Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:12 scale Logging Tug  (Read 21351 times)

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
1:12 scale Logging Tug
« on: June 13, 2016, 12:55:08 pm »

Hi all, I've been fairly busy lately so haven't been posting a lot but I am having to rest up a bit after a health issue so I thought I would use the time to update you guy's on my latest little project.
I have always loved the look of those little simple models like George Turner's Tomsk so I thought I'd have a go at making something along those lines for myself, during one of my regular Google searches for mini tugs I came across a neat sketch of a logging tug done by a gent in the USA and managed to hunt him down and get permission to use his drawing as the basis for a model.
Basically I had to finish building my vac former and turn his sketch into a practical model so here's how it's been going......

First up was to import the sketch into my drawing software and add the necessary rib detail as well as generate the parts ready for laser cutting, as it was really only a solid plug for forming over the parts were to be cut from solid MDF

If you look hard at the centre of that last photo you can just see the original sketch.

And my rib detail looked like this

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1:12 scale Logging Tug
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 12:59:53 pm »

After a few days of playing with the design and adding a little fore deck and a raised section for a towing bitt aft (plus heaps of sanding and bogging) I had the basic shape I wanted.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 01:07:44 pm »

While everything was drying I had a play with the design of the wheelhouse and cut out a mock-up to see if what I wanted to do actually looked ok.

The exhaust you see pictured was quite an adventure to make in itself, I turned down some dowel to the required diameter with a spigot left on either end, I then cut a small MDF hexagon for both ends that slid tightly onto that spigot, this enabled me to sit the part in my laser engraver, engrave one set of holes, slide the drawing up rotate the whole thing to the next flat spot of the hexagon and engrave again untill I had worked all the way around.........fun :
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 01:13:51 pm »

By this stage I was ready to do a few test pulls, I only had a few sheets of .75 high impact styrene but it was enough to give me an idea of what would work.

First test pull

Although the hull was reasonable I could tell that the large flat parts of the hull would benefit from some cooling channels just to add a some strength and while I was at it I added a spot for the rudder, by doing this it gives the epoxy around the rudder post a great place to pool.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 01:20:56 pm »

After a few days of playing around with the MDF masters I had the rebate around the hull fitting perfectly, now in 1.5mm HIPS (High Impact Styrene).

And my daughter caught sight of one of the prototypes and had to have it......... In PINK of course :)

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 01:29:13 pm »

One small issue I was having was the floor or deck was very thin as most of the 1.5mm was being used up in the relatively deep sides so by the time it stretched all the way to the bottom I wasn't really happy with the deck strength so I made a negative mold of the floor so the whole floor is now nice and thick with a good lip to locate the wheelhouse coaming molded in :) if you look closely you can just see the join line around the inside of the hull down near the floor.

This was the first pull of the floor but after this I adjusted the mold and it is now a nice tight fit with even less of a join showing :)

Isaac Asimov

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 03:33:45 pm »

Aha!  Interesting!   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

missyd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 06:18:46 pm »

Lovely model!  :-))
Cheers
Danielle

All lost pictures of the N. Loredana ---> visit the following link:
https://nuovaloredana.imgur.com/all/
All pictures can be found on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/fvcorneliamarie
https://www.facebook.com/MpNuovaLoredana/

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 07:20:27 pm »

Looking forward to seeing the finished boat. What are the dimensions?

Charlie

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 07:46:28 pm »

Was that your daughter reading what looked like instructions in one of the photos! I hope she has a long interest in model boats, she might end up being as skilled as Danielle when she's grown up :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 11:37:12 pm »

Neat and tidy work! Looks like you have done this before?

Thanks for posting.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 12:39:25 am »

mike_victoriabc, I have made on or two models before but this is my first attempt a vac forming.

ballastanksian, that's my boy and I do believe he's reading the instructions for a warhammer tank kit, he does love his boat's though and I recently bought him a german armed trawler he had wanted for quite a while.

Charlie, it's exactly 300mm long, not sure about the width, hadn't paid that alot of attention but I will check when and if I get back down the workshop today.

missyd, thank's :)
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 12:50:37 am »

This was the first test of the lower half of the wheelhouse over the coaming, the engine grating you see was changed slightly to incorporate a locating hole for the exhaust.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 12:57:55 am »

Next up was to make molds for the upper wheelhouse, roof and doors, it's not easy to see but the upper wheelhouse is in 2 parts, the forward box section and a back wall that slides into place, both vac formed with window frame detail incorporated.

The wheelhouse former

First pull of the wheelhouse parts quickly glued together for effect, the figure is 1:12 scale

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 01:00:30 am »

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 10:48:51 am »

When it comes to the r/c setup I'm thinking of a simple 380 brushed motor running off a 7.4v lipo but I must confess that I have never used a 380 in any model I have ever built, does anyone have any reservations about this size motor or will it have plenty of power?

Phill
Isaac Asimov

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 01:16:59 pm »

Oh Martin, I have been trying to talk myself out of that option just in case I decide to produce it as a kit and wanted to show a simple generic set up, plus I have a few spare brushed ESC's laying around and would have to order something in if I go brushless, also if I stick with a 380 I could form up a nice little motor mount, having said all that I will now go and see if there's enough on the pre paid card to order some brushless goodies.

Phill
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
Isaac Asimov

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 08:58:13 am »

Hi,

If you do a kit of this boat I will buy one.

Regards

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 09:25:38 am »

SOLD! to the man in Port Mcquarie :-))  I'm getting some great feedback so It's definitely going to happen.

Phill
Isaac Asimov

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 09:35:42 am »

A most Excellent thread, if you do come up with a kit be interested to get my hands on 2 or 3, kids will love it sailing around the garden pond!
 :-))
Possibility of a GRP hull?, reason i ask is vac formed plastic card can go brittle after a few years, and being a little tug its going to get knocked about, there is only so much the plastic can take before fractures start.

Single layer layup GRP would be enough to keep weight and cost down.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 10:06:53 am »

Hi Tugtower, I shall put you on the list for when they are ready :-))  as for producing them in GRP, normally that would be the way I would go however there are a couple of reasons why I won't do them in glass, firstly is I have been having both neighbor and health issues when it comes to resin be it polyester or epoxy and I discovered that outsourcing them here in Tasmania is so costly I couldn't sell them, I found with my Albert kit just how much they want for glass hulls and sadly  it's just not do-able.
If you are worried about cracking a hull you can always scuff up the inside and give it a coat of fine glass matting set in epoxy resin, possibly a surfboard finishing mat, this would give it an incredible amount of rock bouncing ability  O0

Phill

Isaac Asimov

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 10:08:52 am »

Good idea  :-))

Will await for kit production and put my order in! ( fyi it will probably be 3 )

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 10:10:58 am »

Just a little progress today, I made the masters for casting the fore and aft bollards.

Then I had a muck around with some of my stock fitting's just for fun.

Isaac Asimov
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 22 queries.