Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 update, now or never  (Read 3123 times)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Windows 10 update, now or never
« on: July 04, 2016, 12:54:54 am »

Anyone seen something like this???????
Gunna build those other boats one day.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: Windows 10 update, now or never
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 02:23:43 am »

Until I can be sure W10 will run my old programmes I will stick with 7
The current 'Word' is terrible  and I have several programmes that will not run on 8
New is not always better.  >>:-(

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:34:55 am »

I would venture, if you can, buying a 2nd hard drive, installing Window 7 now, while it's free, then you can reinstall your old HDD with your old OS.....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 07:36:51 am »

After being nagged for months by Microsoft, I went for it. All went well until the end when it simply informed me that Windows 10 would not install and it reverted to 7. Tried it again. Same result with an error code that does not exist. I have now given up and will stick to my old system. >>:-(

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 08:39:23 am »

That may be because your laptop / desktop has had a change of Windows before and Windows 10 looks at the hardware as well of the software , it may have tripped up by working out that the current Windows wasn't what was originally installed.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 08:56:22 am »

Until I can be sure W10 will run my old programmes I will stick with 7
The current 'Word' is terrible  and I have several programmes that will not run on 8
New is not always better.  >>:-(
If you don't try it you can never know, but if they won't run on 8, there's a good chance that they won't run on 10, either.  I did have a couple of programs that wouldn't work, but I found alternatives that mostly work better.  If no alternatives are available, the only option is to stick with an OS that is known to work as long as possible.  I know people who have a dedicated XP machine for that exact reason.  Not a security problem, because those machines never get connected to the net, but there might come a time when a vital peripheral breaks and the replacement won't talk to an old system.
I haven't used Word on my own machines since I started using Libre Office, and Open Office before that.  Both free, and they do work well and very intuitively.
A site worth looking at - http://www.howtogeek.com/227827/windows-10-is-great-except-for-the-parts-that-are-terrible/
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 07:43:47 pm »

I've just had an Email from a friend saying that since he updated to Windows 10 he can no longer open .docx files so could I send it in .doc format. .docx came in with, I believe, Office 7 some 8-9 years ago. Is this progress?

John

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 08:14:16 pm »

I've just had an Email from a friend saying that since he updated to Windows 10 he can no longer open .docx files so could I send it in .doc format. .docx came in with, I believe, Office 7 some 8-9 years ago

That is a known issue - Microsoft state that Office needs to be updated - I wonder if your friend has allowed Offices updates?

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 08:47:01 pm »

Im gonna need a bigger shed.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 09:21:13 pm »

That may be because your laptop / desktop has had a change of Windows before and Windows 10 looks at the hardware as well of the software , it may have tripped up by working out that the current Windows wasn't what was originally installed.

Martin,
That may well explain it. Originally it had Windows 7 in Spanish which was converted to English, bad,y by the store. I then upgraded to 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.....not a bad system to have..

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 09:36:04 pm »

Martin,
That may well explain it. Originally it had Windows 7 in Spanish which was converted to English, bad,y by the store. I then upgraded to 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.....not a bad system to have..

We had a similar same issue with My Stepdaughters Lenovo, changed the Windows Language from English to Finnish as the Laptop was cheaper in the UK.
Tried to do the Windows 10 Upgrade which went well until the final reboot when it then said that there was a problem and reverted back.
A bit of hunting around and we discovered that you have to change the language back to the original (in this case English),upgrade to 10, then change the language again.
This laptop was shipped with Windows 7
My other Stepdaughter has the same laptop only it was purchased a little later and so had Win 8 installed. This one upgraded no problem at all
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 09:59:31 pm »

I don't allow the GWX.exe file to run , I have a pinned link to the systems Windows Task Manager which I click on as soon as my PC boots up , I select the gwx.exe file and stop it , now it is like a virus and will within ten minutes restart so it gets stopped again , now leave my pc on for a few hours and it will start again so again I just close it down.

It is like a virus in the way you can't remove it and MS should've been ordered to stop a long time ago , they are committing a criminal act of misuse of computers by forcing this on us without our permission ( there is around 7Gb of install data hidden on your HD by the time this pop up runs.... ) so I will never "upgrade" ( downgrade in my opinion ) to Windows 10 from Win7 Pro that I currently use.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 07:43:06 am »

I don't allow the GWX.exe file to run , I have a pinned link to the systems Windows Task Manager which I click on as soon as my PC boots up , I select the gwx.exe file and stop it , now it is like a virus and will within ten minutes restart so it gets stopped again , now leave my pc on for a few hours and it will start again so again I just close it down.

It is like a virus in the way you can't remove it and MS should've been ordered to stop a long time ago , they are committing a criminal act of misuse of computers by forcing this on us without our permission ( there is around 7Gb of install data hidden on your HD by the time this pop up runs.... ) so I will never "upgrade" ( downgrade in my opinion ) to Windows 10 from Win7 Pro that I currently use.
Have you found this? - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html - which is supposed to disable the MS PUP
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 03:47:54 pm »

yeah did find it but it came up today with the updated pop up that allows you to decline the update so clicked on that then shut down the gwx.exe file after a few minutes
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 03:55:06 pm »

Windows 10 installed itself on my laptop because I didn't close down a nag pop up quick enough.

I had several keyboard freezes in the first two weeks after that but it seems to have sorted that out now.

Anyone else get freezes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.