Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HobbyKing 120A Boat ESC Setup  (Read 3448 times)

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
HobbyKing 120A Boat ESC Setup
« on: July 11, 2016, 12:54:27 pm »

Hi Guys,

Does anybody have any experience with the 120A boat ESC from HobbyKing?

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__91922__HobbyKing_120A_Boat_ESC_4A_UBEC_UK_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=esc%20120a%20boat

I have programmed mine using the correct card, I am using the forward only / brake setup, but my question is this, when setting up the stick throw on the transmitter, the instructions only cover an ESC configured for forward and reverse running, in forward only mode I am also getting a tune from the motor that is not covered by the instructions.

Any ideas?

Alex

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HobbyKing 120A Boat ESC Setup
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 01:59:46 pm »

The tone is the esc going into programming mode. The esc can be programmed using a transmitter and it is interpreting your joystick movement as initialising the programming.

Turn off transmitter and esc power supply.
Turn on transmitter and wait a moment for it to settle down
Turn on esc power supply and do not touch the transmitter until the motor/esc have competed thier handshaking - 1 beep per battery cell and tune afterwards.

It is possible you removed the programming card before set up had completed, in that case repeat the setup with the card.

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:16:54 pm »

Hi Kinmel,

Th programming with the card went fine, what I am referring to is the process of teaching the ESC your Tx throttle lever range, the instructions state setting of all three positions of the stick, full forward, full reverse and neutral, but when the forward / brake only mode is selected, there is no mention of the setup being different, for example, full forward & full reverse only.

Alex

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 09:43:30 am »

My unit is a few years old and came without instructions. I just programmed it with the card and used it from there; it did not need to be calibrated to the throttle.

I have swapped between different 2.4  radio sets and then I just turn it all on and it works.

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 10:44:49 am »

This is the setup manual on HobbyKing's website, it is just a little confusing, in the paragraph entitled, "Set Throttle with Panel-type remote control) it says to start with the throttle in full forward, wait for the beep code listed and then move throttle to neutral, unless, "if you set full throttle, pull to the highest of reverse direction".

What I am trying to clarify is, is, "full throttle" forward only mode and if so, do you skip the neutral position in the setup sequence?

Alex

[I tried to attach the PDF manual from HK's website, by it exceeds the upload limit: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/842133110X337002X22.pdf]

PeachyPM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 11:07:27 am »

Morning Alex,
I know it isn't clear but in my experience it should work like this; if you have programmed your ESC with forward only - push your stick fully forward then turn the TX on & the RX, wait for the tune, pull the stick fully back, wait for the tune. that should have set it. now turn it all off. switch your TX back on (with the throttle stick fully back), then your RX. wait to hear the esc go through its cell count/checks, then push your stick forward. your motor should burst into action.
"Bismarck must be sunk at all costs ... even if it ... means towing King George V"

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 11:53:46 pm »

Hi Chris,

I tried this tonight and it is like you suggest, all appears to be working, just need to change the burnt motor now.

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.