Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel  (Read 69385 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2017, 10:43:19 am »

A daughterboat view of the stern hangar to show the flood lighting inside, the doors for this should be operational for the next update so more video :-))

Talking of doors, the starboard hangar where the boom is, this door has caused me problems. I used a servo same as the boom to turn the shaft to open and close it. Trouble was the door would only open about an inch, even using the full 180 degree swing with arduino control. I built a gearbox 2:1 ratio, it still only opened half way >:-o So I built another gearbox 4:1 ratio, now it opens 3/4's of the way which is about correct, first photo, now its all worky worky I finally fixed in this piece of deck which had the boom and this gearbox attached to it. Almost to the painted hull stage :embarrassed: So having this now working a video of which in the next update also, the door and boom will work in tandem.

I got to partially finishing the stern raised deck, stained the woodwork, put on some weathering from wet ropes to the tugger winches etc, this will be bonded in this week allowing me to make good any gaps between the deck and the hull edging before final touch up paint.

While at this end I designed the tugger winches in Coreldraw and then exported the file to my laser cutter and cut out the shapes for the winches, next few of them before and after assembly, there is an old crew figure for scale.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2017, 10:55:01 am »

I have also lasered the main deck this week, done in two pieces to get it into the laser. I cut the lines into the ply for the planks and hatch covers etc. Now I could have turned the laser on to engraving mode for the hatch covers and the steel dividers, but engraving is so slow comparatively.

So the way I did it was once the laser cuts were done, I used a 6mm wood chisel to gently chase them out, the before and afters can be seen in the photo's The inlays were also cut in .25mm plasticard so I can get a smooth steel like finish for the paint.

Once the lining was cut on the laser, I ran a piece of low tack painting mask down the centre of the decking. Put it back in the laser and cut out the numbers. I then peeled the numbers away leaving a neat stencil for me to spray the yellow paint on.

Finally a couple shots of the deck floodlights and the access ways as well, these will be done again when it is darker and some more paint on. That it for another couple of weeks, time of year when family come over for the village fiestas and then I have a trip back to the UK to make - woohoo make sure to pick up plenty of consummables {-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2017, 08:25:55 pm »

The movement of the boom was not too noisey. Maybe the microphone did not pick it up well, but it was not a horrofic sound, and if operating it a few feet out in the lake, I expect it will be much quieter.

I think we all find that once we get into the details and painting the time just scoots by. The hull is often the quick bit because it is a large and solid item where as there could be two thousand items of detail on a large vessel including bloomin boats!

I look forward to your video of the doors opening.
Pond weed is your enemy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2017, 10:15:24 pm »

The movement of the boom was not too noisey.

I'm with Ian on this one - I think a little noise actually adds to the overall effect.
Talking of effects, your oily paint job looks great. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2017, 12:11:42 am »

Brian...I am with Ian & Ray here......when the hull is in the water, the drive sound for the boom slew will be minimised...& hey, in the real vessel the boom slewing function would have been driven over hydraulic counterbalance valves so there would be a continuous high pitched wine during slew movement in both directions

In the alternate video, after the stern housed jet boat returned, they lowered & hoisted a [stdb side?] smaller boat.....when it was re hoisted back onboard I did not see any form of cradle for this smaller craft to rest in?????

This video also confirmed the great amass of  hydraulic systems, and despite epoxy paint systems, these will not look so clean & tidy after a year at sea.......[that is especially after the engineers onboard crack unions & flanges <*< to attempt to diagnose system faults :embarrassed:]

Derek 

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2017, 05:24:16 pm »

Sorry I'm a bit late with the reply Derek. I have around 30 photo's kindly supplied by one of the ships officers and I think you'll find this interesting, there is no cradle it is hanging from the extendible boom once it is in the 'parked' position. This is the starboard side looking toward the stern. The one you viewed in the video is on the port side but the same system.....

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2017, 05:45:36 pm »

This diagram from the manufacturer explains the boom system better than I could describe.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2017, 06:02:42 pm »

The door action makes much more sense after viewing the video.

http://www.aukramaritime.no/en-gb/davits.aspx

:-)

Are you planning on making the davit operational also?  :o

8)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2017, 06:32:20 pm »

The door action makes much more sense after viewing the video.

http://www.aukramaritime.no/en-gb/davits.aspx

:-)

Are you planning on making the davit operational also?  :o

8)

I am Umi. The stern doors and the stern starboard door will be operational. I'm hoping to have the port forward door work and lower the rescue boat - not release it, just lower and raise, but we will have to see.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2017, 04:27:25 pm »

I seem to have overlooked posting these photo's from last month - or maybe I was keeping them for the next update, I've forgotten, maybe its half zeimers (that's not quite alzeimers %% )setting in, I don't know.

