Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:12 scale Logging Tug  (Read 21349 times)

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1:12 scale Logging Tug
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2016, 12:30:53 pm »

Before you join the top and bottom halves of the hull together it's a good time to get your choice of electrics sorted, I try and make the motor, battery and steering servo easily accessible and tuck things like the ESC and the receiver under the deck out of the way.
It's also a good time to look at ballast (notice the 2 small lead weights I have at the stern)

Notice that I have also drilled an access hole so I can get at the tiller, there is a laser cut panel that glues over this hole (silicone so I can remove it if I ever need to)
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2016, 12:43:03 pm »

Before gluing the upper and lower halves together (with thickened epoxy) the rebate where the top slides over the bottom needs to be scuffed up for a better glue joint, then apply the epoxy to the upper half then slide down onto the bottom, once again don't push it down too hard just until the joins line up nicely.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2016, 11:02:54 pm »

If your printed instructions are as clear as these then the kit will be a joy to build. I would add an image of the dimples for ID purposes just in case. (Call me Mr OCD)

Pond weed is your enemy

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2016, 09:17:02 am »

Ballastanksian, I assure you my dimples are gorgeous or so my wife tells me  ;) , I will get a photo of them just for reference.
I have been asked to give a better description of all the RC gear I used in the demo boat.........

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8932__Turnigy_2200mAh_3S_20C_Lipo_Pack.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16229__NTM_Prop_Drive_Series_28_30A_750kv_140w.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__13445__HobbyKing_Brushless_Car_ESC_45A_w_Reverse.html

I should add that I'm not a fan of this ESC as It only has about 1/3 power in reverse and I cant figure out how to program it out although I don't have to worry about the kids sucking it under in reverse  O0
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2016, 09:19:49 am »

I should also add that that ESC is a bit of a squeeze, there may be smaller options.

Phill
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2016, 12:45:16 pm »

While the hull is drying It's a good time to make a start on the wheelhouse, there is a lower, upper, back wall and roof piece, in this picture you can see the back wall piece needs to be trimmed to 6MM (black line in the photo)

Better photo

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2016, 12:49:43 pm »

The back wall can then be glued into the back of the wheelhouse, once again I use the thicker Humbrol plastic kit glue, once dry I run another bead around the join to act as a filler.

The top section can then be glued to the lower section.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2016, 12:54:43 pm »

Next up, trim the roof down to 6mm.

Then glue into place 6mm in from the back wall and 6mm in from the sides.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2016, 12:56:23 pm »

Next job is to trim the doors down to 3mm.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2016, 12:59:05 pm »

And a shot of my favorite plastic kit glue :)
Isaac Asimov

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2016, 10:32:34 pm »

Cor, that brings back memories of making model kits on the kitchen table and that lovely aroma:O)

BTW, keep it away from your dimples mate!
Pond weed is your enemy

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2016, 12:43:45 am »

Cor, that brings back memories of making model kits on the kitchen table and that lovely aroma:O)
I've had 3 friends walk into the workshop while I have been building these and they have all stopped dead, taken a big sniff and said exactly the same thing  O0

Phill
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2016, 09:53:37 am »

I still have a few more steps to post but I just had to share a pic of the current prototype :)

Phill
Isaac Asimov

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2016, 08:20:32 pm »

In that colour she looks like a trophy Phill! Lovely job.
Pond weed is your enemy

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2016, 04:12:17 am »

Well It's been quite a while since my last update, good news is I'm still alive and the kits have turned out quite nicely, I have been working down the list of inquiries but have been having issues with my email (and the PM system for those on other forums) if anyone is still waiting on quotes for freight I apologize, please send me a fresh PM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXYhHRZ2KG4
If anyone is still interested the kits are still currently $100AUD and express freight with insurance to the UK is $65.62AUD

Phill
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2016, 04:17:02 am »

Just reading back over my post's and thought I would make it clear that this is a Semi Kit, so you receive a full set of vac formed parts, resin fittings and instruction manual.

Phill
Isaac Asimov

JIM WORNER

• Full Mayhemer
  • Not me chief : Engines
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2016, 01:54:57 pm »

Super design; it will annoy some of our "purists". Any idea when you will be releasing kits.
Thinking of postage to the UK, perhaps an option of no hardware?
Either way, please can I order one?
Cheers  Jim :-))

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2016, 09:45:06 am »

Hi Jim, sorry I have taken a while to answer, just a tad busy this time of year :) I have some quotes on freight to give you an idea of the costs, here is a copy/paste of prices for you.

I have cleared a backlog of orders and have had a chance to get some more quotes on freight.[/size]We quote on sending them via Australia Post, express delivery and with insurance, the kit's are still currently $100AUDFreight cost's are as follows....Canada $63.77 AUDChina $61.97 AUDUSA $63.77 AUDUK $65.62 AUDWe do take PayPal but have to charge the fee extra, If I have missed anyone out in these prices please let me know, possible best to drop me a line

As for a no hardware option, the kit is a semi kit only so you get all the vac forming's, resin fittings and instructions, r/c, propshaft, prop etc need to purchased separately but the instructions have a full list of whats needed.

I have a build on another forum also that might give you some extra info...... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2671251-Log-Bronc-from-Tasmania/page7
Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.