Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel  (Read 69369 times)

hama

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2017, 03:41:27 pm »

Wow!! Those lights on the controls make it look so realistic! I'm amazed!
Hama

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2017, 08:59:25 am »

Thanks Hama, you'll be amazed at the lighting that I hope to show in the update after this one!

OK another short update as I am struggling to pick up much needed stock. I'm back in the UK in a fortnight and have a suitcase full of stuff to collect at my sons!

Let's begin, the first photo, D deck is now bonded into place so that I can get on with C deck. This caused yet another day of cursing and cussing. The hangar door that is open on the port side, I had that closed to and then bonded on the green deck. Next day deck firmly in place and so was the hangar door! <:( The epoxy had seeped out of the edge of the deck and set in the hinge mechanism >>:-( I spent an afternoon with metal picks and a fine tip on my dremel all to no avail. I eventually had to snap the hinge mechanism, grind it all out of the hull and remake it. It did have a result though as I had not added the detailing to the inside of the door, so it made that job easier doing it on the bench rather than in situ.

This photo also shows the beginnings of C deck level, notice in the upper hull there are two ' elongated windows' one port and one a little lower starboard.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2017, 09:05:50 am »

These are internal walkways, it seems the decks are on split levels within the ship but my plans don't show them in detail. However I made the walkways as sub assemblies.

First photo is starboard side and the second with it held up to the opening, the next is the port side, with a large air vent.  these are now totally finished and put to one side, I won't bond them into place until the hull paint is finished to avoid overspray. Yes hull paint! this WILL be done for the next installment, I am now at a point where it won't impact any of the remaining build. The next photo is of both walkways together and complete, except for a companionway that runs up to the next deck level where my thumb is.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2017, 09:09:53 am »

The companionways, I have 10 of these in total, fortunately raking through my spares box I found some lengths of plastic stair of the correct size so they got recycled for this project. I made up the handrails in brass wire and soldered the joints. Last time I'm doing this as I have found superglue is quite sufficient and gives a neater finish as there is less of it :} Soldering will still be done on railings where it my get some rough treatment from accidental knocks etc. So one stairway finished and it shown in place in the green deck.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2017, 09:18:47 am »

Last ones for now and its lighting again! C deck level and those two walkways require another 20 fluoroscent lights, so thats another 20 leds to fabricate, 20 resistors and associated wiring. The photo shows the panel for this made up on the bench and hot glued into place in the hull. They are not connected yet as the leds yes you guessed, they are in the UK waiting for me to collect {:-{

Anyway I'm sure I've mentioned, all of this lighting along with other functions is to be controlled by Arduino, so if you look at the port side walkway, the window to the left is now a sealed 'cabin' on the inside with its own led, this has been programmed via the arduino to flicker as though a crewman was watching a tv in his cabin, this is not an unusual occurence as tv's are fitted to each cabin via a shipwide distribution system.

I feel I'm into the final stretch now, the aft wall of the superstruture is ready to be bonded in, here it is replete with its owners name. However if it is firmly attached now, I have only room to get one arm down inside the top opening hmmmm, no problem if it was finished but guess what I haven't installed yet? yes the two bow thrusters! So a little of that in the next update as well.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2017, 12:13:46 pm »

Very nice! Spaghetti comes to mind when looking at your wires  :}
Your wires look kinda thick, is this by design or didn't you want/have anything thinner?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2017, 04:22:53 pm »

The wires look thick but they aren't, it is actually  cat 6 telephone wire, I buy  10 metre's of multistrand cable and strip off the outer sheath. The twisted pairs of wire are just 0.5mm diameter. It doesn't come much thinner than that without meltback of the plastic shrouding, even so it happens, that is why the bottom of each has a sleeve of red heatshrink tube over it. These 'tails' connect to single filament copper wire that feed the led's, the single filament wire is sold for winding power transformers and is as thin as human hair. The leds are only 2mm by 1mm in size, they are meant for surface mounting on pcb's so anything more than the copper wire is too thick, I can't connect this direct to the circuit board as it is too delicate, so that is why the transition to the telephone wire before connecting up to the resistors. It is also the reason why I embed these copper wires in hot glue, it offers protection against accidental damage by adding thickness to them.

Oh I should add that they will of course look a lot neater than this once gathered together after soldering, I have plenty of nylon overbraid to cover all my wiring with, but for now I have to endure the rats nest :-))

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2017, 06:36:21 pm »

Brilliant!  :-))
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2017, 08:55:50 pm »

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2017, 08:24:27 pm »

There is some astounding detail building up on your model Brian. I love those FRC positions with their exquisite control boxes and mechanisms  8)

It always surprises me how small things are once you take into account the magnification of the image.

Top Job sir  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2017, 04:10:06 pm »

This really is a very inspiring build!
Great looking details!

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: December 17, 2017, 08:48:19 pm »

I think Dom had it in the bowl first..... O0 ...........................
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2017, 08:30:21 am »

I wasn't planning an update just yet, but lets get rid of some photo's that I have stored. %%

As we are on lighting, lets continue. I finally got hold of some more smled's so I could make up more 3ft fluoroscent lights - in actual fact just 10mm long. This is where you don't always know what you will receive when ordering from China! 0406 is what I ordered, knowing this to be the size I had bought last time. But to be safe I also ordered some 0608 size as well. The photo shows what I received, with the tiniest being supplied in person from an electronics shop in the UK. All of these came designated as 0406 - so work that one out!

