Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel  (Read 69379 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2016, 02:02:21 pm »

It's great to see you are making progress Brian. Obviously, the access to the daughter boat dock will be limited, I just hope you don't forget any part(s) before the ship goes together.
Will the dock be illuminated on the completed model?...it's just a thought :-)

Regards,

Ray.

I'd like to say to much thought has gone in for me to forget something Ray, but never say never! The whole ship will be illuminated eventually, I just have to work out how to make about 60 flouoroscent tubes 12mm by 4mm  :}

That is a lot of model cars without wheels! Pop them on Ebay for wargamers as they are always looking for old car models to make barricades and distopian scenes with.

That wouldn't be worth it Ian, the cars were only 90 cents each so about 60p, it would cost me far more in postage from Spain. I am also on a facebook page called weathered models, the vast majority of which are so 'weathered' they couldn't possibly be like that in real life! So the idea had crossed my mind ;)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2016, 10:21:38 am »

Well its been so long without an update I bet you all thought I'd given up!

So lets back up a bit, I spent days that ran into weeks trying to get the drive units for the thrusters built, I could not get the gears to mesh no matter what I tried. After a month of on off days where I had just lost total interest, I put aside a full day to re-jig and drill out to a larger size the plastic gears. This is when with some serious measuring I found out the actual pilot holes in them were off centre! The tolerance is ok for push along childrens toys but nowhere near good enough for what I wanted.

So hours of trawling t'internet and I came up with a new German supplier with reasonably priced brass gears. This cast off the cloud of disillusionment and I began afresh. These cost me 5€ each and I needed 10 ouch! The second photo shows the parts of the drive gearbox with the plastic gear on the shaft, One support bearing is already in the housing. Of course all the measurments now have to be redone to take into account the brass bearings are slightly longer in length, at the moment I think I just might have to buy some more copper 12mm T fitttings and redo the housing.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2016, 10:25:22 am »

Back up a bit more, remember the cars? well before I threw them out I realised I could cut the seats away from some of them so I also have the swivel chairs for the bridge once I get that far.

So I had the gears now, but I put them to one side and got on with the hull. I installed the tubes for the bow and stern thrusters, I can cut the holes for the drives later on. I'm in full on mode now to get the hull finished and painted before christmas.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2016, 10:32:48 am »

Those photo's also show the rubber bump strips in place down the hull, I think I mentioned previously that I used a drive belt to get the correct trapezoid shape.

Once the tunnels were in I turned to the Kort nozzles, again I made these using pvc drainage tubing, then I wrapped that in several layers of grp cloth to increase the diameter. Once it was dry I then sanded the grp back to give the correct conical profile, I did the same to the inside of the tubing as well. These are actually 20mm smaller than on my anchor handler even though its around 10 inches longer and broader in width. But then the real sized ship is only a supply vessel with limited towing ability so it wouldn't have near as much power as the anchor handler.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2016, 10:36:42 am »

I then made up a jig to hold the propshafts in place until they were grp'd into the hull. Once they were done the same jigs were used to hold the Korts in place while they were secured into place as well.

So next up and not ready for this update are the rudder assembly's. I am attempting to make working Becker rudders, if they work they will be on, if not I will go for a standard fixed blade with the appearance of a Becker, that is all for the next update

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2016, 10:13:42 pm »

Well its been so long without an update I bet you all thought I'd given up!

No chance! you're committed to this build now and even if you had to put it aside for a year, your determination (and skills) would ensure you see it through to completion. O0

....oh, and thanks for the update Brian. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2016, 11:02:44 pm »

Any update is a good update.  :-))

Kim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2016, 11:31:56 pm »

Hi Brian,
What size props  / what size becker rudders are you hoping to use?
Regards,
Kim

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2016, 06:55:48 am »

I'm glad you all stuck around for the update :D

Hi Brian,
What size props  / what size becker rudders are you hoping to use?
Regards,
Kim

Kim this has 50mm props (the anchor handler in my byline has 60mm) The beckers are slightly larger at 55mm by 35mm these measurements taken from the yard plan.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2016, 07:25:33 am »

The whole ship will be illuminated eventually, I just have to work out how to make about 60 flouoroscent tubes 12mm by 4mm  :}

Brian - any use?

Perhaps LED and opaque plastic tube?

http://rchub.co.uk/led-flickering-fluorescent-tube-simulation/

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2016, 05:20:38 pm »

so what effect would a white led encased in a black out box at the end of a piece of acrylic clear rod be like, with a piece of foil at the other end to reflect the light back along the rod, similar effect to a fibre optic ?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2016, 06:36:19 pm »

Brian - any use?

Perhaps LED and opaque plastic tube?

http://rchub.co.uk/led-flickering-fluorescent-tube-simulation/

C-3PO

so what effect would a white led encased in a black out box at the end of a piece of acrylic clear rod be like, with a piece of foil at the other end to reflect the light back along the rod, similar effect to a fibre optic ?

I reckon I have it sorted. I have some 2mm fibreoptic that spills its light along its length (edge lit) rather than from the end. Then I have some .5mm fibre optic that shine light from its end. I am going to cut the thicker one in 12mm lengths and at the centre bore a shallow hole then bond the thinner fibre into it. the thin one can be fed to wherever the light source will be. Hopefully it will form a fluorescent strip of sorts.

