Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel  (Read 69402 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel
« on: June 03, 2016, 08:23:53 am »

My next build has been in the planning stages for 6 months now and to all those who have answered what may have seemed stupid question in that time, I thank you - there will be more!

So the Stril Barents, she was launched in February 2015 from the Vard Aukra yards, with the designation of 1-06. Designated a multi role vessel she is a platform supply vessel with fire fighting capabilities,  a rescue vessel, able to support subsea operations and towing.

She carries two fast rescue ribs in hangars port and starboard. Has a daughterboat launched from a hanger in the stern also at the starboard stern is another hangar having a ROV for subsea work.

Propulsion is supplied by two main drives, two tunnel thrusters at the stern, two tunnel thrusters at the bow and one retractable azimuth thruster at the bow, all these can be controlled via a dynamic positioning system to hold the ship on station to within a metre.

I hope (hope is a big word!) to have all the above operational on my build, to that end it will contain a lot of electronics that along with all the other systems need to be designed as I go, so this is not going to be a quick build.

I'll start with two photo's of the actual boat a a short video to show some of those systems working....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFx3g47y94&feature=youtu.be

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 08:28:17 am »

So state of play so far. I began by making a spine.... the reason I call it a spine and not a keel is obvious really. I did this for two purposes, first was at 1:72 I still wasn't sure if this was going to fit in   with my self imposed size restrictions, as it happens it is only 4 inches longer than my existing anchor handler. Secondly as this was going to be a plug to pull a grp mould from, there was no reason to get really involved with ribs etc that would be destroyed afterwards.

The next set of photo's will show why however I added some decks.....

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 08:31:39 am »

I was going for a quick build for this plug and didn't want to waste too much in the way of materials. to this end the decks may be in place but they are held with hot glue which I can cut with a dremel afterwards and save some of the plywood for other projects.

The voids were filled with open cell builders expanding foam. Then carved to shape, the photo's show it in both the rough and also the 1st carving/sanding to shape, I've used 50 grit paper on a power sander.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 08:37:47 am »

Once I have the basic shape sorted, I will go over again with hand sanding and then cover in plaster of paris, then sand again, seal and paint. Then it will be on to waxing and the 1st layup of grp.

I have because of the shape moulded in the whole of the A deck and B deck at the bow, rather than build these up afterwards once the hull is pulled from the mould, I have also built in the hanger opening at the stern due to it having rounded sides, this would be difficult to accomplish on the finished piece. This of course will require a multi part mould, not just two halves! I am thinking at the moment it will be made in 5 sections.

The last couple of photo's show some lovely brushless motors. I have been collecting parts for since the new year so I building up quite a stock for this ship. These motors arrived earlier this week from Hobbyking. They will provide the propulsion for the tunnel thrusters and azimuth drive.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 09:18:12 pm »

Crikey - you certainly don't hang about do you Brian?

I'm liking the way you're going about the plug - rather clever really. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 09:44:34 pm »

Looking forward to follow this build, great start!
Hama

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 02:08:35 pm »

Going to be an interesting build Brian, look forward to more progress.
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 04:40:16 pm »

Have you begun the thread again Brian? I ask because I remember watching the video and commenting on the clever methods of retreiving boats, and I am sure there were more replies than 5. Perhaps the Moderators had a clear out of gibberish!

I look forward to your build log especialy alll the boat handling equipment :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 05:03:10 pm »

Have you begun the thread again Brian? I ask because I remember watching the video and commenting on the clever methods of retreiving boats, and I am sure there were more replies than 5. Perhaps the Moderators had a clear out of gibberish!

I look forward to your build log especialy alll the boat handling equipment :-))

No Ian its a seperate entity. The first one was in chit chat to show everyone what I was contemplating building, after all my queries on various subjects members were asking what all the questions were over.

This is the actual build log for people to follow.

Crikey - you certainly don't hang about do you Brian?

I'm liking the way you're going about the plug - rather clever really. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

Like all things Ray, I thought I'd had a brainwave on building the plug like this. But earlier this week I saw something quite similar on a german website!

Going to be an interesting build Brian, look forward to more progress.

I'm looking forward to the actual build up mate, I really hate all the prep work of plugs/ moulds etc etc, but they have to be done. Keep looking in for more.

Looking forward to follow this build, great start!
Hama

Its going to be a long one Hama, I hope you don't lose interest  before its finished :embarrassed:

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 10:09:31 pm »

This is the actual build log for people to follow.

I shall sit and wait patiently.

Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 11:33:49 am »

Well not a lot happening over the last couple of weeks, except for sanding.

I've sanded, filled, sanded, filled, primed, sanded, primed etc etc since the last post. Now the plug is finished and just needs waxing before grp begins. As I am still waiting for the resin being delivered from Majorca, and the matt coming over from the UK with my sister in law, work stops again.

I am still waiting for my my electronics stuff to be delivered also, so I cannot detail any of that work either, so you will have to make do with these couple of photos, as the plug appears today. I've plonked a 300mm set square on it to show the actual size.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 08:06:05 pm »

That's looking really nice.  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 10:52:16 pm »

She won't win any beauty contests but your getting her shape right and the surface pretty darn good, she's a winner.

