Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need some help guys  (Read 2641 times)

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
need some help guys
« on: June 20, 2016, 10:21:44 pm »

hi all
i have had this ship for some time now and im about to start recommissioning her.
i was told its a Vic smeed design of the vickers vedette.
this model is 61in long and scratch built with working guns and lights also working radar.
she did have some very old radio gear inside her and was powered by 8 cyclone cells that were way past there best so were removed from the model
along with the radio gear. the two motors look like 550s and are working nicely so will keep them in the boat
my question is if the original vic smeed model is 30in long at 1/100 scale so what scale will mine be at 61in ( im not the best at scales )
any help would be much appreciated as there is not a lot of info on the internet about the model or the real ship.
regards
mick
you only get one childhood so make it last all your life.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: need some help guys
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 10:48:25 pm »

If it is twice as long as Vic's original then the scale will be 1:50.

The Cyclon lead acid cells are 2 volts so if they are connected in series that would give 16 volts which seems very high for 550 type motors. If they were wired in parallel or in a separate set for each motor then you are looking at an 8 volt supply which seems more logical and which could be replaced by an 8.4 volt NiMH pack to drive the existing motors.

Colin

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:01:46 pm »

thank you Colin
i appreciate you swift reply and help im planing to run the motors on a 12v pb battery ( will help with ballast )
but now thanks to you i know the scale of the ship it will help me with building some deck fittings for her.
regards
mick

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 03:24:20 am »

Hi Mick
The Vedette was a plan in the December 1975 Model Boats magazine.
She was a design by Vickers as an alternative to the Vosper Mk. 5 and Mk. 9 corvettes but none were built.   Various alternative arrangements were proposed including one with a Lynx helicopter.
Consequently you could put almost any armament on her.
The plan that was included in the magazine was slightly smaller than 1:100 because of printing difficulties but if your model was built from 'bought' plans it should have been enlarged to 1:50 scale.
In the end the Vosper designs were built for the Iranian and Nigerian navies.
My own Vosper Mk. 3 Corvette 'Dorina' is to basically the same scale but is a bit shorter at 52"
Motors are two 540 size 6 volt with a 6 volt sealed gel cell which gives plenty of performance.
The original battery  was 7 AH but she tended to roll rather a lot and I changed to 12 AH which did not increase the depth much and made her much more stable.   NiMH batteries might be rather light.

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 07:20:43 am »

hi Brian
thanks for your help. and some great info. funny you should mention the Iranian navy as the model has the Iranian flag on her.
also i was thinking of adding a lynx helicopter to the rear deck.
need to do some more research on the ship to see how the rear deck is configured for the helicopter.
regards
mick

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 07:43:58 am »

Hi Mick
Have a look at
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5696&sid=b38a073bd3922360987d70f4085e807f&start=10
There are several theoretical ideas for the Vedette
Also plenty of alternatives on google
Brian

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 08:50:10 am »

hi all
i have had this ship for some time now and im about to start recommissioning her.
i was told its a Vic smeed design of the vickers vedette.
this model is 61in long and scratch built with working guns and lights also working radar.
she did have some very old radio gear inside her and was powered by 8 cyclone cells that were way past there best so were removed from the model
along with the radio gear. the two motors look like 550s and are working nicely so will keep them in the boat
my question is if the original vic smeed model is 30in long at 1/100 scale so what scale will mine be at 61in ( im not the best at scales )
any help would be much appreciated as there is not a lot of info on the internet about the model or the real ship.
regards
mick
The original proposal for the Vedette was that she should be 76.2  metres (250ft) long overall. Divide 3000 inches by 61 and that gives a scale of 1/49th scale.  1/48th scale figures should do nicely if anyone made 1/48th scale sailors and fittings shouldn't be impossible to find. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 11:21:16 am »

thanks Brian for the link will have a look  :-))
tailuk thanks for the info mate. ok2
 when Colin and Brian confirmed 1/50th scale i immediately thought of 1/48 scale and as you say a ships crew and fittings should be no problem at that scale.
this is what i love about mayhem the knowledge and wealth of experience  is just astounding  :-))
regards
mick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.