Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A vegan-friendly cricket ball???  (Read 12587 times)

inertia

A vegan-friendly cricket ball???
« on: June 10, 2016, 09:39:13 am »

Yorkshire cricket coach and former Aussie fast bowler Jason Gillespie has converted to veganism following the sudden heart-attack which struck his father. He has said that he hopes the dairy industry will one day close down and that cricket balls will be made of a synthetic material and not animal hide.
When converting to veganism was something he'd ever considered, the wonderful Merv Hughes said immediately "NO!", followed a split second later with "Do you want me to think a bit longer about that?"

You'll do for me, Merv.  Here's the full interview http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03xmmmm

DM

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A vegan-friendly cricket ball???
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 02:26:11 pm »

Probably has a pet newt!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 06:08:37 pm »

Funny how life's vagaries turn you into a raving loony? I suppose its like the smokers who give up and turn into rabid anti smokers.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 09:54:20 pm »

If Meat eaters were raving loonies...  %)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O_VYcsIk8

inertia

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 11:17:34 pm »

{-) :-))

DM

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 07:52:23 am »

That is so funny Umi, I have been on the receiving end of that from veggies many times, in fact I get it every monday night at the bar from another englishman who is a veggie. I pity his partner who is a meat eater but not allowed to have it in the house. She only gets to eat meat when she is out and he is not with her.

inertia

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 08:51:01 am »

If you want a good belly laugh then Google 'Mock the Week Vegetarian Option'. The subject is "Things that would change the atmosphere at a dinner party". It contains six seconds of Frankie Boyle and one four-letter word. You've been warned!
DM

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 09:02:50 am »

If you want a good belly laugh then Google 'Mock the Week Vegetarian Option'. The subject is "Things that would change the atmosphere at a dinner party". It contains six seconds of Frankie Boyle and one four-letter word. You've been warned!
DM
Nice.  {-)  O0

I can understand being vegetarian, though vegan seems a bit loony, but vegetarians who eat fish? (or even chicken in some cases). I'm not sure what that is but loony doesn't come close  %%

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 09:18:00 am »

I suppose that I'm a semi vegetarian.  If I'm going to eat animals I prefer animals that eat vegetables.  Apart from chicken and fish, of course.  And preferably animals with no more than 4 legs.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 11:30:19 am »

I'm a vegan, have been five years and if you don't discriminate against me for my life choices then I won't mock yours. Simples ;D

inertia

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 12:15:56 pm »

Andy

Thank you for sharing that with all of us, but would it offend you too much if I were to tell you that frankly I couldn't care less about what you eat - or why? As regards the likelihood of 'discrimination' for your 'life-choices' I'd say that you have to consider that aspect when you make those choices. It's not the same as discrimination on the grounds of race, gender or religion.

I can understand a reluctance towards "eating corpses" but insisting on soya-based "cream" in a cake or on beer which wasn't fined with isinglass just seems a bit fussy to a humble omnivore like me.

Feel free to mock me for my 'life choices' but I can't help wonder how long you'd last with the smell of a bacon sandwich under your nose.... :o   

As for synthetic cricket balls - dream on, Jason, but it ain't gonna happen.

DM

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 12:32:29 pm »

I suppose that I'm a semi vegetarian.  If I'm going to eat animals I prefer animals that eat vegetables.  Apart from chicken and fish, of course.  And preferably animals with no more than 4 legs.
{-) {-) {-)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 01:00:45 pm »

Brings to mind that Channel 4 series on cooking in each others houses. One episode kicked off with a veggie cooking entirely veggie based food. So the others when it came to their turn cooked and served meat, even to the veggies, much to their disgust. But he couldn't see that although he accused them of discrimination, he had done exactly the same to them.

Each to their own, if you have a belief that's fine, just don't try and push it on to everyone else.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 01:54:47 pm »

But as MBM is unbiassed and we must embrace all peoples life choices I'll include this one too:-

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 03:55:25 pm »

I like meat, after all we are designed to me both Carnivorous and herbivorous. I give thanks to the animal that gave its life for me and think that we should have better care towards our animals that we consume. I love cheese and milk and I would rather eat something and die knowing I enjoyed it and life than die at 90 with the health system failing me  :D  (I.E the Government ruining everything)

I know, this is not about politics but you know what I am on about...and if you do, could tell me? :embarrassed:
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 06:59:41 pm »

I think we are getting away from the object of the topic, which is Veganism, not Vegetarianism - a different concept.

inertia

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 08:16:24 pm »

Actually the topic was intended to be about Merv Hughes' wonderful comic timing; veganism was just a vehicle for it.
Morrissey said that meat is murder but he's such a miserable, pretentious git that I don't pay any regard to his opinions anyway. I doubt he would even find Merv funny, which is sad.
Dave M

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 01:22:51 am »

I can't help wonder how long you'd last with the smell of a bacon sandwich under your nose....

