Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 !  (Read 58964 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10 !
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2016, 03:19:44 pm »

How to Disable OneDrive Everywhere in Windows and Apps Completely

Press Win + R keyboard accelerator to open Run dialog box.
    Type GPedit.msc and hit Enter or OK to open Local Group Policy Editor.

Tried that (I hate OneDrive ) however says "GPedit.msc does not exist". 
Saving files is a real pain when you have to navigate all the way from Drive_C to get to what I have as my home directory.    Must be different versions of Win 10 ?
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2016, 03:27:31 pm »

Our W10 laptop is packed away at present, so not got this update yet to check.
Is this change now a shortcut instead of left clicking, then finding/clicking the Power menu, then clicking the Shutdown/Sleep? In which case it's a good thing surely.

It is the same procedure as before with a right click to start it >>:-(

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2016, 03:41:04 pm »

GPedit.msc only exists in the Win 10 Pro and Enterprise editions, but does not exist in the Home Edition.  Apparently Windows says this can only be accessed via the Registry direct - not recommended for home users.

OK, turning off the annoying OneDrive is effectively disabled for home users  >>:-(  <*<
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2016, 05:13:29 pm »

Barry, if you L/click the windows logo, it opens the panel just as it did before, only now it has an extra column, the power button is directly above the Windows logo when this panel opens.

This now means you can use either mouse button to turn the power off.  :-))
Im gonna need a bigger shed.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2016, 05:31:30 pm »

Kipper - Thank you, you're right and I now have two ways to shut down.  Why is ait all made unnecessarily complex by duplicating everything? My brain cell can only take so much before it wanders off in the direction of a beer.

BM

C-3PO - It is Version 1607

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2016, 07:31:31 pm »

I never let my machine acutivate one drive, and it doesnt even try, actually I think when it offered to help me set it up and create a login I hit cancel.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2016, 07:42:45 pm »

How to Geeks have a way to kill OneDrive at http://www.howtogeek.com/225973/how-to-disable-onedrive-and-remove-it-from-file-explorer-on-windows-10/ which worked just fine.  Unfortunately the latest update put it back, taking a long time to do it.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2016, 08:35:24 pm »

Beat me to it, I was just going to post that link!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2016, 08:56:51 pm »

I have only ever used the left click on the mouse ,  on the windows icon to shut down the PC  since I installed it shortly after it was launched ?.?? Nothing has changed !!

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2016, 10:58:43 am »

W10 completely stuffed my laptop, but on my nice shiny new Microsoft/Lumina 650 phone it works perfectly. Not the slightest glitch...spot on.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2016, 11:37:49 am »

I have only ever used the left click on the mouse ,  on the windows icon to shut down the PC  since I installed it shortly after it was launched ?.?? Nothing has changed !!

Yep  :-))
Mine works on left click as well as right.

Ned

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2016, 12:08:43 pm »

There appears to be a case of comparing apples with oranges! ( waiting for the crack re Apples ! ) - Unless we are all comparing the same version of W10 there are likely to be differences.

You can type Winver in the search box which displays a pop up box - I think the latest version is Windows 10, version 1607

I am not on the latest version hence not seeing the changes mentioned so cannot relate to them yet....
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2016, 12:25:31 pm »

My version is 1607.

Ned

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2016, 12:57:25 pm »

Goodness this is beginning to sound like the actual life span of the original Magna Carta  %)...[the system of laws of operating]

Did the 1215 version not last for less than a year before it was replaced by a revised 1216 edition from those learned men? {-)

Did any of the common folk ask for this revision? or was it forced upon them by those  <*< in power?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

petermun

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2016, 02:18:47 pm »

Derek, I`m old, but not that old, so can`t help you I`m afraid.   Pete

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2016, 03:00:35 pm »

The importance of 1607  (which I appear to be on)

Jan 13th The Bank of Genoa fails after announcement of national bankruptcy in Spain.
Jan 19th San Agustin Church in Manila is officially completed; it is currently the oldest church in the Philippines
Jan 30th Massive flooding in England destroys around 200 square miles of coastline and results in approximately 2,000 casualties
Feb 24th Claudio Monteverdi's opera "Orfeo" premieres in Mantua
Apr 25th Battle at Gibraltar: Dutch fleet beats Spanish/Portuguese fleet
Apr 26th 1st English colony in American lands at Cape Henry, Virginia

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2016, 04:46:00 pm »

