Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 !  (Read 59009 times)

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
Re: Windows 10 !
« Reply #225 on: October 20, 2016, 01:35:56 pm »

What makes you think it I not fact. {:-{ {:-{

RAAArtyGunner

What makes you think the statement (for every 10 ok another 15 fail) is 100% accurate for the state of all W10 upgrades in the world? Where is the evidence to back up such a specifc  statement. I have read many horror stories of failed upgrades - they tend to get the press as the adrenaline runs - not the case with the sucessfull upgrades that get no press.

I simply wanted clarification/evidence to support a very specific statement " for every 10 successful upgrades to 10 there will be 15 who's suffered a DISASTER"

So if the person making the statement had direct experience of these numbers then fair comment (worked in IT with direct experience of large scale upgrade programs/ a large organisation that had several 100's pc's and this 10/15 rate was proven ) - if you had one PC upgrade fail (although really painful) doesn't mean you can stretch things to make it fit your world. So without asking the question seeking clarification I could not digest the info given.

Now several months on from many Mayhem users converting to W10 it would be interesting to see what their current opinions are of W10  -  people who have actually used W10 rather than just read reviews.

So I'll go first - 10 months using W10 everyday for work on desktop and laptop (5-12 hours a day) - only issue experienced is Internet Explorer freezes sometimes  (this however could be due to my snail pace internet connection)

Top likes - power on time - <10 seconds

Regards
Jonathan

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
« Reply #226 on: October 20, 2016, 04:20:13 pm »

I took the free upgrade from Win 7 pro, have used Win 10 ever since, but must state that Win 10 has thrown more hissy fits in 8 months, than my Win 7 did in its 18 months on my machine.
I also kicked 'Edge' into touch & use Firefox. I still have my 'hard copy' of Win. 7 Pro, so if Win. 10 does get too flaky, or wants to make me use an app other than MY preference, then 10 will be out & 7 reinstated.  :-))
Im gonna need a bigger shed.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: October 20, 2016, 06:50:57 pm »

Having followed the WIN10 upgrade thread/s on Mayhem, by a rough indication of successful to iffy upgrade experiences I would say that a ratio of 10 good to 15 dodgy issues seems about right.

For me it is no faster, even starting up.  Some of the new bits like Edge and the reintroduction of the non helpful paperclip are useless additions.  IE is slower, and keeps hanging up for no apparent reason.  Frankly I was expecting better, but it works, sort of.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: October 20, 2016, 06:56:47 pm »

Win 95, Win 98, Win Millennium, Win 2000, Win XP, Win 7 all had similar problems until they settled down.

Win98 had to wait for Win98SE before that was stable and Win XP was dreadful until SP 1 arrived.

According to MS, Win 10 activations have reached 340,000,000 units, so on the "facts" in this thread over 510million installs have failed !

I don't think so.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: October 20, 2016, 07:03:49 pm »

Ahem, getting back to my original query and the solutions kindly suggested: I tried cutting the internet connection but checking for updates continued and after an hour I gave up. I also tried downloading KB3102810 but was flummoxed to find that although download was confirmed, no 'Run' or 'Save' buttons appeared and a search did not reveal where the download was - if it had in fact happened.  I tried downloading other Win 7 updates and the same thing happened. Is my Win 7 reload as stable and complete as I thought? Is it worth resetting to ex-factory condition again and repeating the whole process? 
When I terminated the Win 10 download attempts, I got the message that tidying up was in progress. Four hours later it was still tidying up..........
My patience and the supply of Doctor Skullsplitter's soothing lotion is getting low.
Regards,
Barry M

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #230 on: October 20, 2016, 07:13:59 pm »

Barry,
Seems like you may have hit an/the issue - if W7 is not accepting updates

Have a look in "control panel / Windows Updates / View update history"

Maybe this will shed some light on the status of updates

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24367-windows-update-view-update-history-details.html

I have just checked for KB3102810 to work you need to install this update first,  install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7

