Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel  (Read 69396 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2018, 07:30:25 pm »

OK to ease me back into the craft room again after visiting the UK for a week or two, here are some photo's from before I went. Getting bored with all the sanding and filling and repainting on the bridge structure, I turned to the daughterboat. I had a line drawing of said item but nothing more than shown here except for the overall measurements.
So I gave it some thought on how to tackle such a small craft and yet still have it operate. I carved a plug from balsa and then covered it in brown packing tape. More thinking and then instead of creating a grp mould instead opted to vacuum form it in plasticard.
I made a vac forming platform from a suitable plastic box, as can be seen, it was drilled with many holes in the surface to allow the vacuum to pull the plastic down. a hole in the side for the flexi hose from my wife's bestest vacuum cleaner  :embarrassed: and both the inside and large hole reinforced with ply, which in hindsight was a good thing - who would think a domestic vacuum could pull such a err vacuum!!!! it almost collapsed the box, fortunately the moulding was already complete when this occured. The box of course is sealed with a lid which I also duct taped into place to seal it completely.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2018, 07:34:28 pm »

The sheet of plasticard was stapled to a wooden rectangle slightly larger than the box, place into the oven under its grill portion until the plastic began to sag in the centre. With my wife holding the hose in the hole and ready to turn the vacuum on I quickly removed the plastic from the oven and held over the form, as she turned on the vacuum I lowered it quickly and the resulting suction pulled it to shape, I couldn't ask for better. As I said after around 30 seconds of the vacuum running the box began to collapse inwards, fortunately the plastic had cooled enough for the resulting hull to retain its shape.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2018, 07:41:17 pm »

Now I have the rough hull which will need some finessing around the top but I can't do that until the decking is in place. Its now a fitting out job for motor and ancillary's while saving weight or this tiny thing will float like a brick without total care.

While on about weightsaving I wanted a standard dc motor at 14 grams, but I was worried about the torque even though the prop is just 10mm in diameter, so I upped the weight to 23 grams and have opted for a brushless, but saved the difference in weight with its accompanying esc. Also just look at the size of that servo, I don't think they come much smaller!
As an aside the real daughterboat uses two jet drives, hmmm its getting a single prop drive unless anyone knows of jet drives with a diameter of 5mm and less than 30 mm long  :} so that brings me right up to date, and ready to start afresh after my 'holiday'

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: December 07, 2018, 03:55:13 pm »

Wow Brian thats mighty impressive building a home made vac box - The little boat looks great  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #279 on: December 07, 2018, 06:54:14 pm »

Crikey what a lot of work you have done to her over the past few months Brian. I would have got bored making my stanchions much sooner and have reached for the internet to buy brass stanchions  :-)

Despite setback, she is coming along really nicely.
Pond weed is your enemy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #281 on: December 21, 2018, 09:59:35 pm »

I'm definitely going to try and make a vac-box like yours Brian - simple but effective, as they say... :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #282 on: December 22, 2018, 07:52:29 am »

I'm definitely going to try and make a vac-box like yours Brian - simple but effective, as they say... :-))

Regards,

Ray.
If you do Ray then I would suggest making the box out of 12mm 1/2in plywood for rigidity, I used the plastic box because I had it lying around, but really it was too weak to withstand the vacuum that was pulled inside of it- especially if I wanted to make repeat items. You can see how much suction happened by all the small dimples where the plastic was sucked into the holes. This was your standard A4 size sheet of plasticard, I think you should be able to go up to A3 (double A4) six with no trouble at all. Vacuum I used was a 'Henry' but any with a hose would do.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #283 on: December 22, 2018, 09:38:13 am »

Ah, yes I see what you mean. Thanks for pointing that out.
I bought a Titan wet/dry vacuum cleaner from screw fix recently which should create the suction required.

Regards
Ray

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #284 on: December 24, 2018, 07:54:34 am »

Let's have a bit more of the daughterboat...
I got the hull fitted out with the motor and servo and esc. These are now sealed forever under the rear sub decking. Then I cut the mesh panelling that covers the motor room from stainless steel micro mesh and superglued that to  the sub deck. Around this I cut the main deck and the access covers for the engines and glued those to the sub dec all around the hull perimeter. The end result is a completely flat surface with no transition between the mesh and the deck.
I moved on to the superstructure and here is shown attempt number one. I got it completed but it didn't look right when finished. I compared it to my photos and the proportions were wrong - I had to guess these as I only have photo's no plans, Mare Safety for some reason keep them well protected even thought the hull shape is generic across many manufacturers! I don't think I mentioned that earlier, I only used the drawing above for the hull shape knowing the cabin was nothing like what was needed. So onto cabin build number 2.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #285 on: December 24, 2018, 08:00:01 am »

So here is attempt number 2 much more in proportion to what is on the actual boat. The front port holes cause a bit of consternation due to them being below the internal cowling for the cabin to slot over. I solved this by removing part of the cowling and using 2mm acrylic sheet in its place, instant glazing for the portholes which looks correct and will also keep the water out. The grille can be seen better in these photo's also the rear conning position and a small venting grille made from some photo etch that was in the spares tray. Also the front escape hatch in place as well. The front roofline caused a bit of a headache with its shape. Getting the compund curve to it - think of a football surface. In the end I copied the original from photo's made up from 5 wedges and glued into place, then the curve cut around the front. The end result actually shows up like the original as well - bonus!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #286 on: December 24, 2018, 08:11:15 am »