The flickering effect I have a special unit for this that does fluoro's, sodium, mercury vapour and ordinary light bulb simulation.  In fact the electronics for this build without rc gear, servo's, motors etc must be bordering on £400  :o

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2016, 07:38:50 pm »

there was a guy from Australia selling on ebay . 3D printed becker rudders. I got pair and was impressed .

john

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2017, 01:33:42 pm »

OK I have the Becker rudders made. The illustration shows how I got them to operate, in the real world these are hydraulically operated through a complicated linkage system - I simplified it for the model. I'd like to say I arrived at the pivot point through some magical geometric math equation but no. As the photo's show, I drilled holes in a piece of ply 2mm apart from the rudder post, then by moving the wire shown in the drawing between the holes I determined the right one to use. 10mm seemed to be the optimum, I don't honestly think it will have any real effect in helping to steer the model but it looks ok.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2017, 01:39:02 pm »

The rudders and flaps were cut in 2mm acrylic on my laser cutter, 2 of 3each made up a single rudder, this allowed the sandwiching of the rudder shaft and the pivot shaft between the sections and then bonding together.  The brass tube had a flap soldered into to give extra leverage to the acrylic rather than just relying on the epoxy bonding the shaft. Using brass tube  also allows a couple of small holes to be drilled at the top end so that oil can be squirted down it and it will lubricate between the shaft and the sleeve into the hull

Also you may notice some cracks in the acrylic, apparently it doesn't like being cleaned and degreased with alcohol, dunno why, but as they were all on the inside and didn't penetrate the full thickness, I used them.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2017, 01:44:28 pm »

So a photo of them in place and you may notice that the first primer is on the hull - bet you never thought it would happen {-) there are a few pinholes in the gel coat in places that need filling, they didn't show up until the primer was on, so they will get done this week and then final primer before main coat.

I also cast some anodes to place in places along the hull, you can see them on the kort nozzles and rudders. I haven't gone overboard with them as the real ship also has some sort of electrical apparatus that runs to plates in the hull rather than having zinc anodes all over.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2017, 01:53:34 pm »

As I am having to build this on the fly - as usual for my builds, nothing is ever simple, the deck has to go on before I can paint all the way up at the stern, the sides between forward upperworks and the stern deck - the walkways have to be bonded in for the same reason, But I can't attach these until I have other stuff completed internally.

So I have been cutting stuff this week that can't go in for a month or two but at least I know it all fits as and when needed. So the stern deck planking was done, the bare patches will be covered with 10 thou plasticard to simulate the steel decking and winch pads.

Also those side walkways as they had such a crisp edge rather than making them up in thin ply and not having rigidity I jused some L shape aluminium extrusion. This had the safety spaces cut for crew to escape through in the event of anything dangerous happening on the work deck. They will also be pre drilled for rail stanchions and lighting before bonding into place. Lastly as the laser was up and running for the decking I also cut a servo mount for the two rudder servo's. So that's all for now.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2017, 02:18:24 pm »

Progressing well Brian. Your becker rudders got me thinking so went and had a look at their website. It's quite in-depth and gives some interesting facts & figures with regard to coefficients of the various shapes of blades.

www.becker-marine-systems.com/03_products/products_hercales.html

I like the look of your servo mounting as well by the way - looks nice and sturdy. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2017, 03:44:36 pm »

Cheers Ray, yes their website is quite comprehensive isn't it. When I was looking for details it was my first port of call, getting an insight into how the things worked - then having a go at re-engineering for model use.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2017, 06:51:56 pm »

Cracking work on the drive train, and the hull looks great Brian.

Pond weed is your enemy

desktoprover

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2017, 03:08:01 pm »

I just discovered your build, I'll be following.  That hull is impressive!  Nice work on the rudders, those are quite complex.  If you don't mind me asking, what laser cutter are you using?

Thanks.....Sylvain

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2017, 04:06:56 pm »

Hi Sylvain. I use a K40 laser. Its a desktop sized unit that has a 40watt tube (allegedly) Cutting area is around A4 paper size but you can with a little ingenuity cut or mark a bigger area that that!

Over your side in the USA these units sell for around $7 - 800

desktoprover

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2017, 11:45:24 pm »

Hi Sylvain. I use a K40 laser. Its a desktop sized unit that has a 40watt tube (allegedly) Cutting area is around A4 paper size but you can with a little ingenuity cut or mark a bigger area that that!

Over your side in the USA these units sell for around $7 - 800

Ok, thanks for the information Brian.  It's very appreciated  :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2017, 01:39:30 pm »

Sound of trumpet fanfare...................

Very quick update, the hull is now fully primered, red oxide below waterline is final. The white primer needs the final mid blue colour adding, but I can't do that until the bow deck, stern deck and side walkways are bonded in. Inevitably there will be some filler required between the deck edges and the grp hull, so until that is completed the final top coat is a waste of time.

Plenty to be getting on with on the inside, but all that will be in the next update.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2017, 09:25:32 pm »

What a difference a lick of paint makes - she's already looking the part Brian, so well done to date. :-))

Regards,

Ray.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.