Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: airbrush paint  (Read 2469 times)

spike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
airbrush paint
« on: June 23, 2016, 06:09:09 pm »

hi two things 1 what make of paint is best for fitting and hull 2 can you use the paint pots from my model shop and if so shwhat do I mix with it and what mix ratio is it pleases

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Re: airbrush paint
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 06:19:14 pm »

there are a few makes. I used all Humbrol products others will tell you different .but there web site has good "how to" from paint mix to weathering .It will give you a starting point .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:50:41 pm »

Be careful if using acrylics as they can flash dry in the gun and are a devil to get clean again, nemesis

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 10:29:31 am »

Nemesis has me in a state of indecision now! I was looking for advise on what paint to use in my newly acquired, cheap airbrush and was leaning towards acrylics, but now am not so sure.
I now build miniatures and as such only ever use a tiny amount of paint, which will have to be well thinned down as thick paint on miniatures does not go well together.
Any advise would be more than welcome as my airbrush is an Xmas press and so no rush.......

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 01:09:07 pm »

I have sprayed Tamiya acrylics straight from the jar with no problems. The last job was a 1/96 Type 42 HMS Exeter. The hull took a little time with a Badger 200 airbrush. However, no problems with flash drying. As you are in Spain I suggest you keep your spraying to the cooler months to limit the possibility of unwanted drying.
Don't Assume Check

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 02:14:48 pm »

Thanks for that. At the scales I am working to, it will take seconds to spare the largest parts, so drying should not be an issue, unless we are in 40 degrees in July..
We are just about to go to the model shop in Fuengirola, an hour plus away, so I will see what he has to offer...

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 05:55:28 pm »

Hi . There is a range of paints made by vallejo called model air. they come pre mixed and are made for airbrushes

john

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 06:40:09 pm »

I think you will be fine with small quantities of paint. I have only had a problem when spraying a winter whitewash scheme on a 1/16 King Tiger. The job took about 90 minutes, it was only towards the end of the job that the brush started to block, requiring about three stops for cleaning. For the first 60 minutes all was fine. I was using Revells own thinners at the time. I think small jobs should not be too much trouble. Bigger jobs probably require a more basic spray gun for the bigger areas.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 07:07:03 pm »

Cheers guys. I have been looking at the Vallejo range this evening....They look good. Now roll on Xmas, so I can get spraying!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.