Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fantasy ship build - SLV-111 Daedalus  (Read 47395 times)

Sputnikk

Re: Fantasy ship build - SLV-111 Daedalus
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 05:12:29 pm »

This is by far the coolest model I have ever seen.
Great job!

Talk more about how you got started, and the plans?
Did you enlarge a set?

Eric
Homeport Model Ships
www.homeportmodels.com

andygh

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 02:07:05 pm »

Amazing model, looks like a labour of love, very interested to see it finished

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 03:09:17 pm »

hi there .Is there any more up dates of this build O0

john

mechtech

• Full Mayhemer
  • Current project: 6 foot long SLV-111 Daedalus
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 01:34:12 am »

Sorry everyone for the delays.  I only get a little time on-line so I neglected double posting here for the main site I'm usually on here: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=18403  You'll have to sign up to see photos.  Macross World is a great place to go if you're a sci-fi modeller.  As the name implies, the main subject is the animated series "Macross."

Martin e-mailed to see how things were going so I thought I better make some time.  Sorry guys!

UPDATE 6 AUG 08

The next BIG part is the self folding ramp.  It is almost a foot wide and about 25" long.  Carbon fiber frame skinned with styrene and actuated by three modified thin wing servos.  The whole thing is very thin thanks to the servos.  The whole ramp assembly extends on a machined brass screw drive driven by a 280 sized gear motor.

This selection of photos shows the ramp frame and linear drive.  Left out are the failed linear drive to fold the ramp parts and other engineering "blunders" that didn't "cut the mustard" and work properly.  A lot of this was trial by error, emphasis on the ERROR.  Next post shows the folding mechanisms and covering. - MT
For more in depth Daedalus photos, visit Macross World:  http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=18403&st=460&start=460

mechtech

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 01:54:33 am »

By the way, I got so into posting I forgot to say THANK YOU for the compliments and encouragement!  It helps when you're working on the same model day in and out.  The good part is that every component is unique and so actually it's a different ship everyday - sometimes literally!

COS918 - She handles beautifully!  Very responsive and very 2-D.  Very little bank in the turns - even with all that pod hanging far below the hull bottom.  It's flat bottomed so it helps.  It would make a good gun platform O0  Hopefully the massive hanger deck won't affect that much - especially in a breeze!

Sputnikk - There are no plans!  I took a few concept drawings not intended for plans and "improvised."  That means that a lot of the engineering I had to do was complicated.  The part looked good on paper until I went to engineer it!  Something called "anime magic."  It looks good in the drawing  / cartoon until you make it a reality.  For that reason the modeling part is not 100% perfect, but close enough.

I did make my own side profile plan and yes, did blow them up page by page on my printer doing a mosaic of sorts.  I can't tell you how many feet of carbon fiber are in the upper hanger deck areas!!!  The home grown plan allowed me to place the carbon down like standard ship / plane plans.  It's easy to get out of alignment with six feet of model!

AndyGH -
Yes, it's a labor of love.  Four years planning and a LOT of pondering.  Of yeah, and then there's that money thing too!!!  I wish I was keeping track because I'm sure I passed the £500 / $1000 mark some time ago!  Of course that's spread out over about three years.
For more in depth Daedalus photos, visit Macross World:  http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=18403&st=460&start=460

mechtech

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 02:04:24 am »

Take two N-20 micro motors, modify the shaft to accept the servo pinion gear, THEN stick that into the servo with a little shaping of the case and you get A LOT of power in a thin case.  Add metal gears for extra durability!

mechtech

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 02:21:51 am »

Next comes the styrene on frame bit.  By the way, styrene goes great on the carbon fiber with super glue.  As does carbon fiber to carbon fiber!  Just clean up the edges to be mated and clean thoroughly with solvent to get the dust off.  Carbon makes a lot of dust!!!  Protective gear is a REALLY GOOD idea ::)

By the way, all wiring on the frame is printed ribbon cable "recycled" from dead equipment.  ALL of the ramp components run on 3 volts so thin wire works great!

Ramp maximum thickness (at the styrene joint) 13mm.  Sixth picture if it posts right.  Also included is a sample of the engraving done on the sides.

The ramp is now done - MT

mechtech

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 02:36:08 am »

And to catch you up with my posts at MW...
The main hatch!  This is the business end of the ship.  In the series the main hatch opens up with about 7 heavily armed destroids (robots) that let loose their salvo of weapons.  And of course there's the less dramatic opening of the hatch to unfold the ramp and let your mecha depart for battle.

An old and highly modified floppy drive - screw drive actuates the main hatch (third photo in the top of the frame).  Very thin, strong and light.  Best of all it has a built in clutch  - just in case.

The bow hatch lip shows the styrene just sitting in place for the interior deck.  No glue yet since there's still a lot to be done!