Sounds a bit like last night's 6 o'clock news %%

Ned

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: October 20, 2016, 09:32:43 am »

Before I go outside with a revolver and one bullet, can anyone make a suggestion of where I am going wrong? - No references to my past life, please and keep it clean.
The PC is a 3.30GHz, 4GB, 64 bit, machine that was running Windows 7 before I loaded the free download of Windows 10. All was sweetness and light until instability and erratic operation of Edge crept in. I made all the usual checks for nasties and drew a blank then reset Edge which made no difference. Finally, having backed everything up, I decided to reset Widows 10. The process started OK and then went downhill. Suffice to say it hung-up and then sulked and nothing I could do would achieve a reset.
Going into the Boot process, I selected the option to restore the factory settings and got back a stable Windows 7.  I then downloaded the MS media creation tool and started to reload Windows 10. Downloading was completed, verification followed and then the system moved onto 'Checking for updates'. 10 hours lqater it was still looking for updates. I went thorugh the procedure again and, again, it is still looking for updates. It seems I cannot terminate its search without prejudicing the restore process.
Any suggestions of where I go next? - Referring to the PC, that is?
Barry M

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #218 on: October 20, 2016, 09:44:52 am »

Hi Barry,

I have moved to Firefox as my default browser - like most things has taken time to adjust but I have come to like it's functionality more and more. Recently my Internet Explorer on W10 Build B1607 (Anniversary Edition) has begun to intermittently hang. Tried Edge for a matter on minutes before realising it wasn't for me.

No doubt a red herring but worth a try - disconnect PC  from access to internet, USB drives etc before starting the process - maybe it will then sense it can't get any updates and continue and complete install?

Not sure this makes sense but have a look at https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1529086-windows-10-upgrade-stuck-at-checking-for-updates-0

Regards
Jonathan

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: October 20, 2016, 10:04:28 am »

Barry, all I can suggest is you go back in time and DON'T RELOAD WINDOWS 10 , for every 10 successful upgrades to 10 there will be 15 who's suffered a DISASTER . . . .Microsoft had the effrontery to install it without regard , every computer WILL BE DIFFERENT, they can't possibly know wether a machine will be a trouble free installation . . . >>:-( 
Bill 

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #220 on: October 20, 2016, 10:35:15 am »

Barry, all I can suggest is you go back in time and DON'T RELOAD WINDOWS 10 , for every 10 successful upgrades to 10 there will be 15 who's suffered a DISASTER . . . .Microsoft had the effrontery to install it without regard , every computer WILL BE DIFFERENT, they can't possibly know wether a machine will be a trouble free installation . . . >>:-( 
Bill 

60% of Windows 10 upgrades failed in disaster - really? - Is this fact or opinion?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #221 on: October 20, 2016, 11:02:32 am »

Hi Barry,

No doubt a red herring but worth a try - disconnect PC  from access to internet, USB drives etc before starting the process - maybe it will then sense it can't get any updates and continue and complete install?

Regards
Jonathan

That is a very good idea!   :-))

60% of Windows 10 upgrades failed in disaster - really? - Is this fact or opinion?

I'm not a fan of the Win 10 update system, it still needs 'user intervention' in many cases but doesn't always tell you!
If you have fairly good internet, reboot after about an hour of inactivity.
Also, see if you manufacturer is offers a BIOS update for you Desktop / laptop / system board!

M

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: October 20, 2016, 12:13:24 pm »

What makes you think it I not fact. {:-{ {:-{

As a novice I looked far and wide, read the reviews, and am still with WIN7 Pro. That is fact, based on opinion. O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: October 20, 2016, 01:08:43 pm »

It's a 100% failure as far as I'm concerned , 2 years of docs & pix lost, I'd been blocking the auto update for months (I didn't know about the 'Never 10' app' 'til later) all my data was on a separate SSD that was nearly full , & I was waiting the arrival of a bigger SSD . . . they changed the permissions pop up . . . . & I wasn't blocking it anymore , it self installed & put the reinstall Win 7 process files on my data SSD (45gb) & wiped out everything . . . . >>:-(   
Even tried to 'upgrade' the fresh install of Win 7 , I had 'never 10' by then , when I want it I'll buy it[size=78%] . . . .[/size]
[/size]

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: October 20, 2016, 01:21:33 pm »

Where are your backups then? Don't tell me you didn't make any. Hard disks can fail at any time, they don't need help from Microsoft.

Colin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.