Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tight fit for QM2 in Hamburg.  (Read 9563 times)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Tight fit for QM2 in Hamburg.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 06:31:28 pm »

Plenty of room [size=78%]IMO[/size]
Having docked down on
ships RN wise from 100 Tons
to 54000 tons in some outlandish
drydocks including Bombay in the
Monsoon season . The shoreside
heads were unbelievable. The rats
controlled entry >>:-(
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 11:23:25 pm »

Clearly there is sufficient width & length on the Hamburg doc17 to let her Majesty settle on the lowered blocks, however the above waterline cross windage potential must have been great  <*<

It also appeared that she could not take an azipod  powered tug towing her with her & then the tug to stay in the dock & have her own mini water wash whilst the QM2 had her major event

I wonder if the older well known term of docking and re-fit now be replaced with the term "re-mastering"   :o

Is the QM2 not the subject of Legal proceedings between the owners & ABB/Rolls Royce over the as now proved reduced in service operation to planned service?...... meaning the vessel must dock at intervals of 2 years and not as planned 3 year periods?

PS....Ned is certainly correct.....I had the misfortune only once to do a night shift in our Captain Cook Graving dock on the lower dock floor....& @ 0200 the Rats were the spectators & probably the supervisors supervisor {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 09:47:03 pm »

It seems a lot of drydocking, what is the reason for so many, is it to do with her propulsion system.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:15:50 pm »

The Mermaid propulsion pods have proved to be less robust than intended and following several breakdowns they need more frequent maintenance in dry dock, the cost of which has been the subject of legal proceedings between the ship's owners and the pod manufacturers (Rolls Royce I believe). Also the duration of transatlantic crossings has been increased to lessen the stress on the pods, each of which weighs more than a Boeing 747!

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 10:38:38 pm »

From: http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2011/01/the-tale-of-the-mermaid-pods-carnival-awarded-24-million-in-lawsuit-with-rolls-royce/

The Tale of the Mermaid Pods – Carnival Awarded $24 million in lawsuit with Rolls Royce
Posted on January 8, 2011 by Rick Spilman

This week Carnival Cruise Lines was awarded $24 million in a lawsuit with Rolls Royce related to the repeated failure of the  “Mermaid Pods” on Carnival’s Cunard Line ship, Queen Mary 2. Last year about this time Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines reached a $65 million settlement with Rolls Royce over Mermaid pods on its ships.

Mermaid pods are either the best or the worst idea to hit the cruise industry in the last few decades.   “Podded” propulsion is intended to replace conventional shafting rudders and stern thrusters. A “pod” is a strut extending from the hull of a ship with an electric motor inside, driving a propeller.

Pods are often designed to rotate, thus performing the job of both the rudder and a stern thruster.  The podwas intended the cruise captain’s dream in that it was designed to provide efficient slow speed maneuvering and a simper propulsion system over all.   Rolls Royce marketed their “Mermaid pods” and sold quite a few to Royal Caribbean and Carnival Cruise Lines.  A competitor, ABB sold their “Azipods” to Norwegian Cruise Lines among others.

The problem is that the propellers which drive the ship are directing all their thrust through a rotating bearing  on the pod which also happens to steer the ship.  If this bearing fails, the ship loses the pod as both a propulsion system and as a rudder.  Most ships have either two or four pods. Often two pods are fixed (non-rotating.)  Royal Caribbean had  Mermaid Pods installed on their subsidiary Celebrity Cruise Line Millennium class ships and soon were taking ships out of service and cancelling cruises because of Mermaid pod bearing failures.

Notwithstanding the problems that the cruise lines have had with pod propulsion, it still remains the system of choice in cruise ship new building.  The new Cunard liners Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria both have Azipod propulsion.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 11:31:56 pm »

That's it Martin! Just can't rely on Mermaids really....

Colin

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 08:58:22 am »

"Remastering"? That's a new one for the nautical lexicon probably thought up by some PR type who had never swung a Monday hammer in their life and wouldn't recognise it anyway!  (Come to think of it, most current marine engineers wouldn't recognise one either.)
We just had 'drydocking' where (hopefully) all the bits that had broken, fallen off or burnt out were replaced unless the budget was tight.
Barry M

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 09:46:52 am »

Couldn't agree more BarryM

I read between the lines that the abnormal/unplanned Drydocking [to repack the bearings in the Mermaid Pods <*<] was also the appropriate time to replace Westminster Royal patterned carpet in the 1st Class suites & probably hang a few newer faked or forged painting types works of art in the galleries or walkways 

Yes to ...''re Master" the vessel {-)......................

