Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Satin grey in a rattle can?  (Read 3279 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Satin grey in a rattle can?
« on: May 25, 2016, 03:37:27 pm »

Can anyone please recommend a source of a satin light grey which can go on over Halfords' grey primer?  Got to be a good enough colour for a working boat deck, and available in a rattle can. 

Failing that, is the way forward Halfords' aerosol satin lacquer sprayed on top of one of their normal gloss car body colours?

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

inertia

Re: Satin grey in a rattle can?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:03:08 pm »

Norman
Have you tried using Halfords Satin Clear Lacquer (which is very good stuff) over the basic grey primer? I've used it successfully on top of the red primer so I know it sticks to, and won't react with the primer. Like the man says, test it on a scrap piece first.
Dave M

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 05:34:44 pm »

Dave, that's an excellent idea and certainly worth a try.  Thank you  :-)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 06:01:18 pm »

Ask then to do you a satin grey mix in an aerosol then it will defo go over their primer

Dave

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 02:39:23 pm »

Ask then to do you a satin grey mix in an aerosol then it will defo go over their primer

Alas, that seems to be a non-starter.  According to the manager of the local Halfords, on the face of it they can mix either to a car-maker's colour number or to a RAL number, which is fine ('cos I could easily give him the latter) - but they can only do a satin to a car-maker's number for a satin paint!  Apparently it's a software limitation.  And off the top of his head, the only satin he could think of was a Vauxhall satin red  :((

So the hunt is now on for a light grey car colour which isn't a metallic which I can then finish with Halfords Satin lacquer - and so far there seems too be no such thing ...

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 03:44:24 pm »

British Telecom vans used to be light grey. Just a thought, as I had a pint mixed at local car sprayer. Not satin but gloss.
..well can you land on this?

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 03:48:10 pm »

British Telecom vans used to be light grey. Just a thought, as I had a pint mixed at local car sprayer.

Indeed.  I could get any colour I wanted mixed locally - if I didn't need it to be in an aerosol ...

rsm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 03:57:15 pm »

I use Halfords Ford Polar Grey in a can, on my warships, and then cover it with satin varnish/lacquer. It's quite a light shade of grey.
Roger

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 05:51:31 pm »

I use Halfords Ford Polar Grey in a can, on my warships, and then cover it with satin varnish/lacquer. It's quite a light shade of grey.

Oh nice one Roger!  Thank you very much indeed for that.  Back to Halfords tomorrow then for a can of that and that's me sorted yet again  :-)

Blessed be he that invented the bus pass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.