I think you need to get your W7 updated 100% before you start W10 upgrade

Regards

Jonathan

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #231 on: October 20, 2016, 08:33:09 pm »

Jonathon,
Service Pack 1 is not included in the list of downloaded updates. If I go to the MS website I find a) the pages are not loading completely and b) even if I click onto the SP1 link, I'm taken back to the top page. Round and round we go without ever landing on the right spot.
Perhaps the attempts to reload Win 10 have scrambled part of the system?  I'm going to see if I can reset Win 7 again. I may be gone some time.
Cheers,
Barry M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: October 20, 2016, 09:29:21 pm »

Yes, you do have to install SP1 on W7 before updating to W10. It was in the original publicity when W10 first came out.

Colin

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: October 21, 2016, 12:25:49 am »

Where are your backups then? Don't tell me you didn't make any. Hard disks can fail at any time, they don't need help from Microsoft.

Colin

Been knocking computers together from secondhand parts since the '90's I've always used a second (or third) hard drive for the data , never had problems recovering after crashes thru my own stupidity or Microsofts , the external hard drives were in the realm of the monied . . .
This computer I'm on now is all brand new with SSD's , ( & a DVD recorder)it's been nearly 2 years trouble free on Win 7 Pro ( I BUY all the O S software I dont use pirate or copies) I know externals are way cheaper now , hard to change a habit , BUT I will convert the small SSD's to externals , enclosures are pocket money on E Bay , as I've said I will probably get Win 10 eventually ( why are there so many upgrades with 10 ? thought it was sorted . . . ) WHEN I'M READY .  >:-o
Bill

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: October 21, 2016, 01:36:22 am »

Yes a good point about all the upgrades.

Recall the commentary with XP and all the fixes.

The commentary was, just release the product and repair it as you go, saves money and time by minimising research and development?????
Gunna build those other boats one day.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: November 01, 2016, 09:36:33 am »

As an update to my #231, my PC is now up and running courtesy of Sprint Computers of Livingston (unpaid plug). They reckoned that Win 7 needs at least 200 updates other than SP1 in order for Win 10 to download successfully.
I now have repair and recovery disks as well as automatic back-up and so, fingers crossed, the PC demons will be kept at bay for a while.
Regards and thanks to all those who offered help.
Barry M

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2016, 09:48:24 am »

Hi all while this thread was on going earlier this year I was feeling smug with my MacBookPro all 17 inches of it.  Unfortunately this laptop has a weakness and overheats.  Already had 2 repairs and last month the lights went out, literally, and so I looked at a replacement.  The cost of a new Apple was ridiculous for my needs and so I went elsewhere.
I now have an HP15 Envy, looks and feels just like my MacBookPro runs on Widows 10 which I am picking up on.
big troubles transferring back up data from disc and went to local Computer company who did a great job for not a lot, and sold me a nice DVD player.
I made the mistake here of reading the instructions and installing the disc driver s/w, which did not work.  I do not know why?
I rang the company expecting to take everything into them, but they had put in remote access s/w.  So the fix happened at home, to get things going I was told to insert a disc and I used the current British Railway Modelling monthly free disc .  Turned out 2 of the guys there were interested in model railways but had not mentioned it before!
All going well just sorting out my filing system.
regards to all,
Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2016, 11:40:38 am »

Seems Santa has arrived early for you this year Roy!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2016, 09:49:04 pm »

I am finding W10 quite good, although since upgrading from 8.1 my laptop froze randomly, which was most annoying. I took it to my local computer repair shop and the boys there soon sorted it out for me. The owner suggested to me that the laptop would benefit greatly by replacing the HDD with a SSD (solid state drive), which gives very much faster disc access times and can greatly improve the performance of the computer. Has anyone had any experience with this type of drive? Martin, you're the computer geek %)  what do you know about them? They are dearer per Gb of storage space than HDDs but, unlike HDDs, have no moving parts.

Peter.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: December 09, 2016, 09:58:49 pm »

I have a SSD in my old XP Pro machine and it is visibly faster than conventional HD drives.