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 09:52:29 am »

Monday Hammer ? ? we used those for 'centre popping'  %%  used a 'Tup' for the real heavy stuff . . .
The early AZIPODS were a nightmare and , as Martin says , the vertical stack bearings were being hammered thru thrust transfer . . when that happened the wear ridge thrown up prevented removal of the stack unit . . .it's sorted now and AZI's are generally reliable .
Aren't the MERMAID pods puller prop type rather than the pusher prop type ? they will get sorted eventually.
Bill

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 10:33:53 am »

I think the 'art gallery' in the side gangways is being converted to provide additional cabins. More profitable I would think!

There are a lot of very good paintings of previous Cunarders around the ship though.

Colin

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 07:25:42 pm »

This Vid shows her on the way from  Southampton to her 'Re-mastering' in Hamburg and interesting to see that they started work whilst under way. Anyone for a nice bit of teak?  about 20 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRRGJq9pxgc

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 08:28:52 pm »

I thought that Cunard ran her as a cargo ship when the passenger lists were short to make a few bob, but I suppose these are teak panks and not deck cargo :}

Seeing all those lounges and resturants makes me want to do a trans atlantic now:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 05:46:09 pm »

Ian - I am sailing on her Transat come July 17th - her second trip since this 're-mastering', during which the decks have been replaced - amongst much more!  I read last night that the new carpeting filled 32 containers!
Seems I timed my booking right! :-))

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/remastered/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 06:30:33 pm »

You will love it Nemo.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 09:40:27 pm »

I am told that the latest deck plans show that the art gallery will be retained but that the passageway on the other side of the vessel will be converted to single cabins.

Colin

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 10:20:54 am »

You will love it Nemo.Colin

Colin - I took your advice and got the Haynes Manual (last time it was a Triumph Herald!) which I will take on board. Looking forward to the experience very much O0
Bob.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 12:16:13 am »

Well.....whilst the words remastered/remastering did technically exist the Books of words %)...I do believe it will now have a long lasting meaning for luxury vessels during what we knew as refit............

Just how one would quality the 'level' of work to use the term 'remastered' is rather difficult to assess ;D...and secondly would the place of the work have any level of qualification?

After yesterday.....the QM2 may need to go to an alternate non EU crydoack for her next berthing.......how big is the dock in Malta?.....as our Captain Cook drydock is just long enough...but a bit squessy beam wise  for comfort
Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 01:41:15 pm »

Cunard "remasters" its vessels but now Tesco "recalibrates" its stores. To put it another way that we can understand, they are stopping 24-hour opening. Doesn't it make you want to reach out and slap their PR people with a blunt slice of reality?

Barry M

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 05:43:30 pm »

Going forward, from soup to nuts, it's like kicking a whale down the beach  <*<
Don't Assume Check

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 06:01:18 pm »

Ooh, lets get Blue sky thinking and idea slaughter this until the next corporate bondage weekend.

One day I will cross the Atlantic on a liner and experience the wonder of ocean views and numerous eating locations.

The Planetarium bit looks fun:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 11:13:41 pm »

There was an article on the changes in today's Sunday Times. Looks like they have successfully updated those areas that needed refurbishment. Should be an even better experience to travel on her now.

Colin

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 08:28:40 pm »

I can now confirm this Colin as my voyage over the past week was amazing. The ship is in excellent condition and I can only recommend her to everyone who wishes to have a fantastic experience. The service, food, crew and entertainers were outstanding. The QM2 is no 'cruise ship' but a true ocean liner. The only blot on the voyage was no fault of ship or crew, but 20 hours of thick fog over the Grand Banks causing 3 loud blasts on those great horns every 90 seconds!! Nobody got any sleep that night!
I did spot one wee thing that none of the crew apparently had spotted in an otherwise immaculate vessel (or rather its small cousin).......  ;)  OOps!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 08:50:41 pm »

Very glad to hear you enjoyed it Bob - not something you will forget.

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.