Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Cressy far from home  (Read 1433 times)

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Cressy far from home
« on: May 26, 2016, 11:47:36 am »

I had the opprtunity to visit the marvellous 'Ships of the Sea' museum last week in Savannah, Georgia. This beautiful venue is entirely dedicated to ship models, by far the most interesting to me being the original builders' model of the tragic cruiser Cressy. Sunk by a single submarine, the cruisers Cressy, Aboukir and Hogue were manned by reservists and young boys who were remembered as 'Churchill's babes', relating to the First Lords' decision to put them in harms' way picketing the Thames Estuary.

This Fairfields built model, perhaps the last tangible surviving link to the ships, came to America via auction the 1960's and is displayed in what seems to it's original glass case. The Fairfields plate states that it represents both Aboukir and Cressy. I've been in touch with the staff about this model for some time and they very kindly sent me photographs that contributed to my own model of Niobe. But I'd not seen it personally, or the absolutely stunning museum, surely the most glorious ship model museum in existence!

The model is extremely difficult to photograph, so the following is just to give flavour: (the reflected lights are of a sinking Titanic in an adjacent case!)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: HMS Cressy far from home
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 06:34:42 pm »

Thanks for sharing
If the models are on display it's
a much better place than in UK
where models are hidden away
and interactive displays rule.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.