Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NI-MH cells unused but long time stored, any use?  (Read 2457 times)

PhilandIom

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
NI-MH cells unused but long time stored, any use?
« on: June 13, 2016, 09:55:36 am »

Hi all, I bought an unbuilt model boat hull, it came with new in bags batteries, 2 x 5 cell Deans marine and 1 x Overlander 5 cell. I have no idea how old they are but I'm guessing at least  five years. They are completely untouched or charged 6 volt NI-MH.

Is it worth my time and effort to recharge and cyle them a few times to see if the hold charge or save the effort and buy new?

Thanks, Phil

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: NI-MH cells unused but long time stored, any use?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 10:57:00 am »

I would start charging at a low Amp  rate.  Less loading.  If they charge up they should be fine thereafter.
If they refuse to charge or only partially charge then you may have to invest in new ones.  Having said that new batteries (in their original packaging) can often sit a long time on shelves before being sold.  Provided they have been stored at a reasonable temperature and not got damp they should be fine
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 06:23:24 pm »

A nicad cycler would charge them & see what capacity they are. If they have never been used they maybe OK, if left discharged then they tend to die.
Jim

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 06:31:48 pm »

NiCads, if properly discharged with an external load, can be brought back to life by proper recharging.  They can be stored virtually indefinitely like that and if gently reformed will be like new ones. 
If they were allowed to self discharge over time, different chemistry happens, and they don't always come back. 
So yes it is worth trying if they look OK.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 08:10:46 pm »

Please note that this question was about NiMh batteries.  The last two posts were about NiCd's
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 22 queries.