Anyway I can't start on the port side forward opening hangar door until part of the winch house is installed as it is all one deck level. So I cracked on and finished the lights, which is what these photo's show.

I cut some acrylic sheet into 12mm long by 2mm deep and 2mm wide pieces. Into one of the 2mm sides I etched a hollow 1mm deep. Into these went some 1 x 2 mm surface mount led's. I have after many attempts worked out a way to hold these while I solder on some enamelled copper wire as the feeds to them. The finished article will resemble 1metre strip lights when finished and lit up. The winch house is illuminated with from what I see on the photos, about 6 of these, so is the underneath of the winch house which is a sheltered area of the work deck. So I have them all made up and now they are in situ, yet not wired into the switching unit for them as yet. Maybe next update I can show them working, for now I will be carrying on with making the mechanism to open that hangar door and raise/lower the fast rescue craft - I happened across some 100mm drawer runners which run on bearings this last week -  I didn't know they made them so small. A little work and I should be able to shorten them to 80mm and then its a case of building the hoist onto them and working out a motor system. The winch house is shown in place but not yet bonded in. I also made up on of the hiab style cranes that locates on the stern starboard side. again its not attached as it still needs paint in this area and more finishing of the jib - paint, decals and cable.

thats all for now folks...

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2017, 09:13:56 pm »

Your ability to represent lighting, on a ship, was very much in evidence on your "POSH VENTURE" build so, hopefully, all will go well this time around as well - looking good Brian. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2017, 09:44:35 pm »

Drawer runners for hoists, genius!  8)
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2017, 08:37:06 am »

Your ability to represent lighting, on a ship, was very much in evidence on your "POSH VENTURE" build so, hopefully, all will go well this time around as well - looking good Brian. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

Thanks Ray, this is something new I'm trying for lights, hopefully it works out - they look like strip lights once turned on otherwise a waste of time!

Drawer runners for hoists, genius!  8)

It had to be something like this Ian. if you check post 106, you will see the whole mechanism slides outwards but is hung from the roof (deck head) of the hangar, so necessitating something that could slide in and out. I could have made a runner in brass or plasticard, but the drawer runner has ballbearings! making it smoother to operatev-no jamming  :-)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2017, 03:54:56 pm »

Another short update. The main deck needed finishing with a sealer around the perimeter, I bought some 25 x 20mm timber and routered a 5mm groove into its edge, then simply mitred the ends and glued it to the underside of the one piece deck. The groove was filled with  a length of rubber sealing strip for double glazed windows that I found while browsing my diy shop.

The postie came! I now possess the drive gears for my main drives. As ever nothing is simple in life, the smaller motor ones are blank so I can drill those out to the 5mm shafts on the motors. The larger ones for the prop shafts however are drilled through 8mm, my shafts are 4mm - problem :} So I need to make up a couple of sleeves for those. But it doesn't stop there, even though the gears are aluminium they are quite weighty and I reckon that spinning at 4000rpm it is going to put a lot of strain on the shafts, so I am in the process of building an outrigger plate for the shafts.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2017, 04:02:21 pm »

But this is what I have been working on lately. It is the port side fast rescue craft launcher/davit. It is suspended from a runner which will eventually be suspended inside the hull. The basics are made up from plasticard cut to shape following the drawing several posts above and a couple of photo's I have. I made the large motor as you can see with a piece of dowel and then short lengths of copper wire cyano'd to the outside. Gluing some plasticard on it, the result is a good facsimile of an electric motor. I have had to stray away from a complete copy as it would be just too fragile, so I have got close and as it stands its about 70% finished and almost ready for primer.

