Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Things we have learned today!  (Read 2403 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Things we have learned today!
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:45:05 pm »

When a manufacturer states on the can 20 minute working time to gel and 30 minute to full set. Take it with a pinch of salt when working in hot climates!

250gms of grp resin later and it had gelled in 4 minutes! As the outside air temp is currently 36c and not much cooler in my toolroom, I've shoved the tin of resin in the freezer to chill down - I should have known when I picked it up and the can was warm that the cure time would be reduced, but eagerness to get on clouded my mind :} At least I didn't mix up a full kilo! This is going to be one long laminating job if I have to mix it up 250gms at a time!

p.s NOBODY tell swimbo I put it in the freezer! Just hope there is no residual smell, but it is inside a couple of plastic carrier bags so hopefully should be ok.

inertia

Re: Things we have learned today!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 02:21:03 pm »

Thanks for that, Brian. I'll try and remember it as I trudge through the wind and rain across the yard to the workshop..... 
36°C?? Bring it on, dude.  8)
DM

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 03:37:23 pm »

Thanks for that, Brian. I'll try and remember it as I trudge through the wind and rain across the yard to the workshop..... 
36°C?? Bring it on, dude.  8)
DM

I thought it would be ok Dave, its cooled somewhat since wednesday when it hit 40c, now that really is oppresive heat ok2 %)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 04:06:37 pm »

Silly question perhaps. Would a fan help it to go off? Not just cooling, but airflow.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 04:15:53 pm »

Think its working time Brian wants TT,
not help to get it to go off O0

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 05:19:48 pm »

Brian, when I worked for Camper & Nicholson yachts, we used to add a retardant to the catalyst in the hot weather, I remember it was purple in color, not sure about the formula though it wasn't my department, might be worth looking into, just a though as you no doubt get a lot of hot weather.  ;)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 06:52:13 pm »

Brian, when I worked for Camper & Nicholson yachts, we used to add a retardant to the catalyst in the hot weather, I remember it was purple in color, not sure about the formula though it wasn't my department, might be worth looking into, just a though as you no doubt get a lot of hot weather.  ;)

I ordered a 100ml today mate  :-)) But chilling the resin first is helping -  I think I've found the reason grp stuff is so hard to come by in SPain %) I've got a beer chiller and even that is struggling to get cans of beer down to room temp! I'm helping by putting bags of ice in it {-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 09:27:33 pm »

Beer and resin? Be careful not to pick up the wrong bottle! Laying up resin with beer will be difficult, but it will have a nice hoppy aroma:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 09:30:47 pm »

The other problem is that it's an exothermic reaction, so if you have a fairly deep volume it cooks itself off (as I once found to my cost - glass jar ... you can guess the rest  :embarrassed:  )
Now if I'm mixing up a largish amount of any resin/epoxy I try and use a fairly shallow container, so it can dissipate the reaction heat better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.