Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Restoration, Sea Queen or is it?  (Read 3023 times)

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
New Restoration, Sea Queen or is it?
« on: May 31, 2016, 05:05:48 pm »

I've been given another old boat for restoration, as it was too large for the previous owner to deal with.
On the life ring at the back it has painted "M.V. Sea Queen Southend", but it's not the same shape as the Aeronaut 'Sea Queen', was there a previous version?

Its 1290 long, 375beam, 75mm prop
Currently it has a Ripmax Bulett 30 fitted (Badly) to it, and I believe it was running on 6V, so it must have been somewhat under powered.
Obviously originally IC.
Propshaft bushes are shot, so that will need replacing, or remaking.

It needs a lot of rework, but it will be a pleasure to do.
It will be nice to give it enough power to get it on the plane, so have to play sometime.

Rockets

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: New Restoration, Sea Queen or is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 10:18:32 pm »

Has a bit of a look of Vic Smeed's Vivacity about it.

Rockets

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 11:18:06 pm »

That's an unusual model. At first I thought it was a re worked aerokits sea queen,  with a chopped cabin and a raised front end. The length is wrong though, the sea queen was 46 inches, 4 inches shorter than yours. I  think it's a bit of a home design, the raised front end is a tad out of proportion and the cabin front is a bit unusual. One thing I am sure of, it's going to restore into a wonderful model,  you are going to enjoy yourself with this.
Chas

Rockets

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 12:46:29 pm »

I really like the patina, it has a real vintage look to it. Are you going to fully restore or just update the mechanicals and radio?
It would just be a light clean and new power for me!

Jon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 11:46:16 pm »

It will be a sympathetic restoration and a new powertrain. Hull will get stripped back, filled faired and resprayed. Deck and structure will get cleaned back, repaired, windows replaced, deck revarnished but patina remaining hopefully, cabin sanded back to get rid of the runs then repainted. Deck fittings need to be repaired or replaced. So its quite an overhall eventually, but initially Ill get it on the water with minimal work and check her over. Found the propshaft was bent last night. So Im going to ream the worn bearings to 6mm and replace the 7/32 shaft with a new 6mm one. Prop is on a 3/16 BSF thread, so ill turn the end of the new shaft down and thread to suit. The original motor (Ripmax Bullet 30) seems to be about 670KV, so running on 14V may be ok, (Aprox 10Krpm) as long as it dosent take more than the 15A rating of the motor. Dont know what RPM others are running on the sea queens with 75mm 3 blade props?

Rockets

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:25:57 am »

Hello Jon,

Sounds like a great plan. I think it will be a very satisfying model when you get it done.
I dug out my copy of Vic's Vivacity plan and the similarities are definitely there, I guess it was a style of the time. Hopefully I'll get around to building it, one day...

Rockets

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 01:27:20 pm »

Gentlemans yacht, I believe is the style..it is nice
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.