The question is more how long you'd last trying to shove a bacon sandwich under my nose before you were wearing it...

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 09:00:19 am »

I think we are getting away from the object of the topic, which is Veganism, not Vegetarianism - a different concept.

OK so what is the difference and how is it healthy for you.

Common sense, which is long dead, says it can't be good for you. Particularly eating a cricket ball. :o  :o  :o

So where is the balanced diet and all that, is it soccer balls, golf balls, etc,  {:-{  {:-{  {:-{ does it, being Vegan make one a little touchy  %) %) %)

Gunna build those other boats one day.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 09:22:51 am »

If you have the choice of what to eat you are fortunate.  Those of us on a medically prescribed diet due to Diabetes are not so lucky.  Virtually all diet foods are completely without taste or texture where eating becomes more of a mechanical process, and no longer a pleasure.  It seems almost anything in a package or tin contains unacceptably high levels of sugar, salt, and no-no fats.  Most breakfast serials and even fruit are high in sugar. 

So, whatever your convictions, if you are able to, then eat drink what you choose and be merry
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

inertia

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2016, 09:45:35 am »

OK so what is the difference and how is it healthy for you.

Common sense, which is long dead, says it can't be good for you. Particularly eating a cricket ball. :o :o :o

So where is the balanced diet and all that, is it soccer balls, golf balls, etc,  {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ does it, being Vegan make one a little touchy  %) %) %)

Vegetarians avoid eating meat or meat products. This often - but not always - includes fish. Many people thrive on such a diet, which consists mainly of vegetables, pulses, fruit and nuts.
In addition, vegans refuse to consume any product of any animals, including all dairy products. My example of isinglass, which is made from the swim bladder of certain fish and used as finings in beer, is genuine.
In my experience vegans are a nuisance, especially when it comes to choosing cream cakes in the office to celebrate a birthday ("It MUST be 'non-dairy cream' - have you got that? And no animal fat in the pastry!") or when buying a round of drinks ("Do you sell organic Chardonnay?"). Pompous pronouncements about closing the whole dairy industry and making cricket balls out of plastic do nothing to endear them to us lesser mortals.
Oh - and wearing a bacon sandwich? Hardly original, Andy. Is this where you got the idea from?  8)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Gaga%27s_meat_dress

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 11:13:50 am »

I've been a vegetarian for 34 years. I became disillusioned with the methods of the meat industry in the early eighties, and little has apparently changed since then.

Meat consumers are, by and large, insulated from what goes on in modern farming, on the way to and in slaughter houses: though there are copious videos and reports available for those who'd like to learn more. As it is, for many people the happy cow becomes a shiny plastic-wrapped supermarket steak as if by magic.

If animals were treated with respect during their lives, quickly and humanely slaughtered on farms, and not distressed by farming, transportation, corralling, and - often botched - execution, I might change my mind. Sure, the end-price might well be considerably more, but when you consider the ability of supermarkets to be able to sell you a chicken for the price of a couple of pints and still make a tidy profit, you have to wonder what shortcuts have been taken during that bird's sixteen-week life, and whether you, the meat-eating consumer who underpins the whole process, believes that to be morally right.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 11:41:34 am »

Andy,
Animals don't treat each other with respect. They usually eat each other. Its called the food chain.
I can not understand why vegetarians/vegans want to eat substitute sausages, beefburgers etc.
From this thread it does seem that a lack of meat turns you a bit short tempered. Why ruin a perfectly good bacon sandwich.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 11:48:56 am »

I've been a vegetarian for 34 years. I became disillusioned with the methods of the meat industry in the early eighties, and little has apparently changed since then.

Meat consumers are, by and large, insulated from what goes on in modern farming, on the way to and in slaughter houses: though there are copious videos and reports available for those who'd like to learn more. As it is, for many people the happy cow becomes a shiny plastic-wrapped supermarket steak as if by magic.

If animals were treated with respect during their lives, quickly and humanely slaughtered on farms, and not distressed by farming, transportation, corralling, and - often botched - execution, I might change my mind. Sure, the end-price might well be considerably more, but when you consider the ability of supermarkets to be able to sell you a chicken for the price of a couple of pints and still make a tidy profit, you have to wonder what shortcuts have been taken during that bird's sixteen-week life, and whether you, the meat-eating consumer who underpins the whole process, believes that to be morally right.

Andy
I agree with everything you say (except I'm not vegetarian) though I thought there were organic/humane sources available, though as you say at a price. I would be minded to use some of those sources but unfortunately my personal shopper won't contemplate the cost or inconvenience. I know that's a moral cop-out, but it's one I live with a little uncomfortably.
I'd certainly like to see less meat eaten in the world simply because it's not very efficient use of land and contributes to greenhouse gases.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2016, 12:01:27 pm »

Well the thread seems to have gone from light hearted japes about (daft) vegan cricket balls to full on unprovoked veggie/vegan bashing. Good on Andy for being as restrained in his response as he has been.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 22 queries.