For example when running "clean up" and other utility software you can literally see the quickness of the operation being performed.

Also understand that defragging of SSD's is not necessary.

Only reason haven't got a SSD in this Windows 7 Pro machine is, I don't have the disc to reinstall Windows.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #240 on: December 09, 2016, 10:07:32 pm »

Raaarty, if you connect the second hard drive temporarily via a usb link, you can clone your existing hard drive to the new ssd one, you then have your old hard drive as the backup. I have a usb hot swap box that I use for this - or get cheap hard drive enclosure of the right type.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #241 on: December 09, 2016, 10:11:16 pm »

Definitely put in an SSD! Benefits? I sold my half share in a rather temperamental MacBook Pro to my son, and spent the money on a refurbished HP Elitebook. Not slim and elegant like the Macbook but performs better! As it came with a 'free' docking station that had a DVD drive, I put in an 250GB SSD to replace the HDD and moved that into the space created by removing the DVD drive.

I now have an even speedier laptop than before, starts up from cold in between 10 and 15 seconds. Things like Photoshop and Lightroom load up in a flash and anything that's drive intensive, like Hauptwerk (a virtual pipe organ that loads all its pipes into RAM before you can play a note) is way, way faster than before.

I was so impressed, I got another drive and put that in as the main drive in this PC, with Win 7 installed (I've already had my say about why I'm not upgrading until software or drivers force me to), leaving the previous HDDs still there, one of them running an entirely separate XP installation with all my music and recording apps on it. When I upgrade again, I'll go SSD all-round.

Any downsides? I've heard reports of them failing. "Avoid Seagate", someone told me - too late, I already had two and, touch wood, have had no issues with either. My son's had a couple of SSDs fail but he 'thrashes' his computers for heavy gaming and photography. The SSDs in our servers (we're really wired up here - son looks after servers for a living!) are all fine too! In any case I back up all my data to an external HDD regularly (as we all do, don't we?) so if the worst were to happen, I'd only lose a day or two's data.

So I'd say "Go for it!"
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #242 on: December 09, 2016, 10:32:39 pm »

Raaarty, if you connect the second hard drive temporarily via a usb link, you can clone your existing hard drive to the new ssd one, you then have your old hard drive as the backup. I have a usb hot swap box that I use for this - or get cheap hard drive enclosure of the right type.

Grendel,

Thank you.
Simple, should be able to manage that.
Have a couple of SATA hard drive enclosures I use for backup.  :-)) :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: December 10, 2016, 09:04:46 pm »

Thanks for the info, I think I will go for a SSD. My laptop is over 3 years old but has a Core i7 chip, and my repair man told me with a SSD it would be as good, if not better, than many new machines.

The only HDDs I've ever had fail were Seagates, so I tend to avoid them now. All five of my external HDDs are Western Digital (WD), and I've not yet had any problems.

Peter.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #244 on: December 10, 2016, 09:15:59 pm »

I have a SSD in mine just for windows.
It boots up in less that 60 secs.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: December 10, 2016, 11:59:28 pm »

Further to my reply (236) when I was having my problems with my MacBookPro the guy doing the repairs said they were re-furbishing 15 inch MBP's about 4 /5 years old and were removing the hard drive replacing with 256Gbite SSD and a much bigger RAM. The improvement also reduced the heat inside the laptop.
So there were no moving parts apart from the cooling fans.  However at £850+ I did not think it a viable proposition.  When demonstrated the speed was very fast but I reckoned they were half way through their life at this stage and declined the offer. 
Another factor was the Apple apparent rules of declining to fix or supply spares for laptops over 4 years old.  This is what I was told (in the Apple store) when I had the first breakdown on my laptop which was then 6 years old.
regards Roy

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #246 on: January 02, 2017, 09:07:32 pm »

The Emoji problem seems to have been sorted as can now use across the forums  :} :} :} :} :} 8) 8) 8) 8) :police: :police: :police:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.