The tiniest (from UK supplier) will be consigned to a drawer and forgotten about, the store owner laughed at me when he handed them over and I said I was soldering by hand. Even using magnifying glasses and also a magnifying headset I cannot see the terminals.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2017, 08:35:13 am »

Anyway another 12 lights made and so far this is the result, although difficult to see there are 34 fluoro lights on show here. This part of the ship is now finished with lighting. I am back to doing mechanicals as I have new stock to build with. What I did notice was that even though these things are tiny and are embedded in acrylic (for the strip light effect) they are so bright that they can actually be seen shining through 4mm of grp hull side! Good job it still needs paint on {-) The wall with mokster on it is not bonded in yet as I need access to the inside of the hull at this point, its just resting in place to see the overall effect of the lights.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2017, 08:39:39 am »

While I was waiting to make the trip to the UK to collect my stock I began making up the cargo rails for the stern. Brass tube bent to shape and then painted, it will be epoxied in place once the final paint is on the hull, so far I have flat surfaces to turn it upside down, while spraying, I don't want to damage these add on parts doing so. Theres a crew figure included here to give a sense of scale, each of the stanchions cut and drilled to size from a sheet of brass.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2017, 08:41:04 am »

And this is where these sections will be located eventually...

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2017, 08:45:18 am »

OK whats next?....  yep bow doors for crew to moor the ship. I decided early on that these would open close - another bad decision of major problem solving %% Anyway here is one of the doors easy to make, what is not easy are the hinges, make them small enough to be unobtrusive on the outside of the hull yet still function. I cut and folded brass sheet around a dress makers pin to make this up, it just need adding to the hull and then a servo and linkage to open and close it.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2017, 08:52:25 am »

Finally lets rewind quite a few months. I laid out the parts for the tunnel thrusters, it looked simple, but it has taken me a lonnnng time to sort them out. The stern thrusters had so little clearance I resorted to actually mounting the props direct to the outrunner motors and mounted these directly in the tunnels - trusting to the fact that these motors are waterproof -ish and will operated underwater (there are youtube videos showing this happen) I'm not clear on how well the sealed bearings will hold up but hey.......

Anyway I finally got around to actually making the bow thrusters this last week and they work, I've had them mounted in a an electric drill to make sure. They just need a final plate soldering on across the bearings to seal them, but I want to put some silicone grease inside first, I can't buy this until later in this week. So what you see here are the two units waiting for final installation. Get that done and I can most definitely move on to final hull colour sometime in january.

Well thats all for now, every one have a jolly exciting xmas holiday, and I'll work on a new update very soon.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2017, 06:07:31 pm »

Bow mooring doors... wait how many channels is this model going to need?  :o

What radio are you using to run all the features?
Or is an Arduino or raspberry pi being worked into the mix, did I miss that?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2017, 06:40:49 pm »

Bow mooring doors... wait how many channels is this model going to need?  :o

What radio are you using to run all the features?
Or is an Arduino or raspberry pi being worked into the mix, did I miss that?

Yes you missed it Aimee. Currently I have an arduino mega lined up, but I'm exploring the possibility of a nano or standalone pwm board connected to the arduino just to run the lighting, leaving the pwm channels on the arduino for the other functions the ship will have. 

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2018, 06:53:19 pm »

This build is nothing but a complete pain in the head. Suffice to say I am seriously considering binning it all and moving on. The latest setback? Well prepping for paint, I connected up the two stern door motors and both are seized in the open position, no idea why, they were working back in November when I last had to move them, but both linear stepper motors just refuse to budge. As they are sealed in by that big stern deck shown in post 140, I am trying to reach them through a space the size of a postage stamp at the end of a tunnel - gynaecology would be a cakewalk {-) I just might have to cut out that deck for access and redo it, this is on top of a whole weeks work of getting the bow doors working only to find out I don't have room for the operating mechanism!

I have to have a serious think about this now. There may or may not be further updates, I'd say if we get to the end of the month without one, you can guess the outcome!

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2018, 07:01:33 pm »

Never give up Brian, problems are there to be solved and make us better than before.

I would guess the doors or guides have expanded. I would try and lever them whilst applying power.

Fingers crossed for you, would hate to see all your hard work go down the pan.

Stewart
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2018, 07:53:57 pm »

I wish we could help you Brian. Fingers crossed you can sort it all out.
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2018, 12:37:28 pm »

Well no further photo's at the moment, just a quick update.

I decided to carry on as I had so many hours involved. The stern doors - the big problem, now solved.

I had to completely destroy and rip out the stern decking and the starboard hangar (the one with the boom in )  to reach the stepper motors. The back end of the ship is at the moment a complete mess and needs some major work to put right. I have to remake the deck and all the support structure, remake the hangar deck and remount all the oil boom and its operating mechanism. I'll get on with that this week.

Couple of bonuses to this, I wasn't really happy with the hangar deck, I found out on the real craft it is a metal grid to allow oil spill to drain through to a catch tray and tank underneath, so I can rectify that. I had made a mistake on the main deck, not noticible unless you were familiar with the real ship so I can correct that as well.

OK so what was the problem with the stepper motors?? Two things, first when I glued down the main deck, some drips of pva glue had dropped onto the screw shaft. When they had dried it was impossible for the travelling carrier on the screw shaft to move along it, so the motors were just jittering. Secondly the motors were small so although they worked well on the work bench, they really suffered from a lack of torque when having a plastic door hung off the end of them - good job I changed out the brass doors for plastic!

So the ongoing problem to solve this week so I can reassemble everything. The door mechanisms. Instead of having nice controllable steppers, I'm thinking of using a couple of servo's with an extended arm, not too sure yet, it could be that the arm will need a centre pivot, with the door at one end and a servo at the other. Bench top trials to commence tomorrow. So after a couple of weeks of ignoring the problem and doing other stuff on the build, I will complete this part and do a full photo update next weekend hopefully.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2018, 01:54:14 pm »

Nice one Brian I'm glad that you have carried on as this is a cracking build - looking forward to your photos  :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.