Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improbable TV plot  (Read 5499 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Improbable TV plot
« on: June 14, 2016, 09:21:01 pm »

My wife's TV suffers from only being able to receive forensic drama's, which is why I spend a lot of time in the workshop.

In what must have been the most improbable plot and laughable props was tonight's episode of Criminal Minds

The villain was able to hack into a commercial airliner to completely take over its controls to attempt to crash it.  When caught, the nasty person was found to be controlling the airliner from many miles away using what was obviously a bog standard 2.4GHz model aircraft/boat transmitter !!!!  It looked very much like a Planet T5.   Wow!  I wish mine had a range like that that.
He must have smuggled to Rx on board, and bind it!

When the show ended I immediately rushed into my workshop to make sure I had my Tx turned off. 
We are fairly close to Heathrow after all.   %%

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
Re: Improbable TV plot
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 09:54:32 pm »

Yes, TV (or film) plots that are physically plausible and entertaining are a bit like hobby horse doings.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:42:57 am »

Then of course he would have to spend the obligatory 30 minutes checking the batteries, leads and trying to figure out why the rudder has reversed.  He also would need 3 accomplices asking if he's checked the batteries, leads and telling him the rudder is reversed.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 08:48:27 am »

Not forgetting the one telling you how you have bought the wrong radio,and that he know of someone who had the same XYZ as you and it Exploded, caught fire, ran off with the pilates teacher, etc etc
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 09:02:20 am »

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 09:04:54 am »

There was a similar plot in the new Hawaii Five O series. It was a young computer hacker holding them to ransom. This time though it was more plausible. He was going to crash an airliner but the way he did it was to feed it false automated heading locations via his laptop. The idea was that the plane would fly over the pacific until it ran out of fuel.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 09:13:06 am »

There was a similar plot in the new Hawaii Five O series. It was a young computer hacker holding them to ransom. This time though it was more plausible. He was going to crash an airliner but the way he did it was to feed it false automated heading locations via his laptop. The idea was that the plane would fly over the pacific until it ran out of fuel.

I wonder where they got that idea?

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 09:24:25 am »

I am still trying to figure out how, after her had got the Rx on board and bound it, he managed to mechanically link the servos to the various flight controls.  In particular the CH5 switch linked via a relay board to lower the undercarriage.  I have enough problems getting this stuff to work on a model.  The Rx aerial would also have to be threaded outside the metal fuselage or it would not get a signal.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 10:37:54 am »

Well you say that Bob but that's almost exactly what Channel 4 did a couple of years ago!
... but they did use a Spektum radio & a chase plane!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-plane-crash/on-demand

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 12:05:13 pm »

They are TV programmes, entertainment for the masses. Since when has reality been a requirement?
Don't Assume Check

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 01:50:53 pm »

That was interesting Martin.  A real first for an actual crash simulation, plus a first for largest aircraft controlled by model type transmitter with a range of only 50 m.

The vast amount of preparation required to the aircraft, and very large expert team needed, belied the silly TV drama yesterday in which "any" airliner could be taken over at choice through just remote software and a basic 2.4 GHz transmitter many miles away was about as credible as Iggle Piggle's journey to the Night Garden on CBBC.   {-)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 01:58:25 pm »

Quite disturbing reading as I've just flown from gatwick to Helsinki  {-)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 02:11:17 pm »

That was interesting Martin.  A real first for an actual crash simulation, plus a first for largest aircraft controlled by model type transmitter with a range of only 50 m.

The vast amount of preparation required to the aircraft, and very large expert team needed, belied the silly TV drama yesterday in which "any" airliner could be taken over at choice through just remote software and a basic 2.4 GHz transmitter many miles away was about as credible as Iggle Piggle's journey to the Night Garden on CBBC.   {-)

:(( Iggle Piggle isn't real?  :((

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 02:23:52 pm »

:(( Iggle Piggle isn't real?  :((

Ooops, sorry to our younger readers.  In fact over the last month he has been seen sailing at Black Park, Beale Park, Wicksteed and Alfold -  guided by the same radio transmitter misrepresented on Criminal Minds last night -  but that one couldn't play music, so must have been pretty basic.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 05:57:04 pm »

I wonder if they could hack-jack Santa?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 06:10:04 pm »

I wonder if they could hack-jack Santa?

Thought Santa was a run from Norad  %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 11:35:26 pm »

Does anyone remember 'Sky Pirates'? It was a ninteen seventies Children's Film Foundation production in which a criminal mastermind hijacked a bloke's Spitfire model to run diamonds across the channel. He got a gang of children to fly other conveniently built Spit models armed with elastic band propelled darts to shoot the smuggler down.

When Bob and Tail UK were describing the issues of secreting radio gear inside the aircraft it brought back the memory of seeing the transmitter for this model 'hidden' in a van. It was bloomin huge, like an old radio system. Surely the Police just needed to look for a van with a giant aerial on the roof?

Don't knock the Iggle Piggle. He and Dolly bathtime were doing great at Wicksteed!
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 08:37:32 am »

Sounds a dam sight better than the XXXX you get on TV today.  %% %%

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 09:28:11 pm »

Anything connected to the internet is hackable, was reading recently where a top spec car in the USA was hacked to prove to the manufacture's that it was possible, because the vehicle had computes on board to operate various functions and it was hacked by its mobile phone connection. Planes now connect to operator maintenance units on land and if the operators maintenance computer is connected to the internet well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 08:56:37 am »

Just last night a similar scenario on the original NCIS series, although this was a private jet that was either going to be shot down by the navy or otherwise moved away from populated areas because there was no communication from the cockpit.

It was explained that they can't take control independently of an aircraft as all flight computer operations are self contained to stop that happening. However you can affect the autopilot by sending false information from the gps satellites they use. So you can't hack the plane but you can hack the satellites :o :o

In this plot the plane crashed and the crew and passengers were found to be dead onboard due to poisoning.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2016, 09:11:47 am »

I saw that too Brian.  Almost as improbable as they appeared to be able to get up to 5 GPS satellites to send false altitude data to get it to descend.  It was never explained how this failed to affect thousands of other flights similarly relaying on the same GPS positioning data.

One is expected to suspend reality in watching such TV dramas. 
Even the TV News could be "made up" for all I know.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2016, 10:11:20 am »

I can imagine the hijack scene now, 'Take me to Wicksteed'. %)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2016, 07:07:39 pm »

I know what you mean about the news Bob.

They seem to be ranting on about something called a referendum? just lately, dunno what thats all about ;D ;D

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 07:15:46 pm »

Sadly you CAN hack an aircraft , BUT ( and its a blinking BIG BUT ) , you have to be onboard. A tech wizz proved it could be done by reaching under his seat on a flight and plugging a USB cable directly into the onboard system that feeds the tv's and earplugs up in 1st class. He was able to control the air conditioning control unit and , far more worryingly , able to effect the engines by adjusting the fuel going in so he had the ability , if he wanted , to shut the engines down without the pilots being able to reset the system and lock him out in time to restart them...

I believe this has been very very quickly fixed so it can't be done again

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/feds-say-banned-researcher-commandeered-plane/

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/possible-passengers-hack-commercial-aircraft/
Davie Tait,
Scotland
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.