Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS EXETER The Long Build  (Read 2911 times)

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
HMS EXETER The Long Build
« on: June 18, 2016, 10:35:07 am »

This is my build of a 1/96 scale model of the Royal Navy Cruiser HMS Exeter. I have had this project in mind for a long time. I have some plans but not a lot else. The plans show a bread & butter construction but I have chosen a hard chine method. I am trying to build this model using much of the surplus materials I have laying around. At 70 years old cost is an issue. I am also not to concerned about 100% accuracy. Firstly I cut the bulkheads from 5mm ply. Next the central keel plate from thinner material. After marking out the bulkhead positions I shall slot them & the keel plate. Some will be hollowed out later. This is a long build, most of mine are!!
                                        Propslip

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS EXETER The Long Build
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 07:12:42 am »

Working on the keel & bulkheads now. Hope to get all the necessary cuts done today. I shall also knock up a 6 foot building board. Not sure which way up I will erect it all yet. There is a shear to the raised focsle so distance pieces under most of the bulkheads will be necessary to keep it all level & in line.
                                       Propslip

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 05:41:58 pm »

Ooh, another interesting warship build to watch with interest over the next few months/years. The Flower in the background looks like it sets a precedent for quality finishing.

Pond weed is your enemy

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 08:00:09 pm »

Been slotting the bulkheads for the stringers & strengtheners today. Still plenty more to do before I can start building up the framework. I am over 70 now so things take a little longer!!
                               Propslip

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 08:14:04 am »

hi ya Propshaft. talk about time of building models - when I built HMS Exeter it took me two attempts over 15 years.  The first attempt was when I was working from the same plans which you are using and the second attempt was from plans from The Maritime Museum plus over one thousand pictures because the only plans that the Maritime Museum have was how HMS Exeter was to be built.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33734.0.html

Your build is looking brilliant.

One bit of advice, get on the building board straight away because of the length of the hull it tends to twist if unsupported whilst framing up.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 11:49:09 am »

Slow progress this weekend. The alignment jig tor the keel has been made. False rebates have been glued either side of the keel for strength & to give the first layer of planks something to sit on. The bulkheads are a loose fit at present as there is still some work to be done on them & a bit of jiggling to do so they all line up nicely. This is very much of a family build & the grandchildren are employed cutting & sanding as required!! A couple more pictures, also the Flower Class corvette in for repair. New mast, radar lantern & various other bits damaged at some time in its career.
                                    Propslip

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 10:57:29 pm »

You sound like a friend of mine who has taught his grand children over the last twelve years how to make and paint well.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.