Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel  (Read 69406 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel
« Reply #200 on: April 12, 2018, 01:29:40 pm »

Photo heavy update :}

During the destruction that happened to the stern deck, I managed to also damage one of the fire monitor covers. So decided to remake them. This is my version of vac forming!

First photo shows a plug made to the shape of the cover I need, then a slightly larger hole in a piece of ply. A piece of plasticard of suitable thickness, this was 0.75mm over the hole and held in place with some masking tape. Gently play a flame over the plastic (blowlamp on low) then quickly press the plug into the plastic, pushing it into the hole. Two new monitor covers made and ready to glue in place.

The next photo shows them attached and repainted....

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2018, 01:40:47 pm »

Next up more stanchions to be made. Another simple jig, self explanatory, a back rail to run the material against, in this case strips of 3mm x 0.3mm brass sheet. This is clamped to the drill press and the press lowered so that the drill bit touches the jig, then mark of 4mm from this along the fence, raise the press and then push a dressmakers pin into the mark.

As can be seen, the brass is then pushed against the pin and a hole drilled, the brass is raised and the hole is dropped over the pin, next hole is drilled etc etc. Each hole is always 4mm from the next hole ensuring evenness. Once a strip is done the stanchions are cut to length and then filed to finish, eventually they will be filed down to 1.5mm thickness and 15mm length.

By the way the drill bit that can be see, forget mini drills that can be bought they go blunt quickly and tend to flex way too much. I use pcb drills for anything under a mm, in this case the drill was 0.75mm. The only drawback with them is that they can be too stiff and do not like any flex whatsover or they snap!

So far I have made 170 stanchions with another 240 to go for around the hotel section (superstructure - but called a hotel by offshore workers) The second photo shows the stanchions in place on the stern. I prefer brass and brass wire so they can be soldered together, once bonded into the deck they can take a fair amount of abuse without suffering too much irreparable damage.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2018, 01:46:03 pm »

OK were on a roll, I have two large bitts to make, so cut those from brass tube and some plate, one each goes port and starboard half way along the hull. Assembled they were soldered together and then using a couple of brass pins with the head removed, they were epoxied to the side walkways.

By the way, to illustrate some of these points, the photos are out of sequence if anyone was wondering.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2018, 01:51:04 pm »

Because the stern is almost finished (I'll come back to it in a moment) I began on the side cargo rails, The stanchions for these were made from plastruct I beam because I couldn't source any brass to the same dimensions. Same process as the brass stanchions using a jig to drill the holes in the plastic. I did make one concession here, instead of having 4 rails they only have 3. Due to the thickness of the rails, I thought they would look too crowded with 4.

Also included here is the companionway down from the stern deck to the starboard walkway.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2018, 01:57:35 pm »

Back to the stern deck. I remade the two tugger winches as I was never really happy with the originals. I must source some small handwheels! I made the two brake wheels on these, they are 4mm diameter and were a nightmare to add the 4 spokes into the centres.

I also made the large hawse port, the small one and the set of roller fairleads on the stern, the fairleads are brass tube, the large hawseport was carved from balsa and then sealed and smoothed, the small one was made in a similar fashion to the fire monitor covers, being pressed into hot plastic with  a suitable plug.

The last two photos show the finished pristine stern deck, ready to start adding details to...coming right up!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: April 12, 2018, 02:07:15 pm »

First up for detailing a fire hose box and stand pipe, shown here attached to the railing on the starboard side. Simply just a square of plasticard laminated to give 3mm thickness and the standpipe bent from 2mm rod and then painted. The marking on the box shows a coiled hose and nozzle, copied from a photo.

Next up more fabricating of parts. My take on life rings, made from two  5mm washers epoxied together which just about give the right size for this scale. Epoxied together rather than superglued because the epoxy  will squeeze out the edges and fill any voids in the washer faces. As they are punched out of sheet, washers are never flat but have a slight dish to them. Just get the dished shape and the hollow on the internal faces.

The holder was made up from 0.25mm brass wire and very lightly soldered into the T shape, then bent around the washers and superglued to them. All was then painted white before the washers were overcoated in red. Two can so far be seen on the railings.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: April 12, 2018, 02:15:45 pm »

Almost done now.

First is the overall view of the stern deck almost finished. On the left side of the wood deck part way up is a small black bitt, No idea why its black and not grey as per all the other fittings, but as I am following photos of the full size ship, it is black just the same.

On the port side I have another life ring, 3 goosneck vents (not shown here) and these two grey cabinets. I again have no idea what they contain, the photo's I have are really not clear about them.

The last two photos show the port side down companionway, this is an internal stair rather than the external one as on the starboard side.  Just one or two more small details to add now and the stern is finished. This week I'll be finishing the rails on the starboard side before commencing the port side. Then its on to exciting stuff and the beginning of the superstructure - sorry should have said hotel section %) :}

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: April 12, 2018, 02:21:19 pm »

Ooops, forgot to include this jig photo in post 201.....

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #208 on: April 12, 2018, 10:06:55 pm »

You recovered that and then some Brian! Lovely work.
Pond weed is your enemy

RST

« Reply #209 on: April 12, 2018, 11:32:03 pm »

Loving the handrail work.  Particularly the lifebelt holders, I can't seem to get them that neat.  Very envious!

Rich

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2018, 03:40:49 pm »

Bit of an update as I've jumped forward a bit waiting for parts to come.