On the next post I hope to show the operation of the unit sliding in/out. It would have been here but my first idea/attempt did not work out, so a rethink on the operation linkage is necessary.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2017, 07:39:10 pm »

Golly, I would have sold you some motors....   O0

Of course the postage would have killed you. <:(

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2017, 10:14:59 pm »

Brilliant detailing on your launch system Brian, and those motors look good Umi  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2017, 11:46:30 am »

Golly, I would have sold you some motors....   O0

Of course the postage would have killed you. <:(

Thanks for the offer Umi, I can actually buy them here from Shapeways courtesy of some German and Dutch modellers :-)) But for this which will not really be on view once in situ it really wasn't worth the 6€ plus mailing charge :embarrassed: You have some nice 3d modelling in those and I'm wondering whether to knuckle down and do the same with my crane boom that can be seen back in the last photo of post 111 I made it up in plasticard but like everything made from this stuff is fairly fragile - I wouldn't want to accidentally knock it about!

Hello Brian
dont know if you have seen this on Ebay.de

John
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schottelantrieb-Gondel-Twin-f%C3%BCr-Graupner-Azipod-Seabex-One-Thyssen-2/162601940401?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

These are available from one of the German websites that I frequent John, but at the moment they don't suit my current build which is props in fixed korts.

Brilliant detailing on your launch system Brian, and those motors look good Umi  :-))

I hope it looks the part once it is primered and has a cohesive look to it Ian. As I said still some to add to it and file off the rough end on the slide mechanism..

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2017, 02:25:51 pm »

Well certainly not disappointed Brian, this is another lovely build

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2017, 07:36:21 am »

A bit more of an update for you. First of all the FRC (fast rescue craft) launcher and davit in the last photo's lives behind this hangar door, shown partially lifted.

It gave me a few headaches on how to move the launcher in and out - the system I devised had to be scrapped as it impinged on the part of the winch house that can be seen from outside. I eventually went for a lever operating system that has its pivot forward of the hangar, I just need a strong enough servo to push/pull it now, so recommendations for a servo with lots of torque?

As I am working I am having to install paintwork and lights as I go to unreachable places. These photo's show some of the strip (  Fluorescent lights) that I have made. There are also 3mm leds in there connected to fibre optic strands so that warning lights work on control panels.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2017, 07:38:53 am »

This is the frc hangar with its lighting, see the panels in the background? Also look closely at the davit, I have put a couple of fibre optics into the operating panel on that as well, two tiny green lights.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2017, 07:46:06 am »

Now all these lights needed ballasting with resistors (surface mount led;s for the strip lights) I made up this panel of 16 resistors, but this increased to 26 with a second board and also two smaller ones that carry two 3mm leds for the fibre optics. I don't expect this area to generate much heat - resistors dissipate heat, its how they work. But once the lighting for this area is finished, I am installing a small 50mm fan to keep air circulating over them. So just this section lit up has 26 smleds, and 15 fibre optic strands.

Now I was going to make this area nice and tidy with cable ties and hold backs etc, but at the end of the day hot glue worked the best to secure the fine wiring I had used. The main thing was to keep it bunched together so it cannot be fouled by hand reaching inside at a later date.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2017, 07:54:24 am »

Remember how time and time again in this build I have said you have to think ahead?

Here is a case in point. Now all the stuff for lighting and the frc launcher is now in, the deck above can be secured down. However, on its rear edge are mounted a couple of flood lights. Once finished and in place it would be impossible to run the wiring for these, so they had to be located, wired up and masked off before the deck could be fastened down.

This is the deck with some painting going on - again the yellow walkway would be inaccesible once in place and the next section attached - it can be seen but not reached easily, so put the main paint on and hope I can reach any touchup that needs doing afterwards. The two lights can be seen with masking tape wrapped on them.

The flood lights are clear cast resin with an led embedded during the pour of the liquid. As a mould I cut a shape of the floodlight in a piece of square dowel, then simply pressed it into plasticine. the resulting shaped holes were then filled with the clearcast resin. I have shown this on the POSH venture build documented elsewhere.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2017, 08:00:07 am »

Last up for now is this little crane boom. I made this one in plasticard but I'm not happy with it, there are two one on the starboard stern corner and one on the port side of the deck shown above. But plasticard feels too fragile for them, so I am delving into sketchup with a view to making a 3d drawing and having them made by shapeways. My thinking is that if it goes well, I have another larger boom to go on this deck at starboard side and also the fast rescue craft to be made, all of which would be better in a solid cast material. Failining that I may make wooden shapes and then cast them in resin, we shall see.

So thats it for now, I am still getting closer to the point at which a final sanding over and spraying of the external paint can take place! ext time I'll exlain about the next level decks which can be seen as started on the green deck section.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 23 queries.