Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8.1 help needed please...  (Read 1179 times)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Windows 8.1 help needed please...
« on: June 26, 2016, 10:36:36 am »

This is driving me mad...my HP laptop has Windows 8.1 installed. I like it, got the hang of it, but...one false move and a bar appears out of the right side with all sorts of 'stuff' on it...if I do anything wrong, my page disappears and I get a start page with loads of apps on it appears.

I've tried all sorts of things to stop it, but it keeps coming back to haunt me....someone must know how to stop it occurring?

Help...
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 8.1 help needed please...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 02:08:38 pm »

This RH side bar appears when your mouse pointer hits the top RH corner. You will need it to click settings, from where the shutdown / restart options lie. 
As to the mobile-phone-like "apps" screens, these can be activated or deactivated by clicking the Window icon in the bottom LH corner.  These are fairly useless and a pain, but Microsoft seem to feel we all love mobiles so these could be an option to replace a real desktop.

8.1 does take a bit of getting used to  %%
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 05:41:06 pm »

When I bought this laptop it had 8.1 on it, previous one had XP pro, could not get used to 8.1 so stitched to 10 when it was offered. Found 10 better than 8.1 still not as good a XP though.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 05:46:13 pm »

Funny you say that, Gerald...I downloaded W10 on this laptop, and it didn't like it at all...it ran very slow, took two or three goes to boot up from a cold start, and I didn't really like it. Maybe I should persevere...
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.