Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Model Engineering club in Exeter area  (Read 3254 times)

Bee

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New Model Engineering club in Exeter area
« on: June 16, 2016, 01:25:43 pm »

Since there is a lot of crossover between Model Engineering and Model Boating, and I know there are hundreds of members of the existing Exeter model boat club this may be of interest.
Posted on the Model Engineer forum there is a proposal for a new club and a meeting THIS FRIDAY evening, at 7 pm at the St Sidwells centre ,Sidwell street, Exeter
http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=118042#2022297
I am not part of this organisation so don't know any more than is posted just thought it was of interest.

(I know it looks like I'm a newby but I was a regular member here before the big crash of 2012 when I couldn't get the site to re-register me)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: New Model Engineering club in Exeter area
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 09:15:34 pm »

Exeter is just a little too far for me to get to. My idea of a perfect club (if possible!) is, 1. One that opens up two to four times a week preferably in the evening and perhaps a weekend morning/afternoon. 2. It is no more than twenty minutes drive away. 3. Has a reasonable workshop.

The reasons for 1. is to cater for those who work during the day, 2, is to give enough time in the week for maintenance etc and also to allow members who cannot make one session attend another. 3 is because my facilities are minimal and providing members care for the equipment, it is available for all to use with reasonable training from experienced members (Thus PLI would obviously be required).

I wish them well.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bee

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 01:58:49 pm »

The meeting was quite successful with 17 turning up and so the club is definitely formed and going ahead. Quite a few then paid the unusually low membership fee of £15 and soon a website and probably facebook page will be created. Meetings will be in the same location on the second Friday of the month, starting in July. The club will not be just steam locos so there is potential for those with a boating interest to become involved.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 05:27:54 pm »

I am very pleased to hear that the club has got a core of members. What are your medium term plans and what form will the club take?
Pond weed is your enemy

Bee

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 12:05:08 am »

I think initially it will be a social meeting with a talk and running a portable track to raise funds until a proper club site can be found. There is a desire not to be seen as only running trains it is just that that is the best way for raising funds initially.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 09:49:52 am »

Ironically, the need for a track to run live steam etc on is the most visible element of most societies grounds. Where a Traction engine needs only regular ground to run on, and stationary displays and machines etc need a bench, live steam locos etc need a track/tracks for running, and space to lay them on. It becomes a focus of the society both positive and negative, as all members should feel the need to help their society thrive through volunteering time and effort to build and maintain society assets, but it must not become a divisive experience for members.

I have experience of an enthusiastic member offering to level parts of the socoety's raised track and then being critisised for doing it wrongly (it was a minor job). We lost an active and up to that point enthusiastic member who was trying out a number of model engineering disciplines.

I would also caution against allowing areas to become the preserve of cliques within the society's membership, and also do not allow personal property to be stored on site except on a temporary basis (for events and sale on to another member as a place of transfer) as these will also become divisive issues. I know it is the weakness of the whole membership to let these things happen, but they have happened and can do in other clubs if member are not careful:O)

Sorry to be negative Bee, I want Exeter club to be fresh and interesting to all members and to be a place to be excited about, but without any of the nonsense that can become.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bee

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 05:30:49 pm »

Interesting points Ian.
Boat clubs have little opportunity to earn money from the public except by an exhibition so funds are limited and sailing has to be on public or private but free water. Not heard of one buying land, digging a hole etc. Model railway and model car clubs are in the same 'boat'. Stationary engines are the same, though require minimal facilities, traction engines can earn pennies from rides if allowed to in a park.
Model Engineering railway tracks are unique in providing a means of financing themselves and under the right management then supporting other modelling activities. The guys starting ESMEE seem to be particularly keen on this wider opportunity.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 11:01:40 pm »

Oh yes this is very very true, live steam locos do still enthrall youngsters and not a few parents as well. They conjour up stuff that granny and Grand dad mentions and puts it in perspective, more so than tractions engines sadly (as I am a traction engine/military vehicle fan:O)

CDSME (Chichester club) rent their grounds from the local council while others have an agreement with their council and run in a park where they may be obliged to run for a certain number of days/periods each year which provides funds as you mention as well as some form of activity in a public park.

I think there are a few societies with their own grounds but am unsure which. Possibly Rugby ME.

Pond weed is your enemy

Bee

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 10:02:28 pm »

Updating the news about the club.
Now named the Exeter & District Model Engineering Society and from now will meet on the 3rd Friday of the month at St Katherine's Priory in Exeter at 7pm for 7.30 start. Meeting fee £2.
The new location is also going to be the site for a track and eventually perhaps workshop. It is an active community centre and already has a model railway club on site.

Ok not specifically a boat club but one of the members is building a Stuart launch engine (actually more than one) and another is working on a triple. I don't think the former knows just how big a boat is needed but the latter does having seen the incredibly well presented launch on the St Albans stand at last year's Ally Pally show.
The club will be appearing at various venues with their portable track in the coming months and hopefully at the Priory on Boxing day if you want somewhere to take the kids of just to meet the team.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.