The hatch is nearly complete requiring interior / exterior details.  That's it for now.  I'll keep you guys updated as well from now on! - MT

mechtech

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 02:43:04 am »

I'll try to post some movies of the hatch opening.  problem is they are slightly over the limit, but under 500k.  Any secrets short of showering Mayhem with e-mails? - MT

The long Build

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 01:49:04 pm »

This topic shows how it can be done really easy., just a small download to do.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23.0

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 07:55:36 pm »

ER, WOW. looking forward to seing the hatch video. wonderfulll bit of heath robinson engineering. Magnificent.
colin
grumpy old XXX

GaryM

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 10:40:06 pm »

Truly awesome!

regards
Gary :)

Alastair_I

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 10:51:17 pm »

Wow.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2008, 09:18:44 am »

Hi there . Thanks for the updates . Your level of workman ship +detail is very very good. I have been doing a loading ramp on my ferry no were near as complex as yours. I the work i had was hard put pales in to insirnifecants compaired  to yours. Cant wait till the next up date.

john

mechtech

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2008, 09:20:40 pm »

Thanks everyone for the compliments!  The work looks minor, but it's a LOT of detail work.
Now we're getting closer to line art reality. The progress is slow, but there is a lot of detail and measuring. Two notes, the hatch plastic is so thin, you can see through the corners after smoothing them over. Only the super glue is there (visible as lines).

The indents on the front of the hatch on either side towards the middle aren't going to happen. The carbon frame is under there. So I'm going old school and using raised panel lines and black paint to represent them. Plus the structural integrity would be weakened.

Putting the side marks on. A piece of brass channel for spacing/alignment.

Most of the external details applied. The "deflector dish thingy" is sitting in front before gluing on. This was a piece of cut tubing and A LOT of shaping. I tried to wrap some 1/2 round plastic around a tube. It looked wrong and was too heavy, so I went this way.

Nearly complete exterior views - sorry about the lighting.

The lower lip indented to match the hatch. The fit is pretty good over all. Next comes panel lining and cleaning up some corners and scratches. - MT

mechtech

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2008, 06:30:48 pm »

As promised, keeping the updates coming.  UPDATE 30 AUG 08

The hatch and floodlights are completed.  The hatch has a tiny 4mm wide plug to connect to the rest of the lights.

The entranceway details are done as well.  The hard part was making the compound curves on the corners of the hanger deck area.

The port side will not be covered permanently, it will open to reveal the internal details like a display case.  Not to mention the inside will be fully detailed as well like a massive "robot garage."

The starboard side gives you a good idea of how it all should look when done.  Thats is for now. - MT

mechtech

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2008, 09:28:24 pm »

UPDATE - 13 SEPT 08

The exterior of the front hanger bay is done except for the top.  That will come later due to fitting, engraving and installation of interior parts and motorized cranes.

Added interior port lights, detail pieces and engraved port side siding (removes to reveal interior details).

The last photo (3/4 port) compared to included line drawings.  These drawings are the most I have to go on for the external parts of the design.  That's it for now. - MT

Garabaldy

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 06:19:09 pm »

Im really enjoying this build.  How are you getting on? 

Do you think it would be easy to adapt your propulsion pods design into azimuth thrusters?

G

PkBoo

WOW
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2008, 02:57:54 pm »

One word: Ooooohhhh, Ahhhh, Wow. Sorry couldn´t help myself MT! Like many before me I´m the last (now, this second!)one to humbly admire your talent, I´m afraid that many more will follow (right after!). Boo

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2008, 08:30:11 pm »

I'm Soooooo hooked on this, I can't wait for the next instalment  :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time

The long Build

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2008, 08:32:54 pm »

Just think of the steam plant you could put in that   %%

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2008, 09:22:02 pm »

Just found this thread Whoooooooooooo

What a cracker will follow this with great interest.

In admiration Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2009, 11:22:53 pm »

Hi there
Is there any update to this top build. Love the level of engineering you are doing

John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2009, 02:56:37 am »

Fantastic job.

Forgive me if I am trying to mention what you already know.

I see in one of the pictures, with lighting fitted, that the light is bleeding thorought the palsticard.
A fix for this, if you did not already know, it to paint the object black, before going over it with white.

We used to do this with window glass.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

steve pickstock

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2009, 03:23:30 pm »

My friend told me about this last night so I have spent the day dipping in and out of your posts here, and on the Macrosse forum. What a magnificent madness!

I read the title and it did not connect at first - I have one of these in something like 1/3000th scale from a Bandai kit - I believe.

Your attention to detail - and the engineering behind it - is, to use a very much over exercised word, AWESOME! I am making notes of your techniques and while I can't match some of the engineering - mechanical or electrical there is tuff I can learn from you. Thank you.

I hope one day it will be possible to see this breathtaking piece of work in all of it's glory, or at least buy the DVD.

In deepest admiration.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.