Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dreadnought ??  (Read 1473 times)

andypandy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
dreadnought ??
« on: May 26, 2016, 09:33:20 am »

hi guys I have been restoring a damaged model its now up and running alls well with it but im a little puzzled she a model of "the dreadnought "HMS RENOWN" having read an article amongst the sections thers no mention of my ship she does have the im sorry if thi is the wrong term but a pointed bow and stern with the added armour along her flanks  and iv been led to believe she was a first worl war ship refitted for world war 2 but also a dreadnought class ship am I wrong any help would be appreciated I couldn't talk to original builder nor do I have any plans this is just a general question thanks in advance for any replies great forum guys

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: dreadnought ??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 09:57:15 am »

HMS Renown was a battlecruiser and not a Dreadnought battleship. She was completed during the later stages of the First War, rebuilt during the 1930's and eventually scrapped in 1948. Her sister was HMS Repulse, and she was lost along with HMS Prince of Wales, off Malaya in December 1941.

There are lots of pictures of both ships on the net.

LB

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 11:34:24 am »

Here she is in 1918 and 1945!  The big changes seem to be the removal of the "Fighting Top" and the replacement of the crane boom for a Jib crane.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 01:20:16 pm »

To clarify, the term "Dreadnought" became synonymous with large battleships with more than 4 large guns the whole been taken from the first all big gun battleship Dreadnought (10 of 12" guns). Every battleship then fell into two categories Pre-Dreadnoughts and Dreadnoughts as a generic term. Yes Renown was a "Dreadnought" because she was all big guns.

Any pictures of the model?

Cheers

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.