Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Beavers Tale  (Read 3122 times)

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
A Beavers Tale
« on: July 05, 2016, 03:39:20 pm »

I was looking on ebay the other day & saw a Type 22 for sale £40. Umm I thought interesting!! A quick look at the pictures showed a very sad looking Type 22, the seller thought it maybe Boxer. As it was buy it now £40 I snapped it up. A short trip from Southend to Maidstone & off I went to pick it up. So what did I get, the Sirmar hull, running gear fitted, 2 motors. Some scratchbuilt superstructure & some fittings. Many of the fitting are in the old style Sirmar bags. It had been stored in an outbuilding & various critters had set up home inside!! Got it home & the first thing was to give it a good bath. As you can see that made a big difference. The rudders & props turn but rather stiffly so these will be removed & cleaned & oiled. The superstructure parts are equally dirty & will also be cleaned, then I shall decided what to replace. One of the superstructure parts has a beaver painted on it so I'm guessing its Beaver. Unfortunately did not come with plans so I am looking out for a set of plans for a Batch 2 Type 22. This will be another long refit, along with the Exeter, Belfast, Bismarck, Hood & various other works in progress, I just cant help myself!!
                                                   Propslip

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A Beavers Tale
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 04:11:44 pm »

And the other parts before cleaning.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 07:02:42 pm »

Looking forward to your restoration project.
Pond weed is your enemy

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 07:48:22 pm »

I don't want to spend a lot of time & money (both in short supply) on this project. The intention is to clean up the parts & re-use as much as I can. I do have a plan for a Batch 3. I shall just use the Modern Combat Ships book & photos I come across on the internet. I will have to remove the aft deck as there is no floor to the towed array sonar deck under the flight deck, in any case the rudders are not connected to anything at present. I will also remove the main deck as there seems to be little, if any support fitted at present. On the plus side the running gear & rudders look sound.
                                              Propslip

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 07:58:36 pm »

I have now cleaned up most of the parts I have. Not to bad considering. Some work to do but not to much. The funnel has a couple of pieces broken out at the base but I can fix that.
                               Propslip

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 08:07:21 pm »

Really lucky to find that, I keep searching but have never been lucky, good luck with it
I will finish this model

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 08:13:23 pm »

hi Propslip

Jecobin  do a set of plans for this vessel - they are a bit pricey - but they are good plans.
http://jecobinplans.com/estore/product_info.php/jecobin-plan-drawing-hms-boxer-1983-1192-p-321

Also, see if you can get hold of Modern Combat Ships number 4 book - its by Leo Marriott - ISBN Number 0-7110-1593-7 - good book; its dedicated purely to the Type 22.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODERN-COMBAT-SHIPS-4-TYPE-22-LEO-MARRIOTT-/191909493897?hash=item2caeb27c89:g:PaoAAOSw7KJXEQv0

by the way did you get a reply from the original John Haynes  :-))

Also Sirmar are still going - have a good web search.    I do have the address somewhere if you need it.
http://www.sirmarfittings.com/

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 08:31:38 pm »

Hi John,
            As I said essential to keep the cost down on this one. I do have the Modern Combat ships  book. I will work with what I have available & my Batch 3 plans. I did not get the reply I posted about Exeter. I was in Chatham today took the opportunity to look at their Ajax, Exeter & Achilles & Graf Spee, wish I could build like that. I will take some photos next time.
                                          Propslip

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 07:51:19 am »

I checked out the 2 Mabuchi motors this morning. They did not look good & I nearly dumped them. I then applied the use what you have rule. Cleaned them up, a tiny drop of oil on the bearings & they run sweetly.
                                Propslip

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 08:38:15 am »

Looks like you got a bargain for £40.00p :-)) Why don't I get that sort of luck! Watching with interest.

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 09:34:53 am »

Just the luck of the draw. That & the fact it was just listed as a Large Model Warship & in the Collectables category. The buy it now price helped, I didn't even read the description, just hit the Buy button. You often find this, you have to think outside the box a bit. I picked up a beautiful model of HMS Victory in a similar fashion for £25. Being retired helps I can check out the listings frequently, I certainly do every morning. Sometimes just searching Model Boat or Model Ship just throws up something in the wrong category. Now you know all my secrets. I shoulnt a told you that, as Hagrid would say.
                                        Propslip

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 10:36:15 am »

The running gear has now been removed & cleaned up. The A frame supports on the propshafts have been fitted incorrectly see pictures, they seem more of a U frame. Correcting that would seem more trouble that its worth. Rule 2 applies. I will not rivet count, if its not 100% right & I can live with it, forget it. (At least on this build). At the stern the cut-outs on the quarterdeck have been cut out with a chain saw. After some work with a file they look a lot better. The same goes for the cut-out at the after end of the starboard side. As suspected there was little support for the deck. The good news is the deck came away cleanly so rule 1 applies, re-use. The bow decking is an issue. I wouldn't have touched it but unfortunately the recesses for the anchors have not been cut. Still thinking about that one.
                                     Propslip
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.