So lets put some paint on it so that the cabin glazing can be done. Looks like the Robin Reliant of Del Boys here :)
 I have made a rudimentary internals, a couple of seats taken from some tiny cheapo cars, two seamen painted in survival suits make up the internals. On the roof are the two inflateable pods that right the craft in case of capsize, according to the sales blurb these are enough to right the craft in a total submerge and flooding of all internal spaces to allow crew to survive - nice to know! I made these the same as the cheater panels on my tramp steamer. A couple pieces of kitchen towel soaked in pva glue, draped over two rectangles of plasticard and allowed to dry. The end result gives a good facsimile of the canvas covered pods- the port side is only half the length of the starboard. Also added a location radar as well, I'm not adding the aerial array to it. You can also see the handrails along the sides and also the railing around the stern over the access hatches.
The hull is not yet painted as I am tossing around ideas for the rudder. The actual boat has two waterjet drives, I have used a tiny propellor. I can't use a standard rudder as their is no room really, I could offset it like a powerboat or make a kort nozzle. What I am thinking is an extended kort nozzle to mimic the shape of the waterjet outlets. whichever way I go will be shown in the next update.
So for now its a Xmas break away from building (at least for one day :) ) So a Happy Xmas to anyone that cares to read this..

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #287 on: December 24, 2018, 09:00:16 am »

Wow great detail  :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #289 on: January 01, 2019, 04:13:01 pm »

Let's carry on with the daughterboat.
These four show me cutting the brass to fashion a prop, very tiny and really unable to source one so small without resorting to extortionate prices to commission one.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #290 on: January 01, 2019, 04:14:54 pm »

Here's a couple of photo's showing how it fits into its hangar at the stern, quite a tight fit but the photo's I have of the real craft show it just the same.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #291 on: January 01, 2019, 04:15:34 pm »

Sometimes pictures just do not sum up how difficult a job can be - nice job Brian there's some patience in that prop  :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #292 on: January 01, 2019, 04:16:17 pm »

And the almost completed daughterboat, balancing on some shot glasses that I use for paint etc.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #293 on: January 01, 2019, 04:18:10 pm »

I think you need to buy some more clamps because you obviously don't have enough  {-)   Lovely job on the boat  :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #294 on: January 01, 2019, 04:22:11 pm »

OK now here's the final few and an admission. This daughterboat is going on a shelf to be forgotten about! I have not been happy with the way it has gone together - the final straw was hooking up the control wire to the bucket over the prop, it snapped the end of the servo which is buried deep in the boat and unreachable. On top of that I have seen on a shapeways page a gill drive jet prop arrangement in 12mm diameter which is more in keeping with this boat.
I'm waiting for an answer to find out if he can downsize it from 12mm to 8mm for me and then I'll rebuild a new hull. Meanwhile the entire build is once again going on the backburner as I have to get my MG finally converted to Spanish registration before the brexit date in March.  So another week or two from it will hopefully reinvigorate my jaded build prowess at the moment.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #295 on: January 01, 2019, 04:23:48 pm »

Cheers Mark. Can't have enough clamps, I have a whole row of metal woodwork clamps hung under the bench, some metal C clamps under there as well along with a whole drawer of bulldog clips :}

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #296 on: January 03, 2019, 09:18:20 am »

Even if it was a Version 1.0, the design has some good ideas such as the transparent area in the uprighty bit that keeps the water out (I can't think of the name, I have Manthrax  :(( ) Have loads of fun in the MG and refresh your batteries Brian. You have come so far to abandon the project now, she's a classy model as is her daughter.
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #297 on: January 29, 2019, 09:25:42 am »

No new update as yet, but just some info to pass along, Kurt the first officer onboard has been in touch to let me know of the latest developments on the 1 to 1 ship. Over the last couple months its undergone a facelift with the addition of huge batteries and a shore connection. This allows it to rely solely on battery power when its on station alonside the Goliat platform in the Barents sea. The shore connection also allows for it to connect into the Norwegian electrical grid instead of using liquified gas to power its systems whilst in port. Apparently these changes allow it to save 1400 tonnes of carbon dioxide being emitted to the atmosphere per annum.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #298 on: January 29, 2019, 11:05:52 am »

We all want to know, did you test sail her, and what was the result, even just in a sink did she sit upright, you could reuse the top as that won't change its just the hull.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #299 on: January 29, 2019, 11:48:36 am »

We all want to know, did you test sail her, and what was the result, even just in a sink did she sit upright, you could reuse the top as that won't change its just the hull.
Are we talking about the daughterboat? Yep it floated ok just above the waterline with all running gear except a battery! I need a battery about half the size of  a pp3 that kicks out 6v - 9v and as light as possible  %% the esc has a bec built in so no probs there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.