Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cleaning paint prior to stickers  (Read 2594 times)

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
cleaning paint prior to stickers
« on: June 21, 2016, 07:23:51 pm »

Hi all,
I have been asked to assist in putting some vinyl stickers on a 1:1 model of a narrowboat.. :D 45ft of it.
I am assuming the paintwork is enamels....we need to clean it prior to putting on the vinyl name plates and some scrolls.

what's best? or cleanest? or cheapest?
I have some Fairy powerspray, Mangers sugarsoap, Meths, White spirit? or would I be better off getting some Panel wipe?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: cleaning paint prior to stickers
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 07:59:17 pm »

I'd avoid any kind of solvent unless you're absolutely positive what paint has been used.  I'd go with lukewarm water with liquid hand soap and a rinse with clean water (not from the canal)  If you haven't put vinyl down before a really good tip is to get clean water in a spray bottle and wet the surface where the vinyl is going.  This stops the vinyl from sticking completely and means you can juggle it a little.  When you're sure you've got it right, use a squeegee to force the excess water out and the vinyl down.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 09:54:06 pm »

PANEL WIPE all the way m8 No other product

Dave

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 08:08:21 am »

Cheers. :-))

inertia

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:38:46 am »

I'm rather impressed with these little wipes - which reminds me to put some more on the shopping list.... http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/fillers-preparation/halfords-paint-preparation-wipes-x5
DM

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 09:26:11 am »

I'd avoid any kind of solvent unless you're absolutely positive what paint has been used.  I'd go with lukewarm water with liquid hand soap and a rinse with clean water (not from the canal)  If you haven't put vinyl down before a really good tip is to get clean water in a spray bottle and wet the surface where the vinyl is going.  This stops the vinyl from sticking completely and means you can juggle it a little.  When you're sure you've got it right, use a squeegee to force the excess water out and the vinyl down.

Add a litle drop of washing up liquid to the spray this makes it even easier to move the vinyl around.
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 07:45:01 am »

:-))

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 09:03:24 am »

Thanks for the advice lads, I decided to go for the Halfords paint prep wipes and install dry.
A lovely day for it and a nice little sail into the bargain, with suitable pub stop for lunch.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 02:02:30 pm »

PANEL WIPE all the way m8 No other product

Dave

Having just been doing exactly this job (only on a 1:1 scale car) over the weekend, I will also say panel wipe

I'm rather impressed with these little wipes - which reminds me to put some more on the shopping list.... http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/fillers-preparation/halfords-paint-preparation-wipes-x5
DM

Thats quite an expensive way to buy them.
Stavros put me onto a place that sells them in bulk along with fillers, resins and things you never knew you needed.
Annoyingly the name escapes me so I will have to check my email for the invoice tonight
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.