Pardon my ignorance but don't you live on mainland Spain? If so how odd that your resin comes from an island. Perhaps GRPing is big on the Balearics.

I look forward to seeing your next update and wish you success in getting everything in one place for your epic build.
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 03:34:32 pm »

It is the only supplier of resin I have found on ebay Spain. I've looked at various yacht chandlers on the coast and unlike the UK where everyone does their own repairs, it seems, like their cars, the Spanish take their boats to a repair yard, so nobody carries the stock. I can't even get matting here. If you go on ebay, like the resin it comes from suppliers based in the UK or Germany!

So I got 10 metres of mat delivered to my sis in law in the UK free delivery £21 for the mat. Or the delivery to Spain is £21 for the mat plus £12 for delivery. Sis in law is cheaper option even if I have to wait  %)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 11:05:31 pm »

The wonders and occasional frustration of different cultures %%

Pond weed is your enemy

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 09:07:31 pm »

Hi Brian
An interesting project and your plug looks great :-))  Looking forward to following along

Kind Regards

Nigel

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 01:01:07 pm »

Hi Brian
An interesting project and your plug looks great :-))  Looking forward to following along

Kind Regards

Nigel
O0 O0 O0

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 03:26:49 pm »

Bet you all thought I'd given up - wrong  {-) Due to the extremely hot weather we've had, trying to work with grp since the last update has been a nightmare. Resin with a worktime of 20 - 25 minutes gelled in the cup in just 4 minutes,  {:-{ so its been a battle. Then as mentioned in chit chat, the surface wax I was sold as silicone free made the pva release agent react, so it all had to be removed from the mould and that thoroughly cleaned out before starting over.

For the mould seen in the first photo I made up a beeswax and turpentine polish, melt the solid beeswax bars in a tin, add 50% turps mix thoroughly and allow to cool and set, a lovely wax paste that not only is good for coating a mould, but does wonders as an old fashioned furniture polish - go on make your wives day, you know you want to :} The timber stretchers across the mould were to stop it flexing outwards until the first layer gelled. I had made the mould intentionally thin as I didn't want to waste too much material on something to be thrown away afterward.

Then it was apply the gel coat and the first layer of glass mat. This happened last weekend, the next two layers of glass mat went on during this week and this weekend I'll remove it from the mould. Hopefully there won't be too much to correct once it comes out and I can mark it up for all the openings to be cut, so come sunday maybe an update showing the actual hull.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 10:15:22 pm »

Well it certainly looks promising.

Hope it all goes well with the next stage. O0

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 10:40:55 pm »

Could you recoup some of your modelling costs by selling the mould on? I am sure there would be others interested in the subject.
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 08:19:53 am »

Well it certainly looks promising.

Hope it all goes well with the next stage. O0

Regards,

Ray.

I'm eagerly awating pulling it from the mould this morning Ray :-)

Could you recoup some of your modelling costs by selling the mould on? I am sure there would be others interested in the subject.

Not really Ian, shipping cost from eastern Spain to anywhere else would be astronomical and make it not worthwhile.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 08:06:14 pm »

Right on saturday I removed it from the mould and for the most part it was fine, just a couple of small blemishes to fill and the mould lines to remove/fill. I did have to make a reverse curve lip around where the superstructure will eventually go. I couldn't mould this in at the beginning, it made the shape just too complicated. This can be seen better in the last photo.

So what you see in the photo's are the hull out of the mould, first filling of blemishes, then sand all over with 50 grit paper - very rough but what I wanted for this stage. Then  a mist coat of rattle can primer all over. This is done because on the second sanding (180 grit this time) you are aiming to remove this paint. Any patches left mean there are low points or dings that need a second filler, this is shown in the following photo's of the bow, you can see a slight indent in the 'nose' and also along where the mould line was.

So more filler added, another sanding with 180 grit a final mist coat of primer and then a sanding down with 400 grit, to a nice finish - this part will be done in the morning. Then its mark out for cutting the various openings like windows,freeing ports, etc etc. Then into a proper primer coat before moving on.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 08:13:04 pm »

You have to focus on how the final finish will be whilst filling all the dings and looking at what at first seems a right state. It is interesting to watch and see your methods, thanks Brian.
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 02:58:05 pm »

OK this is what I have learned this week, on reading general arrangement plans, all is not always as turns out in full size!

My g.a drawing showed the bow end being a mirror image port and starboard, while the stern end only has two hangar doors on the starboard. I made up a paper template of all the positions - hangar doors, hawse holes, windows, portholes, access hatches etc etc. I marked them all on the starboard side and cut them out.

I then pencilled them in on the port side but as it was late, I left the cutting until the day after -- good job I did!

Studying my photo's to make sure I had included everything, it suddenly clicked that the port side layout of the bow was totally different apart that is from the fast rescue craft hangar door, I was already aware there were no stern details apart from hawse holes.

These two photos show the stern tunnel thrusters cut into the hull, the hole for the stern daughter craft hanger and the two starboard hangar doors for oil spill recovery and rov operations.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 03:03:01 pm »

These three you can compare the difference between port and starboard layout. If you look closely you will also notice that the port side is also set on different levels to the starboard side. It must make for interesting internal split deck layout on the real ship!! Even the windows are different sizes from side to side- I double checked this on my photo's.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.