Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from an old newbie  (Read 2387 times)

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hello from an old newbie
« on: May 27, 2016, 12:58:33 am »

Hello I have not done much with boats especially in last 40 yrs Now 73 and waiting for new hips and can't get out at present  Live in Meliden Nr Prestatyn N.Wales I am looking for an old plan which was in the old MAP plans hand book It is a float.sponson air driven hydroplane 3 Sponsons  1 in front two at rear on a sort of wing .Serpentine shaped body / fusalage . Motor on front of the pylon and rudder at rear. Body is ply core with balsa either side, Sponsons built like a wing with a thick section ? Balsa with thin ply skins .I made one in the 50s and would like to do another with R,C.  Maybe a much bigger version . Any one out there recognise the model? Thanks for reading  John :} :-))

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
Re: Hello from an old newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 05:31:22 pm »

It is a float.sponson air driven hydroplane 3 Sponsons  1 in front two at rear on a sort of wing .Serpentine shaped body / fusalage . Motor on front of the pylon and rudder at rear. Body is ply core with balsa either side, Sponsons built like a wing with a thick section ? Balsa with thin ply skins . Any one out there recognise the model? Thanks for reading  John :} :-))

Hi John,

Something like this "Skater" by Vic Smeed?

If not then there are other hydroplane plans available on the same website...

Hope this helps.

Mark
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 09:13:11 pm »

Any good?
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 05:49:22 am »

Thanks peeps Skater it is . Couldn't recall the name I was thinking PONDSKATER  Brilliant  I had one Went like stink. Now need to dp an R/C job next

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 08:49:43 am »

Good Grief!

I built one of these before Pontius pilot even sat in a cockpit.  It had a dreaded Wen-mac 049 for power with a KK 3-bladed prop

Fabulous on water, but the best fun came on ice - I lived in Scotland, and the local lochan froze over.  My brother and I tried skater on the ice  - it went like the wind, but was just sliding on the "floats" so as a quick way to get some stability we screwed a razor blade to (just) touch the ice. 

Now it was really impressive, but the fuel always ran out way out on the ice - so my brother (sea fisherman) would cast beyond it with a treble hook and tow it gently back to the bank.

AHHHHH, nostalgia isn't like it used to be :-) [size=78%] [/size]
[/size]I also made a device from Pop Mechanics - which was a large body with 3 legs and tinplate "feet" which allowed it to water-ski.  I think this was called pond-skater or similar.  The year must have been about 1964 or 5andrew[size=78%]

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 09:51:43 am »

I seem to be reduced to 78%!

I hope my waist goes down in the same ratio
andrew
100% really

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 01:08:08 pm »

Good Grief!

I built one of these before Pontius pilot even sat in a cockpit.  It had a dreaded Wen-mac 049 for power with a KK 3-bladed prop

Fabulous on water, but the best fun came on ice - I lived in Scotland, and the local lochan froze over.  My brother and I tried skater on the ice  - it went like the wind, but was just sliding on the "floats" so as a quick way to get some stability we screwed a razor blade to (just) touch the ice. 

Now it was really impressive, but the fuel always ran out way out on the ice - so my brother (sea fisherman) would cast beyond it with a treble hook and tow it gently back to the bank.

AHHHHH, nostalgia isn't like it used to be :-)
I also made a device from Pop Mechanics - which was a large body with 3 legs and tinplate "feet" which allowed it to water-ski.  I think this was called pond-skater or similar.  The year must have been about 1964 or 5andrew
[size=78%]

You knew Pilate too then. Mine had a JB Atom 1.47 cc on it Almost flew.[/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.