internet connection.
It has become a fairly meaningless catch all to help management and marketing to feel that they are effective in a technical world.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2016, 10:01:11 pm »

Thanks, C-3PO. I'll give it a try. Pity Microsoft can't be bothered to sort it out.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2016, 11:27:14 pm »

American spelling again   >>:-(
Programme  O0 in English
Even if the spell checker on here does not like it.  <:(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2016, 11:41:35 pm »

No Brian, program is correct in a computing context. Programmes are when listening to the Archers!

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2016, 12:48:45 am »

My Understanding that in the UK " Programme "  is in fact correct for Both , as In Colins example and Computer Software, However it is accepted that in General Computer Talk that the US version " Program is the adopted version.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #171 on: September 08, 2016, 07:33:58 am »

No Brian, program is correct in a computing context. Programmes are when listening to the Archers!

Colin

Why the difference?    {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2016, 08:01:35 am »

Why is there to, too and two.
it makes sense to me that there is a programme and program as is related to Different things and computer software, Programs were not around when the first word was introduced so makes sense to me to have a new word.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2016, 08:26:01 am »

I was wondering if it's Greek & Latin or French .... or something....

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2016, 08:30:33 am »

Yes, as Larry says, this is a case where using the US spelling makes things clearer. Computer program can only mean  (in the UK at least!) a set of instructions to make a computer work whereas computer programme could mean a roll out of i-Pads in a school or an update of an online banking system.

Language is always evolving, thus the French have adopted 'Le Weekend'. (which some people think covers the rest of the week as well!)

Colin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 23 queries.