Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:12 scale Logging Tug  (Read 21357 times)

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1:12 scale Logging Tug
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 05:45:25 pm »

Looking good.

Len.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 10:42:15 pm »

Thank's Len, glad you like it  :-)) .

It was mentioned to me that this is like a club 500 for the tugboat world (which is a great compliment) and I see you get a driveshaft with that particular kit, so far I wasn't going to include a propshaft as I cant source any at a price that would make it do-able, by any chance does anyone here on mayhem know where to source a cheap 150mm long propshaft from?

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2016, 11:24:28 pm »

Hey Phill, I like your vac formings, they look very crisp and much better than the vague, lumpy and often frail offerings fro the Vac form air craft world.

I am glad to hear that both your kids have an interest at some level in the hobby. Pop up some pictures of your boy's trawler when you both start building it.
Pond weed is your enemy

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 12:16:13 am »

Obviously producing a kit with a few of the extras such as prop shaft, motor, linkages and rudder are great.

But as with most kits the running gear can suffer as a result of keeping the kit to a reasonable price level.

The club 500 is a great model but when model slipway owned it, they supplied an M5 shaft with plastic bushings, great as a start but the shaft was awful, it 'sticks the motors' when it warms up and reduces speed and run time.
i believe many of us swapped out to something better, i know i did!
I can't say what the new owners are putting in the kit, i hope they have improved in a few places.

With modern advancements in the electronic depts, its probably better to keep the kit as just the moldings and avoid adding the extras, make suggestions on the building instructions would be preferable for those just starting out, many builders will opt to put their own running gear in depending on what they are going to run with.

Which is how lesro/vintagemodelboat co. are doing kits. Just the model and no running gear, leaving the scope open for the builder, so a good model at decent value for cash!

This would also help in reducing costs on shipping given your distance as well as you having to front extra costs for stock. That can be pricey, average cost of a shaft is around £8 give or take, you order say 25 for stock, that's £200 already laid out in one part + the other components on top.

Its up to you obviously how far you wish to go with a kit, just my 2 cents.

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2016, 02:23:24 am »

Phill,

This looks great :-)) :-)). I'll be keen for a couple when the kits are ready.

Kind wish,

Bruce
"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 09:26:35 am »

Hi,

As I usually sail in salt water I only use one type of prop shaft which I order from Victoria.

Don't include the fittings and everyone will still be happy.

Regards

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2016, 09:54:20 am »

Thank's for the kind words and the advice on what to include, look's like the best bet is to go with the original plan and let the buyer sort out his/her own shaft and prop, I will do a few tests and work out what I think works well and suggest what to use as well.

The next question I have is a sure to cause controversy, obviously I have fixed costs to consider but what would everyone expect to pay for such a model, basically it will be 10 thermoformed pieces of 1.5mm High Impact Styrene and the resin fittings which will be 1x exhaust 1x forward bollard 1xtowing bitt and a rudder with the shaft cast into it as well as a fitting in the hull for the rudder tube, the finished length is 300mm long and 170 wide, if you have a suggestion and don't want to post it then feel free to PM me.

Also after some searching I have found an Australian supplier of coloured styrene sheet, I will give them a call tomorrow and see what my options there are, I foresee a bright yellow minion inspired tug with a blue bottom on the horizon :) thanks for the suggestion.

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 07:17:47 am »

Regarding the use of different coloured HIPS, turns out the only Australian manufacturer only supplies in 1000kg lots, there is an importer that will import coloured sheets from the UK but the order need's to be done months in advance so it looks like I'm stuck with white, thank goodness it's easy to paint :)

Phill
Isaac Asimov

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 09:05:18 am »

Hi,

In which case make mine a white one... {-)

Regards

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2016, 09:34:52 am »

Very good rickles23  :-))

There was one more resin fitting I think need's to be added to the final kit........

with all the supplied fittings (except rudder at this stage)

Isaac Asimov

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2016, 05:41:48 pm »

Got a bunged up dose,? {-) (nose)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 08:01:17 pm »

Get well soon. She looks like a beauty :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2016, 01:45:49 am »

Yeah, that's me, sinus infection at the moment and that was the closest thing I could find to prop the nose up  ;)

Phill
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2016, 12:33:20 pm »

Made the masters for the skeg, rudder and tiller support/locator, I feel a little less nervous when the kids use my tugs if I know the rudder and prop have a skeg protecting it :)

Isaac Asimov

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2016, 05:22:39 pm »

Superb  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2016, 05:36:45 pm »

Indeed, she is a beauty.
Pond weed is your enemy

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2016, 10:27:50 am »

Still dragging my feet but I managed to get some RC gear into the prototype just to prove the design before I start selling them, she performed beautifully :) I will now join the upper and lower sections and throw some paint on it............stay tuned!

A little video https://www.facebook.com/250190361689419/videos/1166137296761383/

Phill
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2016, 12:46:54 pm »

All painted, ballasted and ready to go, I just have to get some build photo's onto a CD and the kit will be ready to go, I hope you have all enjoyed the build.

https://youtu.be/ajBbaANteo0

Phill
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2016, 11:06:35 am »

So I'm finally back on deck, the molds have been perfected are ready to go and I have been flat out taking photo's for an instruction book, I thought I might go ahead and post those photo's on here as well.

So the first job is to give all the parts a good soapy warm water wash to remove any traces of release agent, then locate the dimples where the rudder and propshaft should locate and drill out with a small pilot hole, then enlarge the rudder hole to 6mm so the rudder assembly can locate inside the hull and enlarge the hole in the keel to suit your propshaft.

The rudder assembly should locate nicely into the recess in the hull.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2016, 11:15:39 am »

At this stage, before gluing anything I suggest making sure everything lines up nicely.

With the skeg taped in place temporarily I now fit the propshaft making sure it runs parallel to the keel (hence the rulers)
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2016, 11:21:47 am »

Allow about 4mm of the tube to extend past the outside of the keel.

This is where I would line the skeg up and glue it in place, once again check that it is all straight.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2016, 11:24:57 am »

Next up I check the rudder assembly is hard against the hull and fix in place with a drop of CA followed but a nice gob of epoxy which I also put around the shaft.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2016, 11:33:03 am »

While the epoxy is drying I start on the upper sections, start by opening up the access hatch in the deck section.

Trim around the inside edge with a sharp knife, remember multiple light cuts work best.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2016, 11:41:16 am »

Next up, find the part that forms the coaming that the wheelhouse will locate onto, using a plastic glue (I like the tubes of thick humbrol) and glue it onto the lip in the deck section, dont try and press it down too hard, it just needs to sit nicely, if you try and push it down hard to the deck it will distort.

( I notice I had not cut out the access in the deck section in the photo yet but it doesn't matter at this stage)

Once it's set you can cut out the access hole :)
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2016, 12:15:50 pm »

Next up, release the deck section from the frame (remember multiple light cuts)

Then sit the deck section in place and mark out where the access hole needs to be.

Then glue the deck section into place (plastic glue), this effectively gives the deck double thickness.

Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.