Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lunch in Poole  (Read 3543 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Lunch in Poole
« on: August 09, 2007, 09:36:16 pm »

After visiting Westbournes to collect my JJC sound system I carried on to Poole Quay for a pint and a sandwich.
Whilst there I took a couple of photos, one of the timber built yacht and one of my new Sunseeker which I am still waiting for them to fit the bridge windscreen on. ;D
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lunch in Poole
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 10:00:01 pm »

Richard,

To paraphrase a piece from Rudyard Kipling, "if you can dream, and not make dreams your master!" Dream on! ::)

Danny

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 10:02:35 pm »

So Richard, will it be a couple of Hectoperms then? And how many amps will the speed controller have to cope with?  ;)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:07:47 pm »

When I figure out how to stall them I'll let you know Colin. :-\

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 10:20:19 pm »

When I figure out how to stall them I'll let you know Colin.

Easy, just run over a lobster pot marker!

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:47:39 pm »

I'd rather have the nice wooden yacht, Bloodhound. Seems to have an interesting history, one titled owner and only £1.5M to you sir  :) :)

OMK

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 12:10:20 am »

You're standing right at the foot of the harbour.
Did you notice them islands about 1'ish mile off-shore to the south?
I'm standing in the exact same place, and I'm asking one of the locals if I can use his bins' in order to get a better grok of them isles.
Until then us Somerset landlubbers dint even know they were there.

I like that place.
Just up the road is Bournemouth.
Some bloke Wordsworth loved B'mouthmodels.com so much that it inspired his 'wandering as lonely as a cloud' top-seller.

Must be something in that Dorset air.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 10:24:31 am »

Hiya Dicky

We used to have a caravan, sited at Poole. Unfortunately they priced me out of the market, so we don't go down any more.

It is really a good place to be, if you like boats.  That Sunseeker is supposed to be over a million pound. We used to sit on that harbour wall looking at the wealth that surrounded us. Makes you feel good, if nothing else.

We noticed the Islands, PMK.  Never had chance to boat over for closer inspection. Maybe one day.  ;D

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 03:43:32 pm »

Hi Ken
The smaller single deck with bridge Sunseekers are over a million so god knows what that one costs.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 06:32:23 pm »

Good memories of Poole, spent some time there driving boats and training others to do the same. Inflatables, rigid raiders, RIBS, LCVP, LCU and occasionally the good old tug, forget the name. Nothing like driving through the harbour during the summer and checking out the talent :o

Other fond memories, the inhabitants of the nurses home ;), the holiday camps beauty competitions (especially the end of seasons winners competition) ;), the then wine bar and the formal balls at RM Poole.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 06:35:34 pm »

Good memories of Poole, spent some time there driving boats and training others to do the same. Inflatables, rigid raiders, RIBS, LCVP, LCU and occasionally the good old tug, forget the name. Nothing like driving through the harbour during the summer and checking out the talent :o

Other fond memories, the inhabitants of the nurses home ;), the holiday camps beauty competitions (especially the end of seasons winners competition) ;), the then wine bar and the formal balls at RM Poole.

Ian do you not think that this should have been posted under "Other Hobbies & Interests"   :-\

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 07:09:38 pm »

Second paragraph maybe  ;D

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 09:07:51 pm »

Hey Dicky D.
Some info on the Sunseeker for you

She's one of their new 37Mtr tri-decks their biggest boats to date.

The first one was bought by none other than Eddie Jordan of F1 fame and is called 'The Snapper'

Displacement 190tonnes
Speed(max/cruise) 27/23
Range 1,700nm @ 12 knots
Crew 8
Accomodation Owner & guests 10 + 2
Designed by Don Shead / Sunseeker

Current cost:    an eye watering £11 million + the dreaded VAT although I'm sure if you chartered her out a few times a year you could run as a business.   ( £100,000 a week charter rate!!!!) .

Not my favourite yacht by any stretch (I'm more of a fan of Feadship and conversions of older commercial craft).

If any ones interested in this type of thing have a gander at Yachtspotter.com or pick up a copy of BOAT INTERNATIONAL next time your in Smiths

OMK

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 03:47:34 am »

>>Other fond memories, the inhabitants of the nurses home ;), the holiday camps beauty competitions...

Hey, Mr. Wobbly, Sir, you're either a Briton living in Sweden, or you're a true born-and-bred Swede. If you ARE British, your spelling is nearly as good as FLJ's. If you ARE Swedish, then... Wow! And welcome to Blighty.
Judging from the context of your scribe I'm assuming you're a smidgeon older than me. By the time I got to Poole the beauty competions and formal balls had already gone.
So, assuming I'm on the right right track, you're talking, what?... 1960s?... ish?
And assuming I got my math wrong, and you ARE younger than I'm thinking you are...
Bummer!
But you're right about the local floozies.
Nice place, innit?

Tug Ken, since them islands caught your eye also, and to paraphrase Tolnedra's Kipling quote, here's the deal...
If ever I should come into a load of dough, I'll bung a few ££££ your way just so... 1) you gets to get your caravan back again, and 2) gets to bring yourself and your tribe over here and see them islands for real.
One of the Captains of all those pleasure-trip boats touting for business on the harbour really looked like he knew his stuff. He even had a load of stripes on the end of his cuffs. I'm looking at my wallet and my wallet is saying no, and said Cpt'n is looking at me as if if to say, "Sorry, dude. But if she was MY ship..."

If you should get six numbers up before I do, and if you should see some waif and stray on the wayside, heading towards Poole...............

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 07:36:32 am »

PMK, born and bred British and slightly younger actually ;D I was based in Poole about '84 for a couple of years.

Holmsey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 06:13:49 pm »

This former Fairmile "B" was alongside Poole Quay last Wednesday
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 22 queries.