Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel  (Read 33358 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2018, 07:30:25 PM »

OK to ease me back into the craft room again after visiting the UK for a week or two, here are some photo's from before I went. Getting bored with all the sanding and filling and repainting on the bridge structure, I turned to the daughterboat. I had a line drawing of said item but nothing more than shown here except for the overall measurements.
So I gave it some thought on how to tackle such a small craft and yet still have it operate. I carved a plug from balsa and then covered it in brown packing tape. More thinking and then instead of creating a grp mould instead opted to vacuum form it in plasticard.
I made a vac forming platform from a suitable plastic box, as can be seen, it was drilled with many holes in the surface to allow the vacuum to pull the plastic down. a hole in the side for the flexi hose from my wife's bestest vacuum cleaner  :embarrassed: and both the inside and large hole reinforced with ply, which in hindsight was a good thing - who would think a domestic vacuum could pull such a err vacuum!!!! it almost collapsed the box, fortunately the moulding was already complete when this occured. The box of course is sealed with a lid which I also duct taped into place to seal it completely.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2018, 07:34:28 PM »

The sheet of plasticard was stapled to a wooden rectangle slightly larger than the box, place into the oven under its grill portion until the plastic began to sag in the centre. With my wife holding the hose in the hole and ready to turn the vacuum on I quickly removed the plastic from the oven and held over the form, as she turned on the vacuum I lowered it quickly and the resulting suction pulled it to shape, I couldn't ask for better. As I said after around 30 seconds of the vacuum running the box began to collapse inwards, fortunately the plastic had cooled enough for the resulting hull to retain its shape.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2018, 07:41:17 PM »

Now I have the rough hull which will need some finessing around the top but I can't do that until the decking is in place. Its now a fitting out job for motor and ancillary's while saving weight or this tiny thing will float like a brick without total care.

While on about weightsaving I wanted a standard dc motor at 14 grams, but I was worried about the torque even though the prop is just 10mm in diameter, so I upped the weight to 23 grams and have opted for a brushless, but saved the difference in weight with its accompanying esc. Also just look at the size of that servo, I don't think they come much smaller!
As an aside the real daughterboat uses two jet drives, hmmm its getting a single prop drive unless anyone knows of jet drives with a diameter of 5mm and less than 30 mm long  :} so that brings me right up to date, and ready to start afresh after my 'holiday'

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: December 07, 2018, 03:55:13 PM »

Wow Brian thats mighty impressive building a home made vac box - The little boat looks great  :-))
Its not the finishing that matters - Its the journey along the way that counts

Fairmount Alpine Build http://modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/album/bXv
Anteo Tug Build http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,59708.0.html

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #279 on: December 07, 2018, 06:54:14 PM »

Crikey what a lot of work you have done to her over the past few months Brian. I would have got bored making my stanchions much sooner and have reached for the internet to buy brass stanchions  :-)

Despite setback, she is coming along really nicely.
Pond weed is your enemy

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #280 on: December 08, 2018, 08:23:52 AM »

looking good Brian  :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up