First up is a photo of the control board just for the lighting system - this is now in the junk pile! I was never happy making this up on strip board, I have the copper clad board for making a true circuit board but cannot get the ferric chloride to do the etching over here. I have found a place online that will make boards to yor own design if you provide the patterning. So I have been working overtime with Fritzing design program to get what I need as a file to send off to them. So my new design instead of just incorporating the lighting, will also have onboard Nano boards for the other working operations as well, that means possibly 4 arduino nanos talking to each other via the I2C protocol and using a signal from the r/c reciever. -- We'll see  %%

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: May 08, 2018, 03:45:11 pm »

Next up I needed 6 liferaft pods, outlets were asking silly money for what is basically a lump of plastic tube. So I made just the one and have begun to cast them in resin. Made with a piece of dowel and the banding made with plastic offcuts.

I began making the superstructure and have been at this for weeks now. It is a nightmare of compound mitres and opposing compound mitres. I made it up in card to make sure I had the mitre angles correct, then I cut it in plywood, again with many adjustments. Then when this was correct, clad the outside and inside of the ply with plasticard to get the smooth steel finish. The photos show the lower part of the superstructure walls, windows still to be cut and added.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: May 08, 2018, 03:48:14 pm »

These next show the beginnings of the forward control desk. Its also shown in primer to see where it needs trimming and more sanding for a smooth finish, also the base of the bridge with the laminate flooring represented. The desk has 6 cutouts for desk monitors, these are backlit with optical fibre so the screens which are filled with waterclear resin light up.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2018, 03:51:37 pm »

Next up is the starboard side chart table and computer desk, showing a couple monitors, radio equipment and printers and telephones, with under desk chart drawers. Nothing much to be said about this, made up from various plasticard. All of this may or may not be visible when the bridge roof is in place, I'm hedging my bets as the windows in the bridge are quite large.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2018, 04:02:59 pm »

So the last up is the aft conning desks for control of the ship when the workdeck is in use. This time the desk monitors were seperate units and not built in which presented new problems. I made them up from plastic H beam, sanded down two of the legs to form a U shape and then blocked off the ends to form shallow boxes. Mounted these on pillars and glued to the desks. I couldn't feed these with optical fibre so went with surface mount ultra small leds.

But being leds these were superbright, so instead of the normal 220 ohm ballasting resistor, I upped it to a 1k and still too bright. I eventually settled on 4K7 resistors and this was fine. In fact it introduced a little flicker to the leds which is no bad thing because the screens flicker like the real thing might when viewed at a distance. You can see the size of the leds there is one to the right on the ruler, just above the '7' try soldering wires to those! I managed by using a magnifying head set complete with 3 lenses giving me 30 times magnification.

The last photo is a crewman at 1:72 (24mm) holding a led in his hand, hmmmmm! %) No, just no! I am not going to have him hold a torch :}

So that is it for now, next update I should be back on track and finishing off the hull and putting the superstructure to one side again.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2018, 04:16:45 pm »

Bit of an update as I've jumped forward a bit waiting for parts to come.

First up is a photo of the control board just for the lighting system - this is now in the junk pile! I was never happy making this up on strip board, I have the copper clad board for making a true circuit board but cannot get the ferric chloride to do the etching over here. I have found a place online that will make boards to yor own design if you provide the patterning. So I have been working overtime with Fritzing design program to get what I need as a file to send off to them. So my new design instead of just incorporating the lighting, will also have onboard Nano boards for the other working operations as well, that means possibly 4 arduino nanos talking to each other via the I2C protocol and using a signal from the r/c reciever. -- We'll see  %%

Looking impressive Brian - have you powered it up yet!!!

Could not see if you had external pullup resistors on the i2c lines - you will need them!

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2018, 05:28:47 pm »

I had the board above working threepio on manual switching ie a button switch. I haven't yet got them connected via i2c as I am still working on the total layout of the board and nano connections. I hate strip board with a vengeance :D ok for simple stuff but when it gets technical, there is just no way to jump lines, hence the amount of wiring you can see.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2018, 05:44:01 pm »

Brian,

I have nothing against stripboard apart from the fact that solder seems to have an affinity for making friends with the neighbouring track - I find myself inspecting every inch with a high power magnifying glass

Love the work consoles you have made

Re resisitors have a look at this - https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/i2c/i2c-at-the-hardware-level

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: May 08, 2018, 11:10:41 pm »

I cannot believe that LEDs that small could be made until you showed them here! Don't sneeze whatever you do  {:-{

Your interior is splendid. I like the attention to detail such as having different screens and things like telephones.

Pond weed is your enemy

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2018, 08:19:42 am »

This is an amazing build to follow, I'm enjoying it very much! And those LEDs are tiny :o
Keep the pictures coming! :-))
Hama

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: June 29, 2018, 12:18:50 pm »

Half an update, if any of you have missed other posts, I have been without my laser cutter and my laptop for quite a few weeks now, which has rendered modelling to almost nil.
I'll just post the photo's of what I have got done in the meantime, I found I had trouble lifting the work deck for access with it being dropped into the hull as it is. After pondering on best options, I decided on some deck furniture/clutter to help out. All of the items shown are glued to the deck with the exception of the most forward of the containers, these have been glued and screwed from the underside. This means I can grab a hold of these and pull the entire deck out easily.
All the containers have been cast in resin then painted and decals added, the skips were built from plasticard, and the drill pipe is brass tubing.  I will need to 'dirty' this deck clutter up,but that is for a later date.
Not sure whether these have been on before, but I finished the life raft pods, the side rails and the railing around the rear of the deck above the winch house.

Nothing more to add at this point, the next update I'll be back with a motor drive update, some more on the wheelhouse and of course the remaining deck cranes.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: June 29, 2018, 12:19:49 pm »

:-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: June 29, 2018, 12:20:53 pm »

:D

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #223 on: June 29, 2018, 01:27:27 pm »

Very impressive!  :-))
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: June 30, 2018, 10:56:12 am »

The deck clutter is very nice. The skips are a really interesting addition especially with